Jimmy Page will speak at the Oxford Union - 23 October at 8pm

zeplz71

The Oxford Union’s term card for Michaelmas 2017

Rockstar Jimmy Page will top the bill of speakers at the Oxford Union this term

Jimmy Page, Tom Daley and Amanda Holden are among the speakers of an Oxford Union Michaelmas term card which features a host of heads of states, sportspeople and celebrities.

Today, Cherwell is exclusively releasing in full the details of the Union’s speaker events for the upcoming term. It follows a release of debates speakers – including Sir Vince Cable and Ken Livingstone – published earlier this week.

Perhaps the most significant announcement will be the Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page who will speak on Monday 23 October at 8pm. It will be the first time the rock star has appeared at the famous debating society.

Formula One world champion Nico Rosberg and 30-time Tour de France stage winner Mark Cavendish will join fashion designer Marc Jacobs and Trump’s former director of communications Anthony Scaramucci in the list of confirmed speakers.

Sir Ian McKellen, Emeli Sandé and Liv Tyler were confirmed as speakers earlier this week.

Actor Toby Jones, rock band Foals and McFly drummer Harry Judd are also set to speak at the debating society.

Other highlights include:

Five-time Olympic gold medalist Sir Ben Ainslie
    American economist Jeffrey Sachs
    Comedian and Have I Got News For You panelist Paul Merton
    Philosopher Sir Roger Scruton
    ITV journalist Robert Peston

Attendance to events is members-only, but students can attend events for free during the Union’s open period which runs up to 19 October.

3rd Week:
Alex Pettyfer, actor and model, Monday 23 October, 5pm
Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin guitarist, Monday 24 October, 8pm
President Heinz Fischer, former Austrian state president, Thursday 26 October, 1pm
Cath Kidston, fashion designer and entrepreneur, Thursday 26 October, 5pm
Michael Mansfield and Yvette Greenway, barrister and activist, Thursday 26 October, 8pm

http://cherwell.org/2017/10/01/in-full-the-oxford-unions-term-card-for-michaelmas-2017/

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Thread title says October 23, but the post says October 24.

8 hours ago, Cookie0024 said:

Post says both October 23 and October 24. I spoke to Oxford Union and they said it will be finalised and listed on their website tomorrow. 

Since it says Monday October 23 in the article as well, and the 23rd is a Monday, I think the 24 was just a typo. Otherwise it would have said Tuesday October 24, not Monday.

So simply speaking, or debating ?? much more interesting if debating, but being that times are set, unclear. It would be

great if the other luminaries start to debate why Jimmy has abandoned his musical career. Maybe the confusion with

the 23rd or 24th is intentional if Jimmy feels he is not "match-fit" to speak. Imagine if Hendrix had lived, quit his musical

career a bit prematurely and did poetry readings by other poets. Oh the horror !!?!$@;!!

2 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

So simply speaking, or debating ?? much more interesting if debating, but being that times are set, unclear. It would be

great if the other luminaries start to debate why Jimmy has abandoned his musical career. Maybe the confusion with

the 23rd or 24th is intentional if Jimmy feels he is not "match-fit" to speak. Imagine if Hendrix had lived, quit his musical

career a bit prematurely and did poetry readings by other poets. Oh the horror !!?!$@;!!

No chance it will be a debate.

Knowing Jimmy, it will either be a written speech—from which he will not deviate—or at the most some questions that have been heavily pre-vetted by his PR team (Ross Halfin).

It's clear Jimbo just wants to be feted now as the Godfather of Rock, rather than a musician still putting out music and taking chances.

Which is all good, if he hadn't said he was going to get back out there about 5,000 times when he was promoting the remasters, and for several years before that.

3 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

It's an on stage-interview with someone from Oxford Union, not a debate.

Your theory about the confusion with dates sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

It should be a debate between Jimmy and Robbie Williams considering their feud regarding Robbie trying to disrupt their neighborhood by remodeling / shaking foundation of his house. 

R😎

1 hour ago, reids said:

It should be a debate between Jimmy and Robbie Williams considering their feud regarding Robbie trying to disrupt their neighborhood by remodeling / shaking foundation of his house. 

R😎

I'd join the Union for that.

I hope Jimmy realises British students are cheeky sods and some of the questions might be along the lines of drugs / why don't you play live anymore. It won't be Brad Tolinski's softballs. Unless the questions are being vetted beforehand?

9 minutes ago, nemophilist said:

Very interesting, I hope a video of this finds its way to youtube.

It looks like they film and upload most (if not all) of their talks and post them to YouTube several weeks after they happen.

It's not really a promotional tool, but more of a life/retrospective thing. You can see some previous examples on the Oxford Union's YouTube channel amongst the debate footage: https://www.youtube.com/user/OxfordUnion/videos

http://www.oxford-union.org/node/1568

Jimmy Page

• Event Start: 23rd October 2017, 8:00pm
Page.jpg?itok=-1BODMIc

Founder & Guitarist of Led Zeppelin

The mastermind behind one of the most celebrated bands in the world, British guitarist, song-writer and music producer Jimmy Page has had a revolutionary influence on the international hard rock stage.  A former member of the Yardbirds, Jimmy performed with prominent industry figures in his student years, which shaped the distinct sound of the later Led Zeppelin.  With six albums at number one on the US Billboard album chart, his spot at third in the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time is irrefutable

5 minutes ago, Cookie0024 said:

It looks like they film and upload most (if not all) of their talks and post them to YouTube several weeks after they happen.

