9/28/71 sound board ??

porgie66

Undoubtedly there will be more. I'd wager at least one, maybe two or three reels of 1/4" tape. Why? because they had a Revox reel-to-reel patched to the mixing desk during a lot of the 1971 shows. And recording only one track makes little sense. 

Does Empress Valley have acces to the complete SB recording?  that remains the billion dollar question. In the recent past they announced their treasures with big fanfare months earlier. Now the Seattle buzz is stil hot, I think the next lucrative period would be X-mas or NewYear. Time will tell if it will be the elusive Long Beach 75 SB next, or  Blueberry Hill  part VII...or 928. I wouldn't count on a low cost first edition. They have to squeeze most out of it during the premiere. Eelgrass will take care of a cheaper alternative after a few weeks...

6 minutes ago, duckman said:

Undoubtedly there will be more. I'd wager at least one, maybe two or three reels of 1/4" tape. Why? because they had a Revox reel-to-reel patched to the mixing desk during a lot of the 1971 shows. And recording only one track makes little sense. 

Does Empress Valley have acces to the complete SB recording?  that remains the billion dollar question. In the recent past they announced their treasures with big fanfare months earlier. Now the Seattle buzz is stil hot, I think the next lucrative period would be X-mas or NewYear. Time will tell if it will be the elusive Long Beach 75 SB next, or  Blueberry Hill  part VII...or 928. I wouldn't count on a low cost first edition. They have to squeeze most out of it during the premiere. Eelgrass will take care of a cheaper alternative after a few weeks...

If it's going to be another 75 show first, I'd be ecstatic with the 2nd night in Long Beach. 

1 hour ago, LedElvis75 said:

If it's going to be another 75 show first, I'd be ecstatic with the 2nd night in Long Beach. 

So no word yet. If they do have the full 928 board then they may wait until 2018 as a 50th anniversary type thing. Now that would be something to look forward to for 50th Zep bday, a board tape from 71!! I don't care much if it's going to be another 75 board. It feels like they're saturating the bootleg scene with 75 shows , so if there are truly board tapes in their possession from other years, please ....a little contrast and variety! 

1 minute ago, porgie66 said:

Frankly, I will not bite if it's another 75 board. But if it's another year, then I will.  If they do have the full 928 board then they may wait until 2018 as a 50th anniversary type thing. Now that would be something to look forward to for 50th Zep bday, a board tape from 71!! It feels like they're saturating the bootleg scene with 1975 shows , so if there are truly board tapes in their possession from other years, please ....a little contrast! 

3/12 and then one of the January shows with Levee or Wanton is what I want. 

What would truly be EPIC is the Japan multi's being released by Page.  That would be one for the ages.  How The East Was Won....

Just now, LedElvis75 said:

What would truly be EPIC is the Japan multi's being released by Page.  That would be one for the ages.  How The East Was Won....

Yes, exactly. HTEWW!!  An early 75 show would be a treat, but after being teased with that Black Dog...come on for chrissakes! Let's have it! 

19 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

I wonder if this'll ever get truly resolved. Plant says they've been wiped, whilst others think Jimmy does indeed have the Japan '71 tapes still. I'm pessimistic they exist tbh.

Just now, johnlennon696 said:

I wonder if this'll ever get truly resolved. Plant says they've been wiped, whilst others think Jimmy does indeed have the Japan '71 tapes still. I'm pessimistic they exist tbh.

Yep.  Have heard that.  What a damn shame that'd be.

I'll settle for SBD's in similar quality to the BD sample, tho!!

9 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

Yep.  Have heard that.  What a damn shame that'd be.

I'll settle for SBD's in similar quality to the BD sample, tho!!

Definitely. Anything pre '75 would be a Godsend.

Although even if it's another '75 board, I'm not complaining. It's just great to have anything from zep in better quality tbh.

18 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Yes, exactly. HTEWW!!  An early 75 show would be a treat, but after being teased with that Black Dog...come on for chrissakes! Let's have it! 

Dave Lewis asked Jimmy this when he interviewed him in 2014. I've posted this before, but providing sources is always good, so, from TBL issue 38, page 19:

DL: So you could put out something like Japan 1971?

JP: I could, but I've been doing so much Led Zeppelin work... and it's not just compiling it, but it's promoting it. That all takes time. (goes on to ramble about how he's not as young as he used to be)

What you make of that depends on how much you think Jimmy was really engaging with the question. That's hard to know. But on the face of it, it's decent evidence that an official Japan 71 is in theory possible. Of course it's also evidence that Jimmy isn't interested in new live releases. We all live in hope, but I think we'd have seen it by now, frankly, if a decent recording was there to be released and there was any appetite to do so.

As for 09.28.71, it's a mystery. Nobody actually in the know is going to spill the beans on here about it. Maybe it got swamped by all the buzz around 3.21.75 and that's why it disappeared from view. Maybe there was an argument about money. Maybe it was yet another semi-official leak and we will see HTEWW in 2018. All plausible from what we know about it. I agree that a good sounding board of that show would be a massive thing to have.

1 hour ago, Crimson Avenger said:

Dave Lewis asked Jimmy this when he interviewed him in 2014. I've posted this before, but providing sources is always good, so, from TBL issue 38, page 19:

DL: So you could put out something like Japan 1971?

JP: I could, but I've been doing so much Led Zeppelin work... and it's not just compiling it, but it's promoting it. That all takes time. (goes on to ramble about how he's not as young as he used to be)

What you make of that depends on how much you think Jimmy was really engaging with the question. That's hard to know. But on the face of it, it's decent evidence that an official Japan 71 is in theory possible. Of course it's also evidence that Jimmy isn't interested in new live releases. We all live in hope, but I think we'd have seen it by now, frankly, if a decent recording was there to be released and there was any appetite to do so.

