What's the worst live performance of a song?

gibsonfan159

The go-to example for most people is Achilles Last Stand at Tempe. Not only does the recording suck (it's distant and muffled, and you can even hear "All Right Now" bleed through the tape towards the end), but the performance is horrendous. The intro is actually pretty cool and unique, but then a flashpot blew up in Jimmy's face, and he spends the rest of the song struggling (and failing) to catch up with the others. Plant's voice is shot and he seems confused about whether to follow Jimmy or Jones and Bonham, creating a cacophony of noise. This, imo, is the single worst performance of any song they ever did:

As for The Rain Song, I don't think they ever played it horribly, but there are some versions out there where Robert's voice was pretty rough, or the mellotron got out of tune. Check out Sheffield 73 or Greensboro 75 for examples of Robert's voice at its weakest.

Other than that, quite a few version of Rock and Roll were rather lackluster, due again to Robert's weak voice. There's also Kashmir from Zurich 1980. What a trainwreck. Check out 2:25 for when it really goes awry:

Just a couple of examples. I'm sure others will provide plenty more, mostly from 77 onwards! :D 

15 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

The go-to example for most people is Achilles Last Stand at Tempe. Not only does the recording suck (it's distant and muffled, and you can even hear "All Right Now" bleed through the tape towards the end), but the performance is horrendous. The intro is actually pretty cool and unique, but then a flashpot blew up in Jimmy's face, and he spends the rest of the song struggling (and failing) to catch up with the others. Plant's voice is shot and he seems confused about whether to follow Jimmy or Jones and Bonham, creating a cacophony of noise. This, imo, is the single worst performance of any song they ever did:

As for The Rain Song, I don't think they ever played it horribly, but there are some versions out there where Robert's voice was pretty rough, or the mellotron got out of tune. Check out Sheffield 73 or Greensboro 75 for examples of Robert's voice at its weakest.

Other than that, quite a few version of Rock and Roll were rather lackluster, due again to Robert's weak voice. There's also Kashmir from Zurich 1980. What a trainwreck. Check out 2:25 for when it really goes awry:

Just a couple of examples. I'm sure others will provide plenty more, mostly from 77 onwards! :D 

It's funny, two of their best shows; Zurich and Badgeholders are both plagued by Kashmir botches. Although I don't mind the LA one too much tbh.

3 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

What are some songs they played live that just make you cringe? Is there a bad version of The Rain Song? They played it so well consistently that I don't know if I've heard a bad version.

Exactly two years apart and exactly the same result: Jimmy botches the solo badly in both songs:

• Oakland July 23, 1977 - Ten Years Gone
  • Copenhagen July 23, 1979 - Misty Mountain Hop

And, he makes amends on both songs, the next day at both shows.

8 hours ago, johnlennon696 said:

It's funny, two of their best shows; Zurich and Badgeholders are both plagued by Kashmir botches. Although I don't mind the LA one too much tbh.

Wow!! That's brutal.  Oops, Page and Bonzo fucked that one up, then Plant skips right to the ending verses which really screws things....as opposed to Badegholders , which Jones gaffs in the same spot. 

Edited by porgie66

7 hours ago, And You Know How It Is? said:

Exactly two years apart and exactly the same result: Jimmy botches the solo badly in both songs:

• Oakland July 23, 1977 - Ten Years Gone
  • Copenhagen July 23, 1979 - Misty Mountain Hop

And, he makes amends on both songs, the next day at both shows.

Exactly the first two songs that came to my mind.

Other trainwrecks...

Over the Hills and Far Away 8.11.79 Knebworth

In My Time of Dying 5.26.77 Landover

Moby Dick 5.26.77 Landover

Song Remains the Same 4.27.77 Cleveland

Achilles Last Stand   7/20/77. .

This is the mother of all disasters. . Im perplexed by this recording and always have been. . For one it's in my backyard at ASU (which coincidently I saw Percy 11 years later Now And Zen tour). . Two, imagining being on stage when the BAND explodes. . looking at each other in that "what the fuck is going on up here"!. . This song is a technical bitch and with how fragile they could be on any given night in '77 Im surprised this didnt happen more often. .Third, Jimmy almost getting killed during all of this. .

The crazy way , of all times and recordings, to have some ghost recording of All Right Now come in and THAT be the only recording of what could be considered the worst live moment in the history of the greatest band ever. . the moment it comes in always gets me. .   

The ending, the beginning, the middle. .When Percy says. . "That was ALS". . uhh no it wasn't. .

