Rolling Stone Up For Sale and Any Bidders?

SuperDave

This is certainly interesting and being better as posted on the official Led Zeppelin site considering the flack (I'm being mild) this so called mag or rag has put to Zeppelin over the years with  horrible and unsupported reviews of their albums especially during their tenure!  Not sure how to say this better.  Although, various writers did try to correct the poor reviews they received earlier by those who had no conception what so ever what good music was or is and Led Zeppelin always exemplified that to such a high level than almost all artists.  Only The Beatles are up there IMHO!

Anyway, this crap rag is up for sale and anyone with the dough here can buy it as we would welcome it and give Zeppelin a much positive attitude in this rag with a hard core Led Zeppelin fan who is now hence it's owner and publisher and how can you beat that?  We can only dream about this!

So will Mike Taibbi be out of a job with his anti-Trump pieces each day.  Don't want to go political but it's the same thing each day with him and Steven Colbert.  Lot of wrong with the political situation, but tired of the bashing from both sides and all I will say!

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/rolling-stone-magazine-for-sale/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=newsletter_4572276

So do we have any bids?  Strider and Steve I expect you to be the first bidders?

This may be interesting!

Off to watch the eps of Twin Peaks I have missed!                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

They had a problem with Zeppelin, because they didn't accept their approach from the start. They wanted The Beatles and Dylan type of approach, with that kind of musical backing. And they were hung up on Zeppelin's heavy side, not even wanting to notice they had dynamics and mellow songs and even songs with no drums and their lyrics could be very good, if you accepted their approach. I mean, what else could the lyrics of Kashmir be about? They fit very well! It was weird from the Rolling stone. It was proven latter that music couldn't get much heavier and it was one of the last great musical revolutions, because of new instruments, electronics and amplifiers. Rolling stone were behaving like you would say to Mozart he is not allowed to use a new version of the violin.

19 hours ago, SuperDave said:

So do we have any bids?  Strider and Steve I expect you to be the first bidders??                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

Haven't bought an issue since they used their front cover to showcase the Boston Marathon bomber as if he were a rock star. If I were to buy the whole company it would be only to liquidate all of its assets to ensure it goes out of business forever.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Haven't bought an issue since they used their front cover to showcase the Boston Marathon bomber as if he were a rock star. If I were to buy the whole company it would be only to liquidate all of its assets to ensure it goes out of business forever.

That's good thinking!  I thought that was disgraceful in the way they portrayed the younger of the Boston Bombers like he was some sort of sex symbol.  Probably, the worst taste a publication can partake in and no surprise with RS!

On 9/19/2017 at 8:13 PM, Strider said:

It's not even suitable as toilet paper. Totally worthless rag. Burn the whole place down.

I do look at them for bits of music news and movie reviews from Peter Travers and have enjoyed their recaps of "Twin Peaks" recently.  Other than that, fuck them and just bottom ocean dwellers on their best days!

17 hours ago, SuperDave said:

I do look at them for bits of music news and movie reviews from Peter Travers and have enjoyed their recaps of "Twin Peaks" recently.  Other than that, fuck them and just bottom ocean dwellers on their best days!

Peter Travers is a quote-whore. You should try reading Joe Morgenstern of the Wall St. Journal and Ann Hornaday from the Washington Post. Don't worry if you don't get those newspapers in your area, their reviews are archived on the Rotten Tomatoes website.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Peter Travers is a quote-whore. You should try reading Joe Morgenstern of the Wall St. Journal and Ann Hornaday from the Washington Post. Don't worry if you don't get those newspapers in your area, their reviews are archived on the Rotten Tomatoes website.

Thanks Strider.

3 hours ago, Strider said:

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:25 PM, SteveAJones said:

I didn't get the impression that Rolling Stone was trying to glorify Dzhokar Tsarnaev in that issue.  I thought the point they were trying to make is that terrorists don't always look like Osama bin Laden.  They don't always look scary or 'foreign'.  They could even look like that cute, curly-haired dude in your Freshman English class.  That's why Rolling Stone used that particular photo of Tsarnaev, in my opinion anyway.

I still get Rolling Stone given to me by a friend.  He gives me R.S. and I give him Smithsonian and Nat'l Geographic....not a fair trade, but they're the only magazines I subscribe to.  In general, Rolling Stone was rock a magazine that catered to an era....that era is now gone.  Boy Howdy !!  Creem was the best, and remember they're gone too.  R.S.  celebrated their 50th anniversary this year, and the corresponding articles about the early days not only reflect how relevant they once were, but also pointed out  how irrelevant they have become.  Did enjoy the recent articles on Scott Pruitt, the head of the EPA, and the article in tribute to Gregg Allman was also pretty decent.  More than half the articles about particular artists I usually skip, because I just don't know or care who they are.  Never held their view on Zep against them....they were just one of many who didn't understand the moment and dissed the band.          

