ACHILLES LAST STAND COMPILATION

Remi

ALS is one of my favorite song in live, i have decided to make a new concept, a "All-in-one"

I think that this kind of videos is as useful as the concerts, it can make it easier to find the best version.

Thanks, it's quite interesting because it was a time, when creativity and originality was much more important than it is now unfortunately and it is interesting to hear all those details that are different and a more or less active Bonham, but quite a few times the sound is not that good and Jimmy's playing is quite chaotic, Tempe being the version where this is most evident and Plant struggles to decide whether to follow Jimmy or the drums and the studio arrangement.

I think even with little details it was not that much of an improvisational song and I think the studio version is still the best with some of the best Bonham ever and all the layers and a greatly constructed solo and I think even Jimmy is perhaps admitting this as he enhanced the ascending riff on the official DVD with additional layers.

It's still a very important song to bring the live energy in and while it was recorded live for the album, it wasn't with all the layers as they were added latter, so a great version is still very important to hear, as the response to various details is more direct.

If you feel like it, I would be very grateful if your next projects would be Over the hills, Black dog, Sick again, Since I've been loving you and only then No quarter, Dazed and Confused and Moby Dick. Stairway would also be interesting for different keyboards and a lots of new solo sections.

While I must admit I didn't yet listen to all of Achilles, I would certainly very quickly find time for the first few I listed, as listening to the evolution of those songs in a continuous way would absolutely thrill me, although the first three had lots of elements in the solos from the beginning, so pretty soon I would find the time for the long ones although I would need a whole day, but even Moby dick would be especially thrilling the first few tours and of course Whole lotta love medley.

Thanks, really great idea, I just don't think Achilles is the best choice to start with!

I don't want to make any more posts and I think you know very well which other ones are the best for it, although all that were played regulary for atleast two tours are good for it, but if they were dropped early in Zep history or did not have improvisational nature, they are not the best for it, depends on why you are doing it.

But the best are White summer(even with the technical decline and some of the sections dropped, they are interesting melodic variations and improvisations), Communication breakdown(not many new solo sections and a vocal change, but it would still be interesting), What is and what should never be(new little sections and different vocal approach) Thank you(new keyboards and developing solo and vocal complimenting guitar), Heartbreaker(developing a cappella guitar solo, the solo with drums having new section similar to end of The Ocean), Bring it on home, Immigrant song(solo evolution), Celebration day(end bas groove and solo development, new vocal melodies) Bron yr aur stomp, Rock and roll(new guitar sound, solo beginning and sometimes declining/different vocals).

The short ones with developing solos are especially good for less hard core fans and certain vocal melodic improvisations in some can also add to interest.

On 01/10/2017 at 9:23 PM, luvlz2 said:

Nice!

Thanks luvlz! :)

14 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

If you feel like it, I would be very grateful if your next projects would be Over the hills, Black dog, Sick again, Since I've been loving you and only then No quarter, Dazed and Confused and Moby Dick. Stairway would also be interesting for different keyboards and a lots of new solo sections.

Thanks, really great idea, I just don't think Achilles is the best choice to start with!

Thanks for your messages Samo :) I have not choose the next song because i need to check a lot of things (how many times they played it, duration..) for the moment its just a new concept who need to be improved. But yeah why not "over the hills and far away"  its a good idea,   And problems of copyrights with YT... thats why i don't think to upload stairway to heaven in first.  :(

I know this is really gonna freak some out but I would love to see this done with In the Evening. The video would be much, much shorter and it would be interesting to hear if Jimmy or JPJ improvised much on this song.

My favorite version is Copenhagen July 24th, 1979 FWIW.

On 02/10/2017 at 11:27 AM, SamoKodela said:

These song was played a lot with a long duration,  maybe i can separate them by tour/era, exemple since i've been loving you for the year 1975

i say that because i have try to upload over the hills and far away (116songs in one video for 12 hours 30 minutes :D ) youtube deleted my video because  And for Stairway To Heaven it's risked because everytime i uploaded it,  copyrights ..

Stay tuned for the next compilation, i post it in a few minutes :)

Archived