Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
porgie66

Auction of Bonham's Black Diamond Ludwig kit from 68/69

Recommended Posts

sixpense   
5 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Not to me.  The hoops in the Marquee pics are definitely Slingerland round over style, not Ludwig. Also the lugs in the B and W Marquee picture are clearly more rounded, Slingerland. Those are definitely not Ludwig lugs.  The color pic shows the bass drum spurs which are much different than the Luddy's , there are two larger spurs... the Ludwig has 4 smaller spurs. The color pic also looks like green sparkle which would be consistent with other descriptions of the Slingerland kit. Again, I wish there was just one clear pic of Bonham's drums from this time. 

We agree to disagree.

 

Note that in the A Thunder of Drums book, the other kits that Bonham owned nowhere is a Slingerland kit listed. I believe the kit was rented for the first tour before recording LZ I. Given that the Marquee gig is local (within England) Bonzo probably used his own kit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
porgie66   
28 minutes ago, sixpense said:

We agree to disagree.

 

Note that in the A Thunder of Drums book, the other kits that Bonham owned nowhere is a Slingerland kit listed. I believe the kit was rented for the first tour before recording LZ I. Given that the Marquee gig is local (within England) Bonzo probably used his own kit.  

That book is not gospel, no book is. The story about Bonzo playing a Green Sparkle Ludwig kit comes from a musicians memory in that book if I'm not mistaken. Someone he played with in the way Of Life or Band Of Joy or whatever. That person's memory may be wrong, it could be in fact he was playing the Slingerland green sparkle back then and they thought it was a Ludwig kit. Who knows, maybe he had Ludwig and Slingerland green kits??   You disagree and that's fine, but in those pics from the Marquee club he's clearly playing a Slingerland kit.  I pointed out the distinctive features, the 'setomatic' spurs, the rounded hoops, the lugs, the greenish sparkle color. I doubt that was a rental and if it was then it was rented until Dec of 68 when they played the Marquee. The main question I raised here is anyway is who made the claim that this BDP kit was used for Led Zep 4?  That seems to be an important claim given the provenance...it seems specious to me. 

Edited by porgie66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
porgie66   

If you're a drummer, you'll notice...the tom mount in this photo from the Marquee gig is a Roger's Swiv-o-matic, not Slingerland. So the mount is actually different than the one on the Scandinavian gigs. I bet he owned that kit, and swapped out the original tom mount for the Rogers . He seems to have preferred Roger's hardware. He used their stands, and he used a Swivo mount on the maple tom eventually.  Clearly the Ludwig BDP kit Plant is standing over does not have a swivo mount. That is not this kit.

1968-marquee-cl-02.jpg.bbc33c1821753476345fc7219ab9aca6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bozoso73   
On 9/13/2017 at 0:21 AM, porgie66 said:

Maybe but the 13 tom would look smaller on a 24. That's most likely the kit in the pics with Plant that will be auctioned, which looks to me like a 22. 

I think your right after a second look. . 

Edited by Bozoso73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixpense   

Tried to find another larger scan of the Marquee photo. Best one I could find was from Led Zeppelin: The Concert File by Dave Lewis.

I scanned the image. Then took the image and removed the red/orange to take a closer look at the logo behind Jimmy's knee. I zoomed in on the image to see the black shadow (which is the logo) and it does't appear to be a "d". The upper stem of the letter is not showing as black there. (Lead me to believe it is a "g".)

 

 

Image (244).jpg

Marquee Adjusted.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
IpMan   

Hey, I hear they are auctioning off a set of Jimmy's underwear from the first tour of England back in 68'. The auction description says they are Fruit of the Loom however four groupies and a proctologist all swear Jimmy exclusively wore BVD's. 

Anyone with inside info? Anyone?

Edited by IpMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sixpense   
On 9/13/2017 at 6:49 PM, porgie66 said:

That book is not gospel, no book is. The story about Bonzo playing a Green Sparkle Ludwig kit comes from a musicians memory in that book if I'm not mistaken. Someone he played with in the way Of Life or Band Of Joy or whatever. That person's memory may be wrong, it could be in fact he was playing the Slingerland green sparkle back then and they thought it was a Ludwig kit. Who knows, maybe he had Ludwig and Slingerland green kits??   You disagree and that's fine, but in those pics from the Marquee club he's clearly playing a Slingerland kit.  I pointed out the distinctive features, the 'setomatic' spurs, the rounded hoops, the lugs, the greenish sparkle color. I doubt that was a rental and if it was then it was rented until Dec of 68 when they played the Marquee. The main question I raised here is anyway is who made the claim that this BDP kit was used for Led Zep 4?  That seems to be an important claim given the provenance...it seems specious to me. 

