On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:47 AM, SteveAJones said:

Halfin's photography is highly overrated.

At last, someone's said it! Because Halfin's work just looks like the usual bog-standard stuff to me.
It could be my bias - I remember him from the early 80s when he was known as 'Gross Halfwit' and was the butt of endless abuse and humiliation from bands like UFO,
so maybe I don't rate him cos of all the past associations, I dunno.
He comes across in interviews as a poisonous old toad, too, so that doesn't help...
Then again, nah - I honestly can't see anything special in his stuff and I'm not sure how he's acquired his current reputation - maybe just by outlasting the competition,
so younger bands view him as a figure from 'back in the day' who's worked with all their heroes? Dunno.
I can't figure out if Halfin's current guise as Jimmy's public arselicker and flunky works in his favour or not!  

15 hours ago, Brigante said:

At last, someone's said it! Because Halfin's work just looks like the usual bog-standard stuff to me.
It could be my bias - I remember him from the early 80s when he was known as 'Gross Halfwit' and was the butt of endless abuse and humiliation from bands like UFO,
so maybe I don't rate him cos of all the past associations, I dunno.
He comes across in interviews as a poisonous old toad, too, so that doesn't help...
Then again, nah - I honestly can't see anything special in his stuff and I'm not sure how he's acquired his current reputation - maybe just by outlasting the competition,
so younger bands view him as a figure from 'back in the day' who's worked with all their heroes? Dunno.
I can't figure out if Halfin's current guise as Jimmy's public arselicker and flunky works in his favour or not!  

Halfin has a stable of high profile clients (Jimmy Page, Kiss, Metallica, etc.) who hired him time and time again thru the years, and in so doing he has attained much visibility and some acclaim. However, I don't find his photography work to be all that remarkable. The "turn your back to the crowd" shots have become a parody and a cliche, and he just doesn't capture moments in a way some others do. Photographing a live music performance properly is all about energy, angles and lighting. Halfin is very good indeed at what he does, but I find his overall body of work to be par for the course. I would cite KEN SETTLE (see Ken Settle Photography on Facebook) as the epitome of a photographer who masterfully incorporates energy, angles and lighting into his concert shots. Ken, as a bonus, is among the nicest people anyone could ever hope to meet and he freely shares his best work online. So let's go. Let's make Ken Settle rich!      

Archived