Jimmy Page will speak at the Oxford Union - 23 October at 8pm

zeplz71

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not aware of the typical format for these Oxford University presentations, but I'd expect this event to be geared to a musicology type approach, perhaps on Blues music or his session days, rather than a blast of heady Zeppelin related tales, musical or otherwise. Thinking more about this, I fully expect this to feature an erudite discourse by Jimmy, on the important contribution Aleister Crowley made to British culture and his innovative propagation of "Thelma."

Cheers,
Indi

So, do we have any Brits attending this thingamajig tonight?

Coming on the heels of Plant's appearance on Stern and Facebook, it'll be interesting to contrast Jimmy's talk and see how relaxed and forthcoming he will be.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Nice socks on the guy in the lower left corner. Guy's sneakers on the right look untied...come on, dude, look sharp.

What's going on with Jimmy's pant leg? 

I see you're a leg and foot man Sean? Looks a real dull affair. And like Plant all dressed in black (again)

What a filthy, tatty  looking room. You would think they would have got the Mr Sheen out on those wall panels, slapped a coat of varnish on the floor and that platform could do with a lick of paint too..

15 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

" If there was a hill, we surmounted it and kept on going. We were so good, we owed it to ourselves to keep growing musically. "

jp-ou6.thumb.jpg.d1eaaeec6e18d088a8a7bc14780633ba.jpg

..."Ronnie Wood approached Peter Grant in 1966 with an idea for a light and shade band. However, he had other commitments so I was invited to bring it forward. The first album sessions were rather quick because Ronnie had already sketched out his artistic vision for the band. Of course, none of us imagined it would be as popular as it became..."

..."I spent a fair amount of time with Ronnie & Krissy Wood in 1974, and it was around then that Ronnie & I decided the time was right for him to join. We discussed a dual-guitar approach to the back catalog as well as the new material. However, Ronnie was contacted by The Stones with an invitation to join them, and the rest is history..."

..."It was the right thing to do to have Ronnie Wood on the bill at Knebworth 1979 -- our last UK show -- as well as the 02 reunion gig -- our last ever show. You see, it was his band really, all the way through, it had just became a vehicle for me. Mind you, I'm so proud of all that we accomplished..."

15 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

oxford_union_jimmypage1.thumb.jpg.0eb462b2046c2d08ff7f22c2f5a977fc.jpg

"Whenever I address an audience this large I am reminded of something I read once, and that is one out of every eight people in the world today is a Chinese woman. So, if nothing else tonight, many here may have just learned something new about themselves".

36 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

"Whenever I address an audience this large I am reminded of something I read once, and that is one out of every eight people in the world today is a Chinese woman. So, if nothing else tonight, many here may have just learned something new about themselves".

So, is Jimmy’s next project going to be a book of wisdom (quotes) or is he working with / producing an all female Chinese  Led Zeppelin tribute band? 😆 

R😎

50 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

..."Ronnie Wood approached Peter Grant in 1966 with an idea for a light and shade band. However, he had other commitments so I was invited to bring it forward. The first album sessions were rather quick because Ronnie had already sketched out his artistic vision for the band. Of course, none of us imagined it would be as popular as it became..."

..."I spent a fair amount of time with Ronnie & Krissy Wood in 1974, and it was around then that Ronnie & I decided the time was right for him to join. We discussed a dual-guitar approach to the back catalog as well as the new material. However, Ronnie was contacted by The Stones with an invitation to join them, and the rest is history..."

..."It was the right thing to do to have Ronnie Wood on the bill at Knebworth 1979 -- our last UK show -- as well as the 02 reunion gig -- our last ever show. You see, it was his band really, all the way through, it had just became a vehicle for me. Mind you, I'm so proud of all that we accomplished..."

Has he ever said anything about this before? I don't recall reading anything.

I have to say, it sounds like a bullet dodged, can't imagine Ronnie Wood being in Led Zeppelin at all.

21 minutes ago, reids said:

So, is Jimmy’s next project going to be a book of wisdom (quotes) or is he working with / producing an all female Chinese Led Zeppelin tribute band? 😆 

R😎

There is talk of an online podcast called Deep Thoughts with Jimmy Page.

10 minutes ago, Mook said:

Has he ever said anything about this before? I don't recall reading anything.

I have to say, it sounds like a bullet dodged, can't imagine Ronnie Wood being in Led Zeppelin at all.

Mook, my post was meant to be a humorous response to claims that the discussion was predictable and Ronnie Wood's comments below, which Ronnie also alluded to in his autobiography.

Ronnie Wood has revealed he turned down a chance to join Led Zeppelin.

The Rolling Stones star revealed on his Absolute Radio show he had been invited to join the Stairway To Heaven rockers back in the 60s, when they were still called the New Yard Birds, but cast them off as a "bunch of farmers".

Ronnie said: "Peter Grant - who used to manage myself and Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart and Mickey Waller and Nicky Hopkins back in the good old days - he was behind a band that was going to be called The New Yard Birds, which I had an offer to join.

"And I said, 'I can't join that bunch of farmers.' Anyway, they turned out to be Led Zeppelin, he managed them as well."

8 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Mook, my post was meant to be a humorous response to claims that the discussion was predictable and Ronnie Wood's comments below, which Ronnie also alluded to in his autobiography.

The Rolling Stones star revealed on his Absolute Radio show he had been invited to join the Stairway To Heaven rockers back in the 60s, when they were still called the New Yard Birds, but cast them off as a "bunch of farmers".

Ronnie said: "Peter Grant - who used to manage myself and Jeff Beck and Rod Stewart and Mickey Waller and Nicky Hopkins back in the good old days - he was behind a band that was going to be called The New Yard Birds, which I had an offer to join.

"And I said, 'I can't join that bunch of farmers.' Anyway, they turned out to be Led Zeppelin, he managed them as well."

Ah, ok - thanks for clearing that up.

45 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Deep thoughts (w/ jack handey) and led wallets 😆👍 

R😎 

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

................. and now dear bretheran, if we can all turn to our hymn sheets and stand up and sing side 1 track 4. " There's a lady who's sure......."

PMSL! He does look somewhat parsonical in that pic

18 minutes ago, Jake Graham Godfrey said:

Is there going to be some transcript of the conversation? Does anyone know if he said anything about his current endeavors, however vague?

A few quotes on the Oxford union page https://twitter.com/OxfordUnion

They've posted full videos in the past so maybe we'll see it eventually

Archived