As for 09.28.71, it's a mystery. Nobody actually in the know is going to spill the beans on here about it. Maybe it got swamped by all the buzz around 3.21.75 and that's why it disappeared from view. Maybe there was an argument about money. Maybe it was yet another semi-official leak and we will see HTEWW in 2018. All plausible from what we know about it. I agree that a good sounding board of that show would be a massive thing to have.

Never read that before. Thanks.

19 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

Never read that before. Thanks.

I'd recommend subscribing, it's a good read (no I'm not Dave Lewis, lol). He does three issues a year, but I think it's print only.

In that interview Jimmy also revealed that he had talked with Ahmet Ertegun about releasing 'official' bootlegs, but nothing ever came of the idea. That conversation must have been over a decade ago, so it's fair to say it's not been a priority for Jimmy.

My heart tells me we're going to have to wait a long time for this one. I honestly think EVSD released the snippet of Black Dog just to let people know that they have other stuff besides another middle of the road 1975 show. Of course, then they went ahead with 3/21/75 and the hype for that one was so strong that it could conceivably have pushed it further back than they thought. But I honestly think they're gonna sit on this one for years. A great 75 show is one thing, a great show from 1971, let alone from the Japan run, is something else entirely. It would truly be a godsend to have this entire show in soundboard, since the main source we have for it is just okay at best. All I can say is: don't hold your breath!

1 hour ago, ZepHead315 said:

My heart tells me we're going to have to wait a long time for this one. I honestly think EVSD released the snippet of Black Dog just to let people know that they have other stuff besides another middle of the road 1975 show. Of course, then they went ahead with 3/21/75 and the hype for that one was so strong that it could conceivably have pushed it further back than they thought. But I honestly think they're gonna sit on this one for years. A great 75 show is one thing, a great show from 1971, let alone from the Japan run, is something else entirely. It would truly be a godsend to have this entire show in soundboard, since the main source we have for it is just okay at best. All I can say is: don't hold your breath!

I like this post. But I hope you're just a little wrong and that they (EVSD) unveil some real treats for the 50th year. 🙁 As much as I love those 75 board tapes, I have heard enough for a while from that tour, especially after the outstanding 3/21 show release. I find I'm often listening anxiously to SBDs from '75, hoping Plant and Page won't make too many mistakes. Japan '71 would indeed be something else entirely. 

8 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

I like this post. But I hope you're just a little wrong and that they (EVSD) unveil some real treats for the 50th year. 🙁

Oh I hope I'm wrong too, but this is EVSD we're talking about. They haven't exactly shown themselves to be very charitable with fans.

Just read an interview with Clive Coulson.  This is a quote in which he describes singing on an encore with the band in Osaka on 9/28/71.  Seems like more proof the whole board tape exists. 

In Japan in September 1971 Coulson was taken by surprise when Jimmy Page dragged him on stage. “I thought there was something wrong with the microphone when he handed it to me but then he said sing.”

This happened in ‘C'mon Everybody’, which was part of an encore. “When I heard it back it was awful and I realised my singing career was over.”

If multitracks exist of these shows from 71 that would be so cool.  If Page is considering putting these out for the 50th, then most likely there will be some leaks several months prior to this as always seems to be the case with these releases.  You can go back to the first box set for evidence of these!

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

If multitracks exist of these shows from 71 that would be so cool.  If Page is considering putting these out for the 50th, then most likely there will be some leaks several months prior to this as always seems to be the case with these releases.  You can go back to the first box set for evidence of these!

They DO exist, no question about that. Warner Pioneer Japan hired a six (???) track transistorized mobile recording unit to capture the Zeppelin shows. At the time Page and Plant vetoed a 'Live in Japan' release 'because the balance was just as bad as bootleg'. And contrary to all assumptions, the multi's were not erased soon after the band returned to England. 

In fact Jimmy did review the tapes back in 2003 and ultimately decided not to release  a 'How the East was Won' companion release to HTWWW.

New technology could help him fix some of the technical issues (just like Townshend did with  'Live at Hull') at the dawn f the 21h century  , but IMHO Jimmy was not so keen to pay royalties for all those Beatles covers in the WLL medley. 

12 hours ago, duckman said:

They DO exist, no question about that. Warner Pioneer Japan hired a six (???) track transistorized mobile recording unit to capture the Zeppelin shows. At the time Page and Plant vetoed a 'Live in Japan' release 'because the balance was just as bad as bootleg'. And contrary to all assumptions, the multi's were not erased soon after the band returned to England. 

In fact Jimmy did review the tapes back in 2003 and ultimately decided not to release  a 'How the East was Won' companion release to HTWWW.

New technology could help him fix some of the technical issues (just like Townshend did with  'Live at Hull') at the dawn f the 21h century  , but IMHO Jimmy was not so keen to pay royalties for all those Beatles covers in the WLL medley. 

Those weren't even part of the WLL medley, just some brief teasers between songs.

Not like he couldn't just cut them out anyways. Look at all the stuff he removed from HTWWW (Everybody Needs Somebody, Heartbreak Hotel, Slow Down, Louie Louie) and DVD. (That's Alright Mama, Long Tall Sally, Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On)

• 5 months later...

In 2016 page said in an interview that he didn't think japan was worth releasing because of all the royalties they would have to pay . I hope he changes his mind. Even though we would all prefer unedited shows . He could edit some stuff out . I would rather have it edited then not have it at all.

Archived