Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
chef free

The NBA 2017-2018 Thread

Recommended Posts

The hostility between the players and referees is at an all time high this year!  Pop got tossed last night.  Westbrook, KD and others have racked up record numbers of technicals.  Sure there are a lot of new-ish refs and modern players are pretty damn complain-y but this is just ridiculous!  The league has overturned 13 Ts this year, that is a direct admission of quick whistles for sure!  But what's going on? 

Is it:

too many "new" (less that 10 years of experience) referees?

too much complaining from (spoiled) players? (Calls can't be changed so why argue?)

uneven enforcement of rules such that players like LeBron can complain after EVERY PLAY without fear of a T, but just let Draymond Green look sideways at a ref and see what happens!

too many camera angles and replays; letting us know how many really bad or missed calls there are?

I think part of the problem is all the "new" rules every year.  We have so many NBA rules in the last 20 years but the same "just three" officials trying to watch everything. Maybe it's time for a fourth ref on the court...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe the Lakers don't need Lebron after all. They are starting to gel since that whopping trade with Cleveland.

Of course, beating San Antonio, Cleveland and Denver is one thing. Beating Golden State tonight is another. That will be the true test of where the Lakers stand.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2018 at 8:36 AM, Strider said:

Maybe the Lakers don't need Lebron after all. They are starting to gel since that whopping trade with Cleveland.

Of course, beating San Antonio, Cleveland and Denver is one thing. Beating Golden State tonight is another. That will be the true test of where the Lakers stand.

 

Yeah the only guy GS dressed last night was Durant.  All the other stars are out.  The Clippers are playing very well but you refuse to give them any credit.  They will bury the Lakers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Yeah the only guy GS dressed last night was Durant.  All the other stars are out.  The Clippers are playing very well but you refuse to give them any credit.  They will bury the Lakers.  

Rick, I'm never going to like the Clippers. I'm a Laker fan...I don't jump ship! It'd be like you rooting for the Patriots or Dolphins.

The Clippers are a clown franchise...they never should have left San Diego. At best, they should have relocated to Anaheim when they had the chance. Maybe they can move to Las Vegas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 12:37 PM, Strider said:

Rick, I'm never going to like the Clippers. I'm a Laker fan...I don't jump ship! It'd be like you rooting for the Patriots or Dolphins.

The Clippers are a clown franchise...they never should have left San Diego. At best, they should have relocated to Anaheim when they had the chance. Maybe they can move to Las Vegas?

Just sayin since the Blake Griffin trade the Clippers are far better than the Pistons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

MY Warriors are hurting! 

Let's see:

Curry, sprained ankle (again!)

Durant, broken rib (cartilage)

Thompson, broken thumb

McCaw, broken wrist

Casspi, sprained ankle

 

And recently the following have been out:

Green, sore shoulder

West, cyst on arm

Iguodala, sprained wrist

Bell, sprained ankle (twice!)

 

Edited by chef free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/19/2018 at 2:23 PM, chef free said:

MY Warriors are hurting! 

Let's see:

Curry, sprained ankle (again!)

Durant, broken rib (cartilage)

Thompson, broken thumb

McCaw, broken wrist

Casspi, sprained ankle

 

And recently the following have been out:

Green, sore shoulder

West, cyst on arm

Iguodala, sprained wrist

Bell, sprained ankle (twice!)

 

They are actually 7 point underdogs at Utah tonight.  Who saw that coming.  I think some of the injured are back but not Curry?  Not sure

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

They are actually 7 point underdogs at Utah tonight.  Who saw that coming.  I think some of the injured are back but not Curry?  Not sure

Curry's out for at least two more weeks, which means he will miss the first round.  McCaw took an awful fall and seriously bruised his back, he's out for four at least.  The rest are back, but Iguodala, Livingston and West are on the high side of 30 years old...

