The Song Remains the Same - Theater Marquee photos

sam_webmaster

• Administrators
1 hour ago, anniemouse said:

Did the movie do well box office wise.

It did well. Here's stats for the 1st week box office results in North America and UK - November 1976. It would run continuously in many cities across North America in weekly midnight screenings, well into the late 1980s.

1976-11-tsrts-us-box-office-1st-week.jpg

1976-11-tsrts-uk-box-office-1st-week.jpg

8 hours ago, anniemouse said:

Did the movie do well box office wise.

Not where I saw it (The Futurist Liverpool)  at the first showing on the opening day Nov 10th 76 give or take a day. There must have been no more than twenty people in attendance. I spent almost the whole showing moving from seat to seat trying to find the sweet spot for the Quad surround sound..

Liverpool.jpg

Edited by JTM

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2017 at 6:51 AM, sam_webmaster said:

It did well. Here's stats for the 1st week box office results in North America and UK - November 1976. It would run continuously in many cities across North America in weekly midnight screenings, well into the late 1980s.

1976-11-tsrts-us-box-office-1st-week.jpg

1976-11-tsrts-uk-box-office-1st-week.jpg

This poster is awesome! Loved the photos of the theater marquees also. I (barely) remember when going to the movies was an event! 

• 4 weeks later...

I was in 7th grade in 1980 and I remember shortly after Bonzo passed TSRTS being shown at my local theater at midnight. It was my first midnight show and remember the theater being completely packed. Some dude set off a bottle rocket in the theater, people had brought booze, and they were smoking weed. I also remember the cops had pulled a car over in the parking lot - and distinctly remember watching the cop reach into the car and pull out a bong and putting it on the roof of the car as we pulled into park. My dad must have been thinking - what the hell is this all about! Kudos to dad, cause we continued into to the theater & watched the show. 

This was in Schaumburg, Illinois and at the theater near woodfield shopping mall.

I attended the Dallas Premiere of TSRTS at the prestiegious Northpark theater. It was a charity showing, with the proceeds going to UNICEF. If Jimmy or any other band members were there, I did not see them.

The Dallas premiere was the same day that the album was released, October 22, 1976.

• 3 years later...

I was 13 and going to Larwin Square Theatre in Simi Valley, Ca.in 1976 to see Led Zeppelin. I had a ticket that looked like a concert ticket. I waited in a line where people were smoking weed, waiting to get in. At that point I was sure that Led Zeppelin was going to perform live in Simi Valley in the same theatre I grew up watching Disney movies in. Once we got in and seated I realized it was “just” a movie. The people next to us passed the weed which we happily took(pretty sure I had just recently started smoking it). Once the movie started my disappointment for it not being a live show didn’t last long. That night I was mesmerized by Jimmy Page mostly and solidified my lifelong fandom with Zepoelin. I have since watched the movie hundreds of times at many midnight shows, bought the first vhs release for $99.00, and all the dvd releases. I have even rented it on OnDemand for $3.99 recently and blasted it on my awesome sound system at home! It looks great digitally, I was surprised how good the cheesy effects hold up.

2 hours ago, Redan Randy said:

I was 13 and going to Larwin Square Theatre in Simi Valley, Ca.in 1976 to see Led Zeppelin. I had a ticket that looked like a concert ticket. I waited in a line where people were smoking weed, waiting to get in. At that point I was sure that Led Zeppelin was going to perform live in Simi Valley in the same theatre I grew up watching Disney movies in. Once we got in and seated I realized it was “just” a movie. The people next to us passed the weed which we happily took(pretty sure I had just recently started smoking it). Once the movie started my disappointment for it not being a live show didn’t last long. That night I was mesmerized by Jimmy Page mostly and solidified my lifelong fandom with Zepoelin. I have since watched the movie hundreds of times at many midnight shows, bought the first vhs release for $99.00, and all the dvd releases. I have even rented it on OnDemand for $3.99 recently and blasted it on my awesome sound system at home! It looks great digitally, I was surprised how good the cheesy effects hold up.

Larwin Theatre in Simi Valley, CA - Cinema Treasures

Back in 1982, I went to see a showing of TSRTS at the Salem Tri Cinema In New Hampshire. Small Theater with 3 screens. I got there an hour early because I thought it would be hard to get in. When I got there the parking lot was empty and it looked like it wouldn't be a big crowd. Boy, was I wrong, I was there about a half an hour all by myself when the lot filled up in an instant. I couldn't believe it. The building had a glass foyer with large windows. Within minutes I was pressed right up against the glass with about 300 people screaming to be let in.  The man came to the door to open it and as he did the people about 4 feet away from me went right through the plate glass. Other people started trying to jump over the people who were stuck in the window and the rest were trying to force their way in through the doors. I was really scared that I was going to end up through the glass I was pressed against but as soon as it happened the TRI shut the lights and started telling people the show was off and made everyone go home. Everyone went nuts but within 5 minutes the police came and ended the fiasco.5848bfac1140d.image.jpg 

A couple years later I went again with a friend. The place was packed but not one person was partying, smoking or yelling. My friend and I had a joint with us but no lighter, not even a match and we couldn't find one person who would let us use their lighter. Can you imagine that? at a time when just about everybody smoked cigs not one person had a lighter. but at least I finally got to see the movie.

This theater isn't there anymore, too bad. I saw a lot of movies there.