Hurricane Irma

Walter

On 9/12/2017 at 1:06 PM, Walter said:

South Florida schools closed until further notice. 25% of all homes in the keys completely destroyed. The reports coming in are just devastating.  Thankfully it wasn't as bad as it could've been though...

1 hour ago, Walter said:

That's horrible Rick. Central Florida should have all power by Sunday night. It's been hot and dry since the storm. South Florida is a mess. 🙏🏻 Go out to them and all others in the keys and coast.  Paul?

Damn, that's horrible to hear about the keys, but glad to hear you, your family, and your house made it through okay. Hopefully the power will come back on ASAP. Stay safe out there!

11 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

Damn, that's horrible to hear about the keys, but glad to hear you, your family, and your house made it through okay. Hopefully the power will come back on ASAP. Stay safe out there!

Thanks. Heard estimates for 90% of the homes in the keys are damaged.  The east side of the storm is so much stronger.  Miami is messed up, up through w. palm.

13 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I have always considered buying a generator but where to hook it up here with my electrical situation I am not sure?  The ones that kick in automatically are the best ones.  The pull start gas ones cost $500 or so.  Two ice storms here made many buy one

We have a small one that will run the fridge, pellet stove and TV. We definitely need a bigger one. Sure would like to have a Generac. We also need to hookup our wood stove again.

So sorry to any of our friends here that are dealing with the horrible mess in Florida.

If you are considering a generator, really the only way to go, is a whole house generator. We have one, it is connected to our natural gas line, the best way to go. No playing around with what to connect to it, & worrying about fuel running out. Now it is costly, however where we live, we can lose power on a clear sunny day. What we have saved in not having to throw out food, & staying at a hotel, it has already paid for itself.

10 hours ago, The Rover 75 said:

So sorry to any of our friends here that are dealing with the horrible mess in Florida.

If you are considering a generator, really the only way to go, is a whole house generator. We have one, it is connected to our natural gas line, the best way to go. No playing around with what to connect to it, & worrying about fuel running out. Now it is costly, however where we live, we can lose power on a clear sunny day. What we have saved in not having to throw out food, & staying at a hotel, it has already paid for itself.

You lose power on a sunny day? 😮

13 hours ago, Strider said:

You lose power on a sunny day? 😮

Actually it is quite possible here, that why we have a whole house generator. As mentioned by redrum, we have a Generac, & so glad we do. I highly recommend that as the way to go, if you are considering getting one, you won't be disappointed.

7 hours ago, apantherfrommd said:

I doubt if any generators were stolen in this video. It doesn't look like looting for food either.

Thugs rescuing shoes.

Low life thieving scumbag maggots, cowardly hiding in their  face masks and hoodies, so glad some of them got caught.

5 hours ago, JTM said:

Low life thieving scumbag maggots, cowardly hiding in their  face masks and hoodies, so glad some of them got caught.

Yep! Too many taking advantage of a bad situation.  At least some got caught...

Edit: more info on Miami looting

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-irma-looting/more-than-50-arrested-for-looting-in-miami-during-irma-police-idUSKCN1BN2RA

This is just insane.  Maria is following the same path as Irma and when you don't have anything regarding the jet stream and upper level winds to tear it a part, these storms get too strong.  They say global warming but not too sure.  When Harvey hit Texas it was 12 years since a category 4 hit the USA mainland and we have two this year and Irma too.  To me it's not global warming but an El Nino or La Nina interference.  Must be a La Nina year.  In general the hurricanes in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico are far more frequent and severe as the La Nina influence does not have the upper level winds to rip these storms apart as El Nino does but has the opposite effect in the Pacific.  Not been that active over there this year and not surprised.  Not a weather expert, but I research these things a lot.

I heart goes out to those in Maria's path and hope for the best as especially looks like a direct hit coming for PR.  I have some friends there and praying for them and have been in contact with them!

Didn't want to start another hurricane thread for Maria but pretty grave for PR.  The entire island is out of power and that being 100% unless you have a generator.  They don't have the power grids we have in the USA and not as good.  Will take up to six months for some areas to have power restored.  At least 90%of PR doesn't have water and this just the beginning reports.  It will only get worse once things can be assessed and areas can be reached.

The most beyond belief thing with this storm I saw on the Weather Channel a couple of hours ago and most may not believe it as having a hard time fathoming it.  A river called Rio de Plata ( I think that's the full name) is SW of San Juan in probably the east central area of PR.  Many areas in grave flood situations all over the island.  One area of this river and is surrounded by mountains on both sides.  Normal water levels are 11 feet and will flood at  around 20 feet.  The highest previous level they had and I forget when it happened was about 29 feet, which is quite extreme.

This is the most extreme hurricane to hit PR since 1928 and 90 years so quite the event.  Going on with the river level, the Weather Channel has reported that the current river level of the above is at 79 feet and you read that right!  Never heard of something like that.  Why the WC is probably questioning the accuracy of it.  What's even scarier is PR is expecting much more rain from Maria and with so many mountains on the island it could become quite grave.  I have friends on the island and hope they are ok.  They live in the SW part of PR! 

They need our prayers and influence from a higher source with this catastrophic situation!

On 9/15/2017 at 8:27 PM, apantherfrommd said:

I doubt if any generators were stolen in this video. It doesn't look like looting for food either.

Thugs rescuing shoes.

I'm sure they tried them on before taking them. :lol: Morons.

The two guys on the left still sporting the 'pants on the ground look.' Morons.

• 1 month later...

Archived