Jimmy Page will speak at the Oxford Union - 23 October at 8pm

zeplz71

On October 24, 2017 at 7:59 PM, IpMan said:

If you are banging a hot 20 something at 73 years old you will have a pep in your step as well. Hell man, if I were banging a hot 20 something now at 49 I would not only have pep in my step, I would be running marathons!

Anyone notice Jimmy's girlfriend sitting in the first chair on the left? I like how Page deflected that last question about favorite memories of his "life style during the 70's". Jimmy don't dish no dirt, its always... all about the music....dammit!!!:D

Yeah, not a bad interview, but nothing a heavy Zep fan hadn't known before. Jimmy certainly looks old, but older people

who are not healthy tend to have rather "dead" eyes. Jimmy's eyes still dance about, and he retains animation not

that common in someone that old. Unfortunately, this means little for the future output Zep or new material.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:26 PM, 76229 said:

The Beeb have shown highlights of the last three Ashes, and the deals were usually done late, so though I've heard nothing I'd hope the same thing would happen this time too. I'm debating getting BT Sport as if you have BT phoneline they give it you half price, or something. I won't give Murdoch any money though, so live summer cricket has been a dream for more than a decade now.

We seem to be slightly off topic, so to bring it back to the subject of JP, and avoid annoying the moderators, here he is

Image result for jimmy page + cricket

Loved that comment in a Robert Plant interview many years ago, where he was asked to comment on Jimmy Page's mysterious persona (words to that effect) and he replied something like, ".... It is not up to me to say the guy plays cricket."

Cheers,
Indi

Scarlett's reaction to the last question was priceless. I was delighted he did not swerve the Golden Dawn question; pity he did not elaborate on who those luminaries he was drawn to were. Whilst the general trajectory of the talk was familiar territory, there were some real gems of information in there.

Cheers,
Indi

6 hours ago, indigomoonbeam said:

Scarlett's reaction to the last question was priceless. I was delighted he did not swerve the Golden Dawn question; pity he did not elaborate on who those luminaries he was drawn to were. Whilst the general trajectory of the talk was familiar territory, there were some real gems of information in there.

Cheers,
Indi

I never made it that far. I was bored stiff after ten minutes of hearing the same old.....

Finally had time to listen to the whole thing.  I was intrigued when he said, in response to the question about composing vs improvisation,  he had just been listening to Dazed and Confused from January 1973 and how different it was July 1973.  He was so positive talking about how they were so good they owed it to themselves to push it every night and do something special and different.  It made me think - is he listening to live tapes for a forthcoming release?  We can hope. 

On 18/11/2017 at 3:04 PM, John M said:

Finally had time to listen to the whole thing.  I was intrigued when he said, in response to the question about composing vs improvisation,  he had just been listening to Dazed and Confused from January 1973 and how different it was July 1973.  He was so positive talking about how they were so good they owed it to themselves to push it every night and do something special and different.  It made me think - is he listening to live tapes for a forthcoming release?  We can hope. 

This is also being discussed on the Steve Hoffman forums and speculation is a-swirling that the piece being "mastered" right now (as per that Twitter post by John Davis) might be Southampton '73

8 hours ago, 76229 said:

This is also being discussed on the Steve Hoffman forums and speculation is a-swirling that the piece being "mastered" right now (as per that Twitter post by John Davis) might be Southampton '73

If this is the only live release for the 50th anniversary, I'll be disappointed.

68-73 live are already well covered in official releases.

The best of 75-80 is what fans want.

Unfortunately, I've got a gut feeling there isn't any live multi-tracks from 77 onwards - aside from Knebworth - and Page isn't keen on tarting-up soundboards.

14 hours ago, 76229 said:

Well, what a fucking let down that will be

On 10/24/2017 at 7:25 AM, SteveAJones said:

..."Ronnie Wood approached Peter Grant in 1966 with an idea for a light and shade band. However, he had other commitments so I was invited to bring it forward. The first album sessions were rather quick because Ronnie had already sketched out his artistic vision for the band. Of course, none of us imagined it would be as popular as it became..."

..."I spent a fair amount of time with Ronnie & Krissy Wood in 1974, and it was around then that Ronnie & I decided the time was right for him to join. We discussed a dual-guitar approach to the back catalog as well as the new material. However, Ronnie was contacted by The Stones with an invitation to join them, and the rest is history..."

..."It was the right thing to do to have Ronnie Wood on the bill at Knebworth 1979 -- our last UK show -- as well as the 02 reunion gig -- our last ever show. You see, it was his band really, all the way through, it had just became a vehicle for me. Mind you, I'm so proud of all that we accomplished..."

Makes me wish this actually happened. Would have made the live experience 10x better. I love Led live of course but only one guitar just wasn't enough. 

1 hour ago, paplbojo said:

Makes me wish this actually happened. Would have made the live experience 10x better. I love Led live of course but only one guitar just wasn't enough. 

Mate, are you on drugs?.......ridiculous 

One bit I really liked was when he was so enthusiastic describing how he wanted to learn everything he could about recording and producing while he was  a session player.  His love of sound comes through and his focus and intensity to key aspects of sound and recording are part of what set Zeppelin apart.  I know he has talked about this at length before but it was great to see the fire and spark today when he spoke about it.

Don't think Wood would have suited Zep's style at all.

He's too traditional.

Page had a second guitarist in P&P in 95 and it sucked.

The Black Crowes and Page thing was okay, but he was buried and it was too many cooks at points.

I like to have Jimmy all to myself . Flaws and all!

Archived