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I still get Rolling Stone given to me by a friend.  He gives me R.S. and I give him Smithsonian and Nat'l Geographic....not a fair trade, but they're the only magazines I subscribe to.  In general, Rolling Stone was rock a magazine that catered to an era....that era is now gone.  Boy Howdy !!  Creem was the best, and remember they're gone too.  R.S.  celebrated their 50th anniversary this year, and the corresponding articles about the early days not only reflect how relevant they once were, but also pointed out  how irrelevant they have become.  Did enjoy the recent articles on Scott Pruitt, the head of the EPA, and the article in tribute to Gregg Allman was also pretty decent.  More than half the articles about particular artists I usually skip, because I just don't know or care who they are.  Never held their view on Zep against them....they were just one of many who didn't understand the moment and dissed the band.          

I am glad you mentioned Smithsonian. I have to renew mine.  Great stuff and great channel also.  I never saw Rolling Stone bash Led Zeppelin, so this is news to me. I do not see how in hell anyone could, even those country music fans that I have talked to and stars in many types of music pay homage to Zeppelin as one of the all time greats.  To many of us there is no band that will ever touch them.  For me number two is like a tie between the Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who and the Eagles.  

14 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I am glad you mentioned Smithsonian. I have to renew mine.  Great stuff and great channel also.  I never saw Rolling Stone bash Led Zeppelin, so this is news to me. I do not see how in hell anyone could, even those country music fans that I have talked to and stars in many types of music pay homage to Zeppelin as one of the all time greats.  To many of us there is no band that will ever touch them.  For me number two is like a tie between the Beatles, Stones, Pink Floyd, The Who and the Eagles.  

I believe they called Zep's music 'cock rock.'

On 9/26/2017 at 9:06 PM, Disco Duck said:

I didn't get the impression that Rolling Stone was trying to glorify Dzhokar Tsarnaev in that issue.  I thought the point they were trying to make is that terrorists don't always look like Osama bin Laden.  They don't always look scary or 'foreign'.  They could even look like that cute, curly-haired dude in your Freshman English class.  That's why Rolling Stone used that particular photo of Tsarnaev, in my opinion anyway.

That's spot on correct, DD. 

On 9/19/2017 at 0:17 AM, SamoKodela said:

They had a problem with Zeppelin, because they didn't accept their approach from the start. They wanted The Beatles and Dylan type of approach, with that kind of musical backing. And they were hung up on Zeppelin's heavy side, not even wanting to notice they had dynamics and mellow songs and even songs with no drums and their lyrics could be very good, if you accepted their approach. I mean, what else could the lyrics of Kashmir be about? They fit very well! It was weird from the Rolling stone. It was proven latter that music couldn't get much heavier and it was one of the last great musical revolutions, because of new instruments, electronics and amplifiers. Rolling stone were behaving like you would say to Mozart he is not allowed to use a new version of the violin.

I've often thought that Rolling Stone Magazine's bias against Led Zeppelin was due to changing musical tastes among the Baby Boom generation.  The founder, Jann Wenner, was born in 1946, the early years of the baby boom.  He and his cohorts spent their teen years listening to the Beach Boys, Dion and Peter, Paul & Mary.  They were used to melodic songs you can hum or whistle.  It's why they embraced rock groups like The Beatles, the Rolling Stones and the Doors.   You can hum or whistle songs like "Yesterday", "Satisfaction", or "Light My Fire" from beginning to end.   Try doing this with "Whole Lotta Love" or "Kashmir'.  They're too dense.   What was actually innovation and a new direction for rock music must have seemed like tuneless noise to many older Boomers.  That's my theory, anyway.

Well you can always whistle anything, even instrumental parts, it just depends how 'whistlable' it is in a pop melodic sense of the word, so you are right in a way. Older music was also more pop in terms of being less 'wild' and loud and it had a specific approach to lyrics and also virtuosity was getting more and more accepted in the pop rock world, but here it was very extreme in a rather loud way many times and Rolling stone just didn't get it.

19 hours ago, Disco Duck said:

I've often thought that Rolling Stone Magazine's bias against Led Zeppelin was due to changing musical tastes among the Baby Boom generation.  The founder, Jann Wenner, was born in 1946, the early years of the baby boom.  He and his cohorts spent their teen years listening to the Beach Boys, Dion and Peter, Paul & Mary.  They were used to melodic songs you can hum or whistle.  It's why they embraced rock groups like The Beatles, the Rolling Stones and the Doors.   You can hum or whistle songs like "Yesterday", "Satisfaction", or "Light My Fire" from beginning to end.   Try doing this with "Whole Lotta Love" or "Kashmir'.  They're too dense.   What was actually innovation and a new direction for rock music must have seemed like tuneless noise to many older Boomers.  That's my theory, anyway.

I'm a boomer and I couldn't get enough of 'Led Zeppelin II.'

Archived