Pic taken from behind Bonzo: Question regarding the positioning of his Speed King...

LedElvis75

8 minutes ago, LedElvis75 said:

59cb9b35eec4a_BonzosSpeedKing.thumb.PNG.a737439783a5129c8e70f06879568cec.PNG

Saw this on Twitter last night and something immediately jumped out at me... The positioning of Bonzo's Speed King Bass Drum pedal.  Look at how cocked it is and check out the angle of Bonzo's foot.  Am I seeing that correctly?

Ha, I think he's just tilted his foot a bit but the pedal is flush mounted. His heel is swung a little to the left. You can see the footplate is perpendicular to the hoop.  It's a bit of an  optical illusion. 

7 minutes ago, porgie66 said:

Ha, I think he's just tilted his foot a bit but the pedal is flush mounted. His heel is swung a little to the left. You can see the footplate is perpendicular to the hoop.  It's a bit of an  optical illusion. 

Thanks George.  That's what I was thinking. 

Just now, LedElvis75 said:

Thanks George.  That's what I was thinking. 

Nice shot, hadn't seen it before. I would love a book of just photos like this, from behind his kit. There is another thread here with some photos behind his kit, have you seen it? It's always fun to see little things differently, like how he used clear heads occasionally. ( I'm convinced a snare head and maybe a tom at some point were clear ) 

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Nice shot, hadn't seen it before. I would love a book of just photos like this, from behind his kit. There is another thread here with some photos behind his kit, have you seen it? It's always fun to see little things differently, like how he used clear heads occasionally. ( I'm convinced a snare head and maybe a tom at some point were clear ) 

I don't think I've seen it.  Direct me to it when you get a chance, if you don't mind.

I'm still looking at that pic above and saying to myself, "Something just aint right about it."  The arms of the pedal look to be at a 45 to the bass drum head.  Just odd all the way around...

I'm struggling with that picture as well, looks a bit like it's been doctored.

Am I correct in thinking the beater is resting on the bass drum head, or is that a bit of tape or something?

Here's the link to the other thread anyway...

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I'm struggling with that picture as well, looks a bit like it's been doctored.

Am I correct in thinking the beater is resting on the bass drum head, or is that a bit of tape or something?

Here's the link to the other thread anyway...

The bearer may be at the head, also he used a moleskin patch often , from what I've read so that would appear to be what is visible there. The pedal looks fine to me, but I can see why you'd see it another way. His heel is just off to the left, probably swinging his foot while in between strokes. 

Archived