On the plus side Green is on fire, defending hard, dishing assists, grabbing rebounds, and even hitting 3's!  Thompson was shooting out the lights last game and being the under-rated wicked defender he is, plus he's been driving the lane for the first time in his career.  Of course KD's as steady as ever, hitting everything and getting the foul as well. 

I still think they've got what it takes for another championship run!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chef free said:

Curry's out for at least two more weeks, which means he will miss the first round.  McCaw took an awful fall and seriously bruised his back, he's out for four at least.  The rest are back, but Iguodala, Livingston and West are on the high side of 30 years old...

On the plus side Green is on fire, defending hard, dishing assists, grabbing rebounds, and even hitting 3's!  Thompson was shooting out the lights last game and being the under-rated wicked defender he is, plus he's been driving the lane for the first time in his career.  Of course KD's as steady as ever, hitting everything and getting the foul as well. 

I still think they've got what it takes for another championship run!

Except that Golden State's first round opponent will be either San Antonio or Oklahoma City. That will be a tough matchup without Steph Curry available. At least the Warriors won't have to worry about the Rockets until the Conference Finals.

Lakers didn't make the playoffs again...this is the longest playoff drought in my years as a fan. But at least I can take comfort in the fact that those bozos across the hall, the Clippers, didn't make the playoffs, either.

I pray for anyone but Cleveland in the East. Boston looked so good but now they are without Kyrie and that sucks. But Brad Stevens has shown he has a knack for coaching 'em up so maybe all is not lost for Boston just yet. A lot depends on final seeding matchups.

How real is Philadelphia? This late-season run they have been on is surprising but is it legit? Or have they just been catching teams in the doldrums of their season?

As it stands now, Toronto, Boston and Philly will all be seeded higher than Cleveland. Which means Cleveland will not have homecourt advantage for the Conference Finals. Unless the top seeds all choke in their early rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Strider said:

Except that Golden State's first round opponent will be either San Antonio or Oklahoma City. That will be a tough matchup without Steph Curry available. At least the Warriors won't have to worry about the Rockets until the Conference Finals.

Lakers didn't make the playoffs again...this is the longest playoff drought in my years as a fan. But at least I can take comfort in the fact that those bozos across the hall, the Clippers, didn't make the playoffs, either.

I pray for anyone but Cleveland in the East. Boston looked so good but now they are without Kyrie and that sucks. But Brad Stevens has shown he has a knack for coaching 'em up so maybe all is not lost for Boston just yet. A lot depends on final seeding matchups.

How real is Philadelphia? This late-season run they have been on is surprising but is it legit? Or have they just been catching teams in the doldrums of their season?

As it stands now, Toronto, Boston and Philly will all be seeded higher than Cleveland. Which means Cleveland will not have homecourt advantage for the Conference Finals. Unless the top seeds all choke in their early rounds.

Philly is real with Embid in the lineup.  I say they get to the finals in the East.  Might be a year away from the NBA final.   Or not?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Philly is real with Embid in the lineup.  I say they get to the finals in the East.  Might be a year away from the NBA final.   Or not?

Who you betting money on? I know you're betting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Philly is real with Embid in the lineup.  I say they get to the finals in the East.  Might be a year away from the NBA final.   Or not?

I agree - they just won 15 in a row mostly without him.

If they can hold onto the 3 seed (which they have almost clinched - I don't know who has the tiebreaker if Cleveland and Philly end up with the same record after the games tomorrow), I would really like their chances to at least get to the East Final (Boston is playing really poorly right now and have no hope of getting Kyrie back for the playoffs).

If they got that far, the winner of Toronto/Cleveland (who I think are very likely to meet in the second round) would be a very tough opponent; however, if Embiid were back healthy and effective...

Still, the old saying "that's why they play the games" holds true - nothing is a given in the playoffs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/10/2018 at 12:57 PM, Strider said:

Except that Golden State's first round opponent will be either San Antonio or Oklahoma City. That will be a tough matchup without Steph Curry available. At least the Warriors won't have to worry about the Rockets until the Conference Finals.

