2nd Source Snippet Used On TYG from 6/21/77. Does more exist? (edit: YES!)

LedElvis75

On 9/23/2017 at 5:55 AM, sam_webmaster said:

Great find. Description from the taper:

"This is my own recording of the epic opening night of Led Zeppelins' 6 night LA Forum run on June 21, 1977. It's from a small hand held recorder so quality varies. This show is generally considered one of Zeppelins' best shows ever. It is also the night that the most famous bootleg of Zeppelin "Listen to This Eddie" was recorded. My recording has some cuts and is missing several parts but there is almost 3 full hours of the show. One of my favorite parts is hearing (and remembering) the crowd going crazy when Bonzo started into Rock and Roll during the encore even thought it was 1:30 in the morning. The acoustic set was amazing and came out pretty good on the recording. What an amazing night! Still the best show that I've ever seen!"

Thanks, Sam. It's great to see new / alternate sources coming forward, as I'm sure we'll see more, being the surviving members are in their late 60s and early 70s  as well as senior / active tapers/ fans who were there are now wanting to share their experiences before it's too late. I really do hope an official / authorized bootleg series is in the works (to cover 68-80 live). *That would be a great way to start a 50th Anniversary celebration next year.* 

R😎

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 1:34 AM, porgie66 said:

I think it's really odd that Moby Dick from Seattle was spliced in, rather than use Millard's source, but the poster said he made a mistake and mixed up tracks on his itunes folder.  Hopefully it will get transferred properly, lossless and shared . The tape has great atmosphere even though it's inferior to Millard's tape. My favorite part was hearing the roar of the crowd.  Rock and Roll is way fast, it's a half step sharp!

The atmosphere is fantastic!  A different perspective for sure, which is why I made this thread on it.  I don't care how inferior this is to Eddie, it's cool as hell listening to another source of this legendary show.  Awesome find.

Agreed! Listening to them warm up with different crowd noise is very cool. The songs have Bonham more in the front and Jimmy in the back a little more. I think the quality is good. Not MM good, but better than a lot of other shows I've enjoyed. Only gotten through the first 3 numbers, but I'm digging it big time! Thanks to Strider for sending me a link! 🤘🏻😎

I'm the guy with the alternative to LTTE.  I finally made it back onto the LZ Forum. I've been reading the posts about my Youtube posting of the June 21, 1977 Zeppelin Forum show. I'd forgotten my password and couldn't sign in.  As I stated on the youtube posting this version is cobbled together from the iTunes playlist that I had made years ago of my recording from the show. I messed up at some point years ago and somehow putthe Seattle version of Moby Dick on that playlist.  When I get this redone it will have the correct version of MB. There is some speculation that Whole Lotta Love and RnR are from LTTE but unless I messed up again (and I won't know until I re-hear the original tape) it is the copy from my tape. I definitely will get it transferred in a better format.  Several people have reached out to me to assist this transfer.  Right now I'm planning on giving it to a friend in the Bay Area for transfer to a better digital format in 2 weeks.  I live in San Luis Obispo, CA and if there is anyone that lives nearby and has the ability and equipment to transfer it before then that would be awesome. I would really love to hear it when it's done right.

As for why it took 40 years to get this out, I have no great reason.  There was already LTTE (which I've had for about 20 years). I just simply didn't know there was a great demand- Sorry!

I've listened to this show since June 22, 1977 and can still remember so many things from the show by having the tape. I'm completely stoked that people like it. I still get chills just listening to the first notes of TSRTS.

I will post as soon as I get done.  I would love to hear the quality enhanced and done right.

Take care, Gary

P.S. the reason that I call it "listen to This Erik" is in honor of my longtime friend Erik.  He unfortunately was so wasted at the show that he couldn't remember anything! Bad choice on his part!

14 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

The atmosphere is fantastic!  A different perspective for sure, which is why I made this thread on it.  I don't care how inferior this is to Eddie, it's cool as hell listening to another source of this legendary show.  Awesome find.

Sorry didn't mean to repost your post- just trying to reply! Still learning about this forum. Here's my reply:

Thanks. The crowd is one thing I'll always remember from that night. It was insane. They were scheduled to come on at 7:30 and by the time they came on there was mass hysteria.  When they walked onstage there were so many flashbulbs going off it look like someone had turned on a strobe light. My tape definitely captures that. It was insane. I'm stoked to see so many people like it. I can't wait to get a better version made.  It will get done and I'll share it as soon as I get it. Take care, Gary

39 minutes ago, gbauer1 said:

Sorry didn't mean to repost your post- just trying to reply! Still learning about this forum. Here's my reply:

Thanks. The crowd is one thing I'll always remember from that night. It was insane. They were scheduled to come on at 7:30 and by the time they came on there was mass hysteria.  When they walked onstage there were so many flashbulbs going off it look like someone had turned on a strobe light. My tape definitely captures that. It was insane. I'm stoked to see so many people like it. I can't wait to get a better version made.  It will get done and I'll share it as soon as I get it. Take care, Gary

That vibe is indeed captured abundantly on your tape.  Strider's story about being there , and your tape are very complimentary to each other. Its tremendous to have these documents in vivid detail. I'm glad to hear you intend to have your tape transferred with care. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say , your generosity in sharing the recording will be immensely appreciated. :notworthy:

10 hours ago, gbauer1 said:

This is just fantastic. I had no idea when I made this thread last week that we'd be talking about an entirely different and nearly complete source like this.  You've instantly become a legend my friend.

