Jimmy Page will speak at the Oxford Union - 23 October at 8pm

zeplz71

13 hours ago, JTM said:

What a filthy, tatty  looking room. You would think they would have got the Mr Sheen out on those wall panels, slapped a coat of varnish on the floor and that platform could do with a lick of paint too..

Yeah, no kidding. You would think the place was built in the 11th century or something.

2 hours ago, SuperStatic said:

I will say that Jimmy still looks good and has pep in his step. Pretty cool.

If you are banging a hot 20 something at 73 years old you will have a pep in your step as well. Hell man, if I were banging a hot 20 something now at 49 I would not only have pep in my step, I would be running marathons!

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

lol. And have you been to Rome - the place is falling to bits...

Yep, it's all going to shit these days. Plenty of loot for the military, none for infrastructure.

4 hours ago, 76229 said:

You looking forward to the Ashes then rm2551? ;)

hahahaha - haven't followed the cricket for a few years to be honest.

There will never be cricket like the '80's with the West Indies team. THAT - was when it was well worth watching. Viv Richards, Big Bird, Clive Lloyd.

7 hours ago, rm2551 said:

hahahaha - haven't followed the cricket for a few years to be honest.

There will never be cricket like the '80's with the West Indies team. THAT - was when it was well worth watching. Viv Richards, Big Bird, Clive Lloyd.

Plus Malcolm Marshall 

7 hours ago, 76229 said:

and Greenidge & Haynes. Even in their prime though, Aus stuffed them once with Dutchie Holland bowling on a turning pitch at the SCG. Our spinners couldn't even do that!

What was Tony Greigs quote? "We will make them grovel" Too right they did. Awesome side only matched by their music, food and Ganja !

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

I know little of cricket. But it looks like Jimmy may be the headmaster for the next round of Harry Potter films.

Well, at least Jimmy maybe becoming an actor, at least he's doing something artistic.

I won't explain man. It's a game played by the English and it's Empire dwellers (as was)

1 hour ago, 76229 said:

Best game in the world, all you need to know. :hurrah:

Pity BT sports has the rights to The Ashes though. I refuse to pay. Can't remember if any non pay channel has the highlights. And I agree best sport in the world. Where else can you settle in for a few days and be thoroughly entertained?? 

The Beeb have shown highlights of the last three Ashes, and the deals were usually done late, so though I've heard nothing I'd hope the same thing would happen this time too. I'm debating getting BT Sport as if you have BT phoneline they give it you half price, or something. I won't give Murdoch any money though, so live summer cricket has been a dream for more than a decade now.

We seem to be slightly off topic, so to bring it back to the subject of JP, and avoid annoying the moderators, here he is

Image result for jimmy page + cricket

• 2 weeks later...

Not too bad actually.

Having read and watched countless Page interviews, it's clear when he gets asked an opinion on something - for instance in this case David Bowie and his peers - his modus operandi is to just explain the nuts and bolts of how him and Bowie got together and what they did.

Almost like a factual news report.

There is rarely any analysis or anecdotes to colour, or interpret, the facts.

So once you know Page's history, the interviews can be pretty dull, because he's no raconteur.

But I enjoyed the stuff about him visiting the uni in his youth.

8 hours ago, Black_dog_boogie said:

No questions on future solo works? Or a mini tour? Come on Oxford!

Look at him.  He's relatively healthy (probably most healthy he's been since about '76), but he's really looking his age now.  The O2 gig pretty much wiped him out, and that was a decade ago. I simply can't see him getting up on stage and playing for more than 30 minutes or so now, let alone touring.
It's pie in the sky, same as it has been since the end of the tour with The Black Crowes, 17 years ago.

32 minutes ago, woz70 said:

Look at him.  He's relatively healthy (probably most healthy he's been since about '76), but he's really looking his age now.  The O2 gig pretty much wiped him out, and that was a decade ago. I simply can't see him getting up on stage and playing for more than 30 minutes or so now, let alone touring.
It's pie in the sky, same as it has been since the end of the tour with The Black Crowes, 17 years ago.

You’re dead right, he’s looking very very old now. He won’t play again

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

You’re dead right, he’s looking very very old now. He won’t play again

Well he should have plenty of time then to project the shit out of all the live stuff on his shelf. And just maybe that one off rare live appearance with some touring band somewhere.

To a newcomer to the Jimmy Page story,  as I expect most of the audience were, that was probably an interesting and erudite disclosure on his history. To an experienced listener it sounds exactly as would be expected, almost line for line. 

Fair enough, he wasn't talking to fanatics wanting something more, but I wish he'd expand on his personal views and experiences occasionally rather than repeating his biography for the umpteenth time 

Archived