Lakers didn't make the playoffs again...this is the longest playoff drought in my years as a fan. But at least I can take comfort in the fact that those bozos across the hall, the Clippers, didn't make the playoffs, either.

I pray for anyone but Cleveland in the East. Boston looked so good but now they are without Kyrie and that sucks. But Brad Stevens has shown he has a knack for coaching 'em up so maybe all is not lost for Boston just yet. A lot depends on final seeding matchups.

How real is Philadelphia? This late-season run they have been on is surprising but is it legit? Or have they just been catching teams in the doldrums of their season?

As it stands now, Toronto, Boston and Philly will all be seeded higher than Cleveland. Which means Cleveland will not have homecourt advantage for the Conference Finals. Unless the top seeds all choke in their early rounds.

Lakers looked much improved this year.  Maybe not a lot of wins but some of those losses could have easily gone the other way. 

"Wait 'till next year!"B)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chef free said:

The real Warriors showed up!

Yeah. Not even the Rockets can go up against that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2018 at 4:06 PM, chef free said:

Lakers looked much improved this year.  Maybe not a lot of wins but some of those losses could have easily gone the other way. 

"Wait 'till next year!"B)

 

At least we beat the Clippers in the final game. Another season where the Clippers underachieve hahaha.

Lonzo Ball needs to hit the weight room and has to get tougher, stronger, and tell his dad to shut the fuck up. Maybe his dad can stay in Lithuania. 

Off-season will be interesting in Lakerland. Are they really serious about courting Lebron James? That would be a huge salary burden.

The Clippers seem to think they can woo Lebron James, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay...playoff predictions. Anyone intetested in submitting their picks?

I know it's a day or two late but here are mine:

Western Conference

#1 Houston over #8 Minnesota

#2 Golden State over #7 San Antonio 

#3 Portland over #6 New Orleans

#5 Utah over #4 Oklahoma City

Eastern Conference

#1 Toronto over #8 Washington

#2 Boston over #7 Milwaukee

#3 Philadelphia over #6 Miami

#4 Cleveland over #5 Indiana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2018 at 9:59 PM, Strider said:

Who you betting money on? I know you're betting.

I am betting game by game and usually parlays.  Sometimes baskets and hockey mixed.  This might be the most wide open year in some time. With the injuries to Golden st and all.  Cleveland gets blown out vs Indiana in game one. Now Lebron has his hands full.  I think Utah shows up tonight.  I believe the winner of OKC and Utah is the biggest threat to GS.  In the East?  Its tough to gauge Toronto.  Everyone expects Cleveland to find a way.  I am not so sure now.  I like Philly but only if Embid is in. He could not play game two and they lost

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

I like Philly but only if Embid is in. He could not play game two and they lost

He couldn't play in game one either, and they won.  So where does that leave you?? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/18/2018 at 9:09 PM, ebk said:

He couldn't play in game one either, and they won.  So where does that leave you?? :) 

Well I believe the 76ers are the best team in the East.   To get to the finals I feel they need Embid.  If he were unavailable for the rest of the ride, they likely put up a fight and fall just short.  With him, they are my pick to get to the finals.  Cleveland is in trouble.  I know you like the Wizards and I dont mind them either but I like the 76ers more.  The Raptors are a tough team to gauge.  I am picking Philly to get to the finals but likely need another year to win the whole thing.  Assuming that Curry is coming back?  If Curry cant play, I feel the winner of Utah and OKC is dangerous.  Westbrooke is a beast.  The best player in the NBA IMO right now.  And that includes King James.  As a team Utah can beat anyone.   But beating a Curry included Warriors team is not likely for anyone.  But it depends on how banged up they truly are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You are picking the 76er over Cleveland, Boston and Toronto?!?!  No way!  Maybe next year but not this year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, paplbojo said:

OKC is not a team in any meaningful sense of the word.

I was thinking that exact same thing last night!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×