Hurricane Irma

Walter

Here's some music to go with your hurricane drinks, Walter! I hope Paul's silence doesn't portend anything serious. If you have trouble getting wifi during the storm just text me your family's picks and I'll post them for you.

I have been watching the news reports about people so called price "gouging" bottled water, what scum bags. As there are a lot of guns in those parts maybe a gouger or two will meet with some well deserved karma.

Now it looks like it's going up the west coast of Florida. That's means we'll be on the east side of the storm, which is not a good thing for us.  Miami will be much better off though. Could be like Charlie back in '04 and cut across the state after being projected to go up the west coast. Who knows....

3 hours ago, BledZabbath said:

Stay safe Walter and all in Irma's path.

Thank you brotha! We're set and ready. Everything that can be done, outside of evacuation has been completed. ✌🏻

3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

The satellite track i just saw has it going up the West cost of Fl and slamming Ft Myers and Naples.  My grandmother when alive had her condo in Ft Myers where i used to visit.  Just saw a pic of Hollywood beach and the winds are very high

Yes, which puts us in the east side of the storm. Between 87-91 degree water temp in the Florida Straits. Fuel for the fire once she gets off the Cuban coastline, which she hugged since last night.  Gonna be a 5 when she hits, in my opinion. Probably around the same place Charlie hit back in '04 as a cat 4. If it hits Tampa straight on, that will be catastrophic. They are already about under sea level. It's been so highly unpredictable that I don't doubt it'll still come this way. Prayers to everyone effected already and those still to come. I just wish it would come on already.

Walter Jr was riding his bike around the neighborhood earlier and was surprised of the winds already out there. He really is taking to meteorology, which is something I've always had a huge interest in and would've pursued if I had it all to do over again.  

5 hours ago, kingzoso said:

Stay safe.

Thanks King. It's all coming down tomorrow.  Eerily calm tonight, walking home from a neighbors house.

3 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

Yes - stay safe...

Thanks FE. I appreciate it. Gonna start the day with some shrimp and grits with champagne. Then having a neighbor over for football until the satellite or power go out. He's a Redskins fan - yuck! But during the tough times, you have to take in the less fortunate! ;) 

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Thank you brotha! We're set and ready. Everything that can be done, outside of evacuation has been completed. ✌🏻

Yes, which puts us in the east side of the storm. Between 87-91 degree water temp in the Florida Straits. Fuel for the fire once she gets off the Cuban coastline, which she hugged since last night.  Gonna be a 5 when she hits, in my opinion. Probably around the same place Charlie hit back in '04 as a cat 4. If it hits Tampa straight on, that will be catastrophic. They are already about under sea level. It's been so highly unpredictable that I don't doubt it'll still come this way. Prayers to everyone effected already and those still to come. I just wish it would come on already.

Indeed Walter.  Good luck to you and I am worried about my relatives in sunrise.  I think too complacent after surviving the night in their closets when Andrew hit.  This is in a high rise.  The place was swaying.  Kind of like the some bridges that have been known to do that during high winds.  I have stood in 80 mph wind in 1978 in Chicago.  Unreal.  So I cannot imagine anyone being able to stand for 185.  No way.  I had trouble fighting 80 plus and was much younger then.  Gas prices have spiked nationally.  Good luck and prayers to all that are in harms way.

8 minutes ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Indeed Walter.  Good luck to you and I am worried about my relatives in sunrise.  I think too complacent after surviving the night in their closets when Andrew hit.  This is in a high rise.  The place was swaying.  Kind of like the some bridges that have been known to do that during high winds.  I have stood in 80 mph wind in 1978 in Chicago.  Unreal.  So I cannot imagine anyone being able to stand for 185.  No way.  I had trouble fighting 80 plus and was much younger then.  Gas prices have spiked nationally.  Good luck and prayers to all that are in harms way.

Thanks Rick! I hope your relatives get through fine. Here is the latest radar with my location at the blue dot:  

IMG_1419.JPG

Look at this damn fool out in the storm on the weather channel.  Above and beyond the call of duty.  So I can say Landfall?  They are calling it  cat 4 right now.  Ft Myers Beach, a place I love, must be  wreck right now?  And Naples, there are many expensive boats there. This guy can hardly stand up.  Unreal

No CNN just said in next few hours landfall between Naples and Tampa.  Quite a distance.  But they expect it to veer off of Tampa a bit. These broadcasters are really taking chances.  One piece of the wrong flying debris could do a number on them.  They have a woman out there in rain gear and struggling to stand.   Winds in Naples area are going to be 135 I guess.  Keys getting it now

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Look at this damn fool out in the storm on the weather channel.  Above and beyond the call of duty.  So I can say Landfall?  They are calling it  cat 4 right now.  Ft Myers Beach, a place I love, must be  wreck right now?  And Naples, there are many expensive boats there. This guy can hardly stand up.  Unreal

No CNN just said in next few hours landfall between Naples and Tampa.  Quite a distance.  But they expect it to veer off of Tampa a bit. These broadcasters are really taking chances.  One piece of the wrong flying debris could do a number on them.  They have a woman out there in rain gear and struggling to stand.   Winds in Naples area are going to be 135 I guess.  Keys getting it now

I've been watching CNN, did you see the woman reporter almost get hit by a falling sign post. I remember during the build up to Katrina a Fox reporter (Shep Smith ?) almost being blown over. You have to be nuts to do that job, hope they get paid well.

3 hours ago, JTM said:

I've been watching CNN, did you see the woman reporter almost get hit by a falling sign post. I remember during the build up to Katrina a Fox reporter (Shep Smith ?) almost being blown over. You have to be nuts to do that job, hope they get paid well.

I am sure they are being paid well.  But its above and beyond the call of duty

If your interested in seeing live reports outside the Weather Channel and the cable news networks their are some local live feeds available.  Both of these stations are from the Fort Myers/Naples area, which will probably get the worst of Irma in Florida.  Crazy scenes from San Marco Island as the northern eye wall was just entering nearby.

15 hours ago, Walter said:

Thanks FE. I appreciate it. Gonna start the day with some shrimp and grits with champagne. Then having a neighbor over for football until the satellite or power go out. He's a Redskins fan - yuck! But during the tough times, you have to take in the less fortunate! ;) 

Well, maybe the Eagles can do us a solid, and you can care for this unfortunate soul and giggle under your breath at the same time. :D

Grits - a Southern delicacy that I became acquainted with when I was dating someone from South Carolina (who was originally from Orlando). I have to say that I quite liked them. Hang in there - I hope you get to see at least some of the Cowboys game; if not, I'll cheer extra hard on your behalf. :)

15 minutes ago, Walter said:

Still going strong.  Here's the latest radar:

I'm just watching CNN and the eye is passing Naples - and there is not even a wisp of wind. I read about that but I couldn't imagine the silence in the eye of a storm. And now I see the pictures. That's very strange. I hope, there is not too much damage when the water comes back.

Walter, good luck for your beautiful new casa. I hope you and your familiy stay safe.

Archived