I never claimed it was gospel. unfortunately, it is the only publication out there with documentation. ( Welsh actually talks to Dave Peg (bass player from A Way of Life) Bonzo's Drum tech etc including specifics as to how many springs were on the snare and at what time) (Dave Peg states that Bonzo was using a green sparkle Ludwig in the Band)

It is your opinion about it being "clear"  that the Marquee gig is a Slingerland. I don't share that opinion. The lugs size alone doesn't match the Slingerland.

The book doesn't mention anywhere Bonzo owning a Slingerland. It does mention him owning s few Gretsch kits. I believe one can be seen in the recently uncovered 1968 promo for Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

Not the John Bonham bible or encyclopedia but a fair representation of Bonzo's equipment. The bottom line to the book was Bonzo was a Ludwig player all the way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
porgie66   
9 minutes ago, sixpense said:

I never claimed it was gospel. unfortunately, it is the only publication out there with documentation. ( Welsh actually talks to Dave Peg (bass player from A Way of Life) Bonzo's Drum tech etc including specifics as to how many springs were on the snare and at what time) (Dave Peg states that Bonzo was using a green sparkle Ludwig in the Band)

It is your opinion about it being "clear"  that the Marquee gig is a Slingerland. I don't share that opinion. The lugs size alone doesn't match the Slingerland.

The book doesn't mention anywhere Bonzo owning a Slingerland. It does mention him owning s few Gretsch kits. I believe one can be seen in the recently uncovered 1968 promo for Babe I'm Gonna Leave You.

Not the John Bonham bible or encyclopedia but a fair representation of Bonzo's equipment. The bottom line to the book was Bonzo was a Ludwig player all the way. 

Good grief, I give up.

I still want to know who made the statement that the BDP kit was used for the 4th album ? That kind of nerdy, drum geek lore is of interest to me. I know it rates lower than Fruit of the Loom vs BVDs for most. 🕵️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Good grief, I give up.

I still want to know who made the statement that the BDP kit was used for the 4th album ? That kind of nerdy, drum geek lore is of interest to me. I know it rates lower than Fruit of the Loom vs BVDs for most. 🕵️

Look you're both wrong! Anyone with an ounce of intelligence can pearly see he's playing a Bentley rhythm Ace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another thing: in the shot from behind, Bonham appears to be wearing a short-sleeved t shirt, and Page light colored pants. In the shot(s) from the front, Page is in a tan jacket and dark pants and Bonham looks to be wearing a long sleeved shirt. Different gigs at the Marquee perhaps?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mook   

I'm with Porgie, the Marquee kit is definitely not a Ludwig, it looks like a Slingerland to me looking at the lugs & I've owned Ludwig & Slingerland kits from that era so have spent many hours looking at these things like a sad girfriendless odball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
porgie66   
5 hours ago, Mook said:

I'm with Porgie, the Marquee kit is definitely not a Ludwig, it looks like a Slingerland to me looking at the lugs & I've owned Ludwig & Slingerland kits from that era so have spent many hours looking at these things like a sad girfriendless odball.

Ha! Who needs girlfriends when you're into drums. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
porgie66   
7 hours ago, Bonzoleum said:

Another thing: in the shot from behind, Bonham appears to be wearing a short-sleeved t shirt, and Page light colored pants. In the shot(s) from the front, Page is in a tan jacket and dark pants and Bonham looks to be wearing a long sleeved shirt. Different gigs at the Marquee perhaps?

Yes, very astute observations on both  Marquee pics. The tom tom does look like a 12 in that pic from behind! That's a swivo holder too, which ain't on the BDP kit. That's a Slingerland all day long. Maybe another drummers kit or house kit at the club. 

Edited by porgie66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
porgie66   

Since it appears the JB Memorial Fund has raised enough funds for the monument/statue then I assume this kit doesn't need to be auctioned for that purpose. If £ 50,000 was the goal then this drumset's auction would very likely come close or exceed that mark. Since the memorial was meant to be a tribute by Bonzo's home town , that would also negate the grass roots sourcing of the funds. I still find this photo shoot with Plant and the statement about the kit being used for Zep 4 as being very odd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×