17 hours ago, porgie66 said:

That vibe is indeed captured abundantly on your tape.  Strider's story about being there , and your tape are very complimentary to each other. Its tremendous to have these documents in vivid detail. I'm glad to hear you intend to have your tape transferred with care. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say , your generosity in sharing the recording will be immensely appreciated. :notworthy:

Agreed! Very generous of you, Gary!

7 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

This is just fantastic. I had no idea when I made this thread last week that we'd be talking about an entirely different and nearly complete source like this.  You've instantly become a legend my friend.

Agreed! Actually hearing from the man who made the recording makes it even that much better! 

Thanks again, Gary! ✌🏻

I've made arrangements to have the original 6/21/77 tapes redone by one of the best guys around. I did make a 2nd copy very early and never played the original after that.  Not sure what the conditions of the tapes are but I have unbelievable confidence that the tapes will be done to their best possible sound. I'm more anxious than anyone to hear it. I'll get it out as soon as I get it.  I'm planning on posting to as many free sites as possible.

Just so stoked that people are enjoying it for what is-  a very raw raucous f'ing unbelievably loud epic Zeppelin show. From June 22 (when then show actually ended:))  to now I can't help but get chills every time listening as Page hits that first note of TSRTS, also Page strolling out from the drum riser just as he starts the Stairway solo, and when Bonzo kicks off Rock and Roll (insane crowd reaction!).  This was a night I'll never forget (even thought Erik did) and this tape has made it a very vivid memory for me even to this day.  Peace, Gary

12 minutes ago, gbauer1 said:

I've made arrangements to have the original 6/21/77 tapes redone by one of the best guys around. I did make a 2nd copy very early and never played the original after that.  Not sure what the conditions of the tapes are but I have unbelievable confidence that the tapes will be done to their best possible sound. I'm more anxious than anyone to hear it. I'll get it out as soon as I get it.  I'm planning on posting to as many free sites as possible.

Just so stoked that people are enjoying it for what is-  a very raw raucous f'ing unbelievably loud epic Zeppelin show. From June 22 (when then show actually ended:))  to now I can't help but get chills every time listening as Page hits that first note of TSRTS, also Page strolling out from the drum riser just as he starts the Stairway solo, and when Bonzo kicks off Rock and Roll (insane crowd reaction!).  This was a night I'll never forget (even thought Erik did) and this tape has made it a very vivid memory for me even to this day.  Peace, Gary

First of all, thank you so much for taping this show and sharing it with the world! It's amazing to hear an iconic show like this from a different point of view, and it's especially amazing to hear it in this quality. Sure, LTTE has the instruments and songs come across very well, but it's somewhat lacking in terms of the crowd and overall atmosphere (minus those few idiots shouting throughout). Your source has that in spades. I really got a sense of just how nuts people were going to see Zeppelin in person. As someone who wasn't even alive when Bonzo died, stuff like this brings me the closest I'll ever come to experiencing them live.

Hope everything goes well with the transfer of the tape. I think I speak for everyone here when I say I can't wait to hear it in its best possible quality!

5 hours ago, gbauer1 said:

As Bonzo would have said, I'm dead chuffed at this news! My fingers are crossed that all goes well.

To me, this is similar to when the guy found his tape of the late show of September 19, 1970 at Madison Square Garden after being stuck in a closet for thirty years.

As I always say, better late than never. One can only hope this inspires other people to dig and who knows what will turn up. I have always been convinced that every Forum show had multiple sources...Millard was not the only taper in Los Angeles.

With your tape Gary, besides the incredible vibe you capture, I like how "Ten Years Gone" is complete. Also, do you remember how long you kept the tape running after the end of the concert? Did you stop it immediately when the house lights came on after "Rock and Roll" or did you let it roll a bit to capture more of the crowd?

I just wanted to report back that the transfer of the Audio from the Listen to This Erik June 21 Forum show is going well.  Azimuth-adjusted playback is on a NaguchiCR-7A cassette deck. Capture is 24/96. It will be available soon! 

4 hours ago, gbauer1 said:

I just wanted to report back that the transfer of the Audio from the Listen to This Erik June 21 Forum show is going well.  Azimuth-adjusted playback is on a NaguchiCR-7A cassette deck. Capture is 24/96. It will be available soon! 

Awesome!! Can't wait to hear it. 

I have been able to listen to a good portion of the new version of the show and it sounds great. Pitch is now being adjusted then it will be remastered and posted. I’m going to try to also post a version without breaks between songs so that it can be listened to as it was on the original tape. 

50 minutes ago, gbauer1 said:

I have been able to listen to a good portion of the new version of the show and it sounds great. Pitch is now being adjusted then it will be remastered and posted. I’m going to try to also post a version without breaks between songs so that it can be listened to as it was on the original tape. 

Outstanding. Thank you do much not only for taping and sharing , but going through the effort to have it transferred carefully and shared again!! 😀

Archived