Plant on Stern - 10/17/17?

Walter

On 10/18/2017 at 11:42 AM, JTM said:

This one is much better than Stern's fawning cock sucker interview..

This is a great interview! A lot more was said here than the last few interviews combined. I loved how he talks about his artistic integrity and moves forward with news musical ideas. After hearing him say that he doesn't want to be a Vegas act just playing the hits over and over.... there shouldn't be any doubt that they will never be another Led Zeppelin reunion.

^ Great interview...

Carry Fire, to me feels like the natural successor to Mighty ReArranger. He uses many of the same structures except more post-production as Plant had said. One thing that stands out, lyrically at least, is Plant is becoming more political. He makes some very strong statements on Carry Fire however he has a gift to do it in a way which is neither in your face nor aggressive. 

At the first listen to the May Queen and Bones of Saints I didn’t like it at all and dismissed the entire collection. Gave the the whole album a chance and now thourley enjoy it. Carry Fire is a great track and got my attention with the first listen. Plant is doing great work at this stage of his career. It’s not rock and it’s not for everyone for sure. It suits him, the lion in the winter of his career. 40 + years I’ve been listening to Robert Plant and he still is  bringing his best for us to enjoy or not. 

I liked this.  Got a couple of nuggets out of Robert I hadn't heard from him before.  And Howard was very respectful, even reverential in spots.  But I do differ with comments that he is a great interviewer.  There were countless times he would ask a good question, then not be able to shut up and listen for the full answer.  A good interviewer is not the show.  The interviewee is the show.

11 hours ago, A Traveler said:

I liked this.  Got a couple of nuggets out of Robert I hadn't heard from him before.  And Howard was very respectful, even reverential in spots.  But I do differ with comments that he is a great interviewer.  There were countless times he would ask a good question, then not be able to shut up and listen for the full answer.  A good interviewer is not the show.  The interviewee is the show.

Agree with this

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to listening to this. Howard was pretty classy and didn't really pressure Robert with questions like he always did other celebs. Probably because Robert would've simply walked out lol. 

I have to admit, although I'm glad Howard was respectful throughout, I'd liked to have heard him ask about some of the backstage incidents with groupies just to hear Plant's reactions. I'd liked to have heard Plant talk about the Seattle show where he smoked an LSD laced joint and had to leave early. As long as the interview was, it was still way too short. But Howard did pretty good.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:35 AM, SteveAJones said:

He had SOME work done in '74 but it isn't as if all his teeth were replaced. By the way, in July 2005 he popped one of his dental crowns while dining at Kokkari Restaurant in San Francisco. Although Kokkari co-owner Kenny Frangadakis had a dentist office in Cupertino, he referred Robert to Dr. Michael Fox's office in Laurel Village as it was much closer than his. 

Robert has also mentioned (in 1989) his Grandfather performed in a group called The Dudley Port Drinking Band.

I loved that bit about his grandfather performing and how music for Robert was always associated with having a good time with friends - not taking it too seriously. 

Side note on the lisp - I heard an interview with Stephen Colbert when "Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar" came out (so, maybe 2014?) and there was no discernible lisp. 

23 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Finally got around to listening to this. Howard was pretty classy and didn't really pressure Robert with questions like he always did other celebs. Probably because Robert would've simply walked out lol. 

I have to admit, although I'm glad Howard was respectful throughout, I'd liked to have heard him ask about some of the backstage incidents with groupies just to hear Plant's reactions. I'd liked to have heard Plant talk about the Seattle show where he smoked an LSD laced joint and had to leave early. As long as the interview was, it was still way too short. But Howard did pretty good.

I had never heard of the LSD incident and would love to know more! 

Archived