Could you help me piece together a bit more info about this copy of 'Led Zeppelin' please?

Phonostage

HI all

Firstly a big hello - I am new to the forum and have been meaning to join for ages, I'm captivated by some of the threads - most recently the chap who discovered the location of the block of flats on 'IV" - it's amazing!

Anyways I have been trying to research a record I have got my hands on - it is mentioned in Discogs where I get a lot of help and am a member - but only mentioned.

I have a copy of 'Led Zeppelin' with a grey stripe orange lettering cover, plum labels, Warner credits on one side and Superhype on the other. the third '8' is corrected (it says second '8' on Discogs but this could be a mistake?).. Discogs mentions wha seems to be this record under the description for the first pressings and just says:

There are also copies with the grey strip at the base of the sleeve which have Superhype credits on one label side and Warner Bros/7 Arts on the other, there are probably only a handful of these as it would only have happened when the remaining Superhype labels were being used up. 

But is doesn't say how many - or if this is still a first pressing? Or a transitional? Or a second?

And how rare is it? Rare enough to enhance the value? If so am I rich!!!! ha ha ha Ha Ha!!!!!!! (doubt it!!)

Also is there anything else interesting anyone can add? I have Googled and all that but as soon as I put in any sort of search I get every album on the internet!

Thanks in advance - and please don't hesitate to redirect me if there is a part of the forum just for this type of thing that I haven't found yet.. 

Best regards

Tony

Hold on - I did another Google and think I have found it! Discogs release r7228462

https://www.discogs.com/release/7228462

I did see a reference to it as I stated above but it wasn't linked to anywhere - I stumbled on this via Google!

Still no idea of the value as there are four for sale but none of them are this one - they are Warner/Jewel ones by the look of it. They need moving or something.

Is there anyone on here could tell me a bit more about this perhaps? I'm enticed by the description where it describes 'a handful of copies'.. it could be the rarest record I have! I won't be playing it on the Crossley Cruiser!

Thanks a lot.. 

Tony

Have you compared the matrix numbers scratched into the run out groove with the one on Discogs you have linked to. You definitely seem to have a latter (transitional) first press. 

Hi, I didn't actually check the whole number. I got distracted by the crossed out 8 and just checked that. 2nd 8 on one side and third on the other..... I'll have go and have a proper look. 

Thanks for the info, a transitional first fits with the Discogs bit but there is no clue on there about how many  'handful' is... has anyone on here got one or has seen one I wonder? 

Regards

Tony

Hi - Sorry, it is a 24 - not a 25 and it matches the Discogs release for 'Version 9' of the first press.. but still no idea how to value it as there are none for sale and the info is a bit sparse...

but I'm getting somewhere!

Regards

Tony

HI Zephead - and others. Do you know how I could go about establishing a value for this record? It is definitely variant 9 of the first press of 'Led Zeppelin' with Warner/Jewel credits on one side and Superhype on the other. It is noted on Discogs that there were probably only a handful of these made as the labels changed over. There is not much clue as to the value as the copies of this record that are for sale under that version on Discogs seem to be mostly Warner/Jewel copies which should really be in another section.. any advice anyone? Condition wise this is a low hours copy - definitely EX/EX

Thanks all

Tony

Archived