It's not really a promotional tool, but more of a life/retrospective thing. You can see some previous examples on the Oxford Union's YouTube channel amongst the debate footage: https://www.youtube.com/user/OxfordUnion/videos

Oh okay that's pretty cool then. Thanks for the info. Definitely looking forward to it. It would be especially cool if he goes a little more in depth on himself and his life than usual if that's the case. Even just fine details about his parents and family, he rarely talks about that. Of course I'd like to know more about the juicy details too , you know about his personal beliefs on certain subjects, politically and spiritually (mainly his interest in the esoteric and occult, how deep that went) but I don't expect it as those are private details and he doesn't owe us anything. But it would just be cool in my opinion.

It would be astronomically cool if Jimmy let his guard down and told surely incredible tales. Forget potential liability, etc.,

there are plenty of non-legal binding insights and adventures at hand. I find some of Jimmy's caution and reserve at many

times to be ridiculous, everyone under the sun knows Jimmy has done and participated in actions and practices few

on earth as a whole have done. Yes, Jimmy is "reserved", but Jimmy also should not say concerning drugs that " I was

focused when I needed to be focused". I totally love Jimmy, but that statement is sheer delusion. Would Jimmy say that

all the tours/albums were simply different, that the Euro 80' tour was just as powerful as 73' ? . Sorry, in too many nterviews (hopefully not this one) Jimmy plays dead, unless the theme is purely musical. Which can be cool, but we all

want to get inside Jimmy, the mystique thing at this stage isn't relevant much anymore.

15 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

http://www.oxford-union.org/node/1568

Jimmy Page

• Event Start: 23rd October 2017, 8:00pm
Page.jpg?itok=-1BODMIc

Founder & Guitarist of Led Zeppelin

The mastermind behind one of the most celebrated bands in the world, British guitarist, song-writer and music producer Jimmy Page has had a revolutionary influence on the international hard rock stage.  A former member of the Yardbirds, Jimmy performed with prominent industry figures in his student years, which shaped the distinct sound of the later Led Zeppelin.  With six albums at number one on the US Billboard album chart, his spot at third in the 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time is irrefutable

I note with interest the write up emphasizes his student years and that he is a former member of The Yardbirds. This would seem to be the central theme for the discussion. Of course, on June 18, 1966 Jeff Beck had driven Jimmy to The Yardbirds gig at Oxford University. Jimmy agreed to join them as an interim bassist when Paul Samwell-Smith quit afterward.

20 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

It would be astronomically cool if Jimmy let his guard down and told surely incredible tales. Forget potential liability, etc.,

there are plenty of non-legal binding insights and adventures at hand. I find some of Jimmy's caution and reserve at many

times to be ridiculous, everyone under the sun knows Jimmy has done and participated in actions and practices few

on earth as a whole have done. Yes, Jimmy is "reserved", but Jimmy also should not say concerning drugs that " I was

focused when I needed to be focused". I totally love Jimmy, but that statement is sheer delusion. Would Jimmy say that

all the tours/albums were simply different, that the Euro 80' tour was just as powerful as 73' ? . Sorry, in too many nterviews (hopefully not this one) Jimmy plays dead, unless the theme is purely musical. Which can be cool, but we all

want to get inside Jimmy, the mystique thing at this stage isn't relevant much anymore.

I agree with you, and it really would be cool. I do like that he is reserved because I could imagine myself being the same why to an extent but I really wish he would open up a bit more, it's a bit of a selfish request but I think he could loosen up a little without being so nervous about repercussions.

Yeah, I fully understand the veil of secrecy while in Zep. And if anyone remembers, after Zep, Jimmy fully cemented

his image as some legendary recluse. At least until Hammer Of The Gods and the Firm, and the release of 77' and

further boots which at times showed a guitar legend declining rapidly and a slave to various substances. Jimmy has

a right to not answer difficult or uncomfortable questions. Unfortunately this leads many to speculate. A very good

example is Jimmy's stomach and digestive problems, which many think were 100% drug related. Jimmy had some

of these problems before Zep. In fact if you have a keen eye, on many of the large tours before 77', Jimmy's weight

tends to bounce around quickly, although mainly a small beer belly, not really overweight. Well I'LL be interested in

what Jimmy says, regardless.

I can honestly say that I've not watched, read or heard, any Jimmy Page interview that has been very revealing or entertaining.

He doesn't go into any great detail or depth on anything, not even the music, and there's no anecdotes or amusing stories to compensate.

In recent years it has got worse and he just wants to talk about how great Zep were and deal in complete generalisations.

My expectations for this talk are extremely low.

Archived