Boots of P and P touring in the 90's

Bozoso73

I am all about Zep boots. .  .I was never really a fan of what Percy and Jimmy did together in the 90's. .I was surprised to find out that the boys did shows that were almost all Zep tunes mixed in with some newer stuff. . As Im just now getting into it, and looking for some guidance,  what are the gold standard of boots to have of the P&P years?  Since there was no Peter Grant and Richard Cole's around to put a foot up someone arse when they saw recording equipment, Ill bet there is some great video of shows as well. . Im sure this subject has been spoken of before I just wanted to get some newer perspectives (if there are any:)

THX ZEP HEADS:)

I would recommend you do a search here; there are some threads that have good lists.

That said, totally off the top of my head:

2-13, 2-15, and 2-17-1996 Japan tour: Great Zep stuff, great performances, available in great soundboard quality

3-25, 7-14, 8-23, 9-23, 10-1, and 12-10 1998 US and European tour: Even more Zep-oriented, and Page is back to 1973 level of playing on some shows.

On 9/9/2017 at 4:24 PM, tmtomh said:

I would recommend you do a search here; there are some threads that have good lists.

That said, totally off the top of my head:

2-13, 2-15, and 2-17-1996 Japan tour: Great Zep stuff, great performances, available in great soundboard quality

3-25, 7-14, 8-23, 9-23, 10-1, and 12-10 1998 US and European tour: Even more Zep-oriented, and Page is back to 1973 level of playing on some shows.

excellent I thank you for this. . 

27 minutes ago, IpMan said:

I would argue that 96' - 2000' was some of Jimmy's best years playing. He may not be quite as fast as the Zeppelin years but his playing has greater depth and emotion IMO.

Agreed

R😎

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

I only usually play '98 boots as some of them have exceptionally good playing from jimmy and/or awesome sound quality. 

My most frequents include Paris (30/3/98),  Shepherds Bush (25/3/98) and New Orleans (date escapes me). 

Oops, forgot about 3-30 Paris - yes, that's a great one. The New Orleans one is the 10-1 show I noted above. I think New Orleans is my absolute favorite, although it seems most P&P hardcore fans always point to 8-23 (Cologne).

57 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

Oops, forgot about 3-30 Paris - yes, that's a great one. The New Orleans one is the 10-1 show I noted above. I think New Orleans is my absolute favorite, although it seems most P&P hardcore fans always point to 8-23 (Cologne).

Don't think I've heard Cologne. Isn't that a shortened festival set? 

I saw them in Manchester on that tour. Terrible acoustics at the venue ruined it. No Quarter was epic though 

21 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Gonna download Cologne. There is a DVD out there on Cologne - is that a boot or official? If it's official and hence multitracks I may get that and separate the audio for when I'm in work.

otherwise I'm assuming it's a soundboard? 

Cologne is soundboard but no official CD or DVD. The highlights of 95'-98' have been mentioned, but 98' there really

aren't any bad or even average shows. Page was going full blast, but 95' there were some shows where Jimmy

was a bit erratic here and there, but mainly early in the first leg of the US tour. Even 95'-96' there really aren't bad 

shows, just that Jimmy played amazing in 98', and 95'-96' Jimmy usually did well, but not the gunslinger of 98'.

20 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Gonna download Cologne. There is a DVD out there on Cologne - is that a boot or official? If it's official and hence multitracks I may get that and separate the audio for when I'm in work.

otherwise I'm assuming it's a soundboard? 

Cologne is a Festival set, though fairly long for one. The video is proshot. The audio is live-mixed-down for TV/FM broadcast, so technically a soundboard but a very good-sounding one.

My personal favorite 1998 show, thinking of the balance between sound, setlist, performance quality, and overall vibe, is the 10-1 New Orleans one.

The only truly official (and official sound quality) multitrack mixdown sources for live Page-Plant on tour are:

1. 3 tracks from the 3-25-98 Shepherd's Bush show (available on a Japan CD-single/EP of "Shining in the Light")
  2. 4 tracks from a 12-10-98 multi-artist Amnesty International benefit concert (available on the DVD of that concert)

In addition, there is a professional multi-track mixdown "out there" from an aborted official release, consisting of 5 tracks from the 04-01-95 Auburn Hills/Detroit show (note this is a '95 show, not '98).

There's also a Westwood One source, which is a professional mixdown, of the 5-20-95 San Jose show but it contains only 11 out of the 17(?) songs performed that night.

Of the three, the Shepherd's Bush tracks sound the best, although the Amnesty show tracks sound nearly as good. The 1995 tracks sound very nice, but the mix/mastering is a bit bass-shy. The Westwood One source sounds great, but just a notch below the sound quality of the '98 shows IMHO.

It's really a shame that there never was an official release of a full 1998 show (or a composite show drawn from multiple dates). It would be great if Page would do one - and if Plant would let him do it - to mark the 20th anniversary of that tour.

12 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Cologne is a Festival set, though fairly long for one. The video is proshot. The audio is live-mixed-down for TV/FM broadcast, so technically a soundboard but a very good-sounding one.

My personal favorite 1998 show, thinking of the balance between sound, setlist, performance quality, and overall vibe, is the 10-1 New Orleans one.

The only truly official (and official sound quality) multitrack mixdown sources for live Page-Plant on tour are:

1. 3 tracks from the 3-25-98 Shepherd's Bush show (available on a Japan CD-single/EP of "Shining in the Light")
  2. 4 tracks from a 12-10-98 multi-artist Amnesty International benefit concert (available on the DVD of that concert)

In addition, there is a professional multi-track mixdown "out there" from an aborted official release, consisting of 5 tracks from the 04-01-95 Auburn Hills/Detroit show (note this is a '95 show, not '98).

There's also a Westwood One source, which is a professional mixdown, of the 5-20-95 San Jose show but it contains only 11 out of the 17(?) songs performed that night.

Of the three, the Shepherd's Bush tracks sound the best, although the Amnesty show tracks sound nearly as good. The 1995 tracks sound very nice, but the mix/mastering is a bit bass-shy. The Westwood One source sounds great, but just a notch below the sound quality of the '98 shows IMHO.

It's really a shame that there never was an official release of a full 1998 show (or a composite show drawn from multiple dates). It would be great if Page would do one - and if Plant would let him do it - to mark the 20th anniversary of that tour.

Maybe one will show up on Page's website after he releases The Yardbirds live cd / vinyl in November. 

R😎

On 9/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, IpMan said:

I would argue that 96' - 2000' was some of Jimmy's best years playing. He may not be quite as fast as the Zeppelin years but his playing has greater depth and emotion IMO.

...and within that run nearly every show from July to October 1995 or from August to October 1998 is exceptional.

Yeah, and strangely I have heard some Zep fans shun these shows, saying it's not really Zeppelin. Maybe so, but all Zep

fans should give this live stuff a listen, many of the critics I conclude never even listened to this stuff.. It's impossible

to ignore Robert and particularly Jimmy creating  such a potent blitzkrieg which is usually only heard in young and

upcoming bands.

On 11/09/2017 at 0:33 PM, IpMan said:

Could not agree more with this. For those of you who haven't yet heard No Quarter from 30/3/98 check it out. It is absolutely outstanding. Jimmys playing is just breathtaking 

The radio broadcasts they did for Westwood One's Superstar Concert Series sounded excellent! There are two that I am aware of, one from 1995 at the Shark Tank in San Jose, Ca. and the other from1998 in New Orleans, La.

Archived