PS When did the pyro go off and almost get Jimmy??

PPS THX Zephead315 for posting it. .I had to listen to it 3 times. . :)

Edited by Bozoso73

1 hour ago, Strider said:

The pyro always went off after Jimmy's arpeggio intro and Bonzo and Jones crashed in as Jimmy hit the wah wah chords.

Ahh yes but in this instance, the one that Robert is talking castration, the flash pots. . do they go off early? When and where. . cant make out anything like that happening in the audio. .When I think of flash pots, I think of James Hetfield and wonder if that kind of thing almost happened in Tempe. . 

11 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I did a quick remaster on the Tempe Achilles and brightened it up. If you don't listen closely it doesn't seem different, but if you do pay attention, holy crap. They're all playing/singing different parts of the song out of sync. It's almost comical.

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Tempe "Achilles" is the blue ribbon winner for Zeppelin's single worst live performance (the rest of the gig- at least based on the incomplete audience tape we have- isn't that bad) That flash pot going off near Jimmy must have been one helluva bang. It sounds like the entire band was thrown off kilter by it, not just Page. They do bounce back nicely for a good long version of "Stairway" right after though.

I think they may have blown their wad during the stellar 6 night run at the L.A. Forum. After that, they took 3 weeks off and when they resumed the 3rd leg of the tour they played at Seattle n Arizona, possibly their two worst back to back shows ever. Oakland was better, but definitely lacked the fire and momentum the band had built up and prominently displayed 6 nights in a row at The Forum. Then, off for another extended break before the planned final leg of tour, which of course never happened. I think the mayhem and indulgence of Zep in '77 caught up to them and basically, they ran out of gas. They were not the same band after the L.A. run....ever again.

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:40 AM, Strider said:

Exactly the first two songs that came to my mind.

Other trainwrecks...

Over the Hills and Far Away 8.11.79 Knebworth

In My Time of Dying 5.26.77 Landover

Moby Dick 5.26.77 Landover

Song Remains the Same 4.27.77 Cleveland

huh???

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:44 AM, Nutrocker said:

Yeah, I think it's pretty safe to say that the Tempe "Achilles" is the blue ribbon winner for Zeppelin's single worst live performance (the rest of the gig- at least based on the incomplete audience tape we have- isn't that bad) That flash pot going off near Jimmy must have been one helluva bang. It sounds like the entire band was thrown off kilter by it, not just Page. They do bounce back nicely for a good long version of "Stairway" right after though.

I've always stayed away from this one.  This and Greensboro 75.  Too much of a diehard fanboy to listen to arguably their two worst shows. Will. Not. Do. It!!!!

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Maybe I'm mistaken on the date, but I always thought Jimmy scrapes up the solos on this one.

Yeah-a little bit.

Went and listened to it again and Jimmy is a little weak.  Bonzo is magnificent (as usual in 77) which hides a lot of Jimmy's sloppiness.

4 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

Yeah-a little bit.

Went and listened to it again and Jimmy is a little weak.  Bonzo is magnificent (as usual in 77) which hides a lot of Jimmy's sloppiness.

It's certainly a matter of opinion, but I've always thought Page was below average on Destroyer. That TSRTS sounds like his fingers are taped together.

16 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

I've always stayed away from this one.  This and Greensboro 75.  Too much of a diehard fanboy to listen to arguably their two worst shows. Will. Not. Do. It!!!!

Give 'em a listen. Like i said, other than "Achilles" Tempe isn't that bad of a performance (Plant's voice is the real wink link on the night), Greensboro is half decent as well. Let's put it this way: there are worse performances on the 1980 tour IMO than Tempe or Greensboro.

• 5 months later...

I don't get the Greensboro '75 mentions on this thread. There is nothing there like the flubbed BD solo on 2-28-75 (later during the same tour, when Jimmy was in peak shape), or the disaster of Tempe ALS. It's actually pretty good, given that one of the guys plays with a hurt finger and another is still getting over a massive flu.

Edit: played some of it on the way to work this morning, and found two minor mistakes - in IMTOD and Kashmir. The songs don't go off the rails completely but somebody briefly messes up, I think JPJ and Bonzo miss the start of Jimmy's second solo in IMTOD and I'm not sure what happens in Kashmir but it doesn't sound right at about 4.30 or so. So in addition to Jimmy's finger and Robert's flu they're having some trouble with the new songs. NQ smokes though.

Edited by Boogie Chillen 82