Outstanding Page performances after 1980

The Rover

Yeah, I've got most of those 96' shows. Great version, and Jimmy's style is always evolving, even a bit jazzier than the studio. Watched Bonnamasa do it, not bad, but you can always hear when Joe is doing B.B or SRV. Page chops up

his influences and his own thing very finely, and Jimmy isn't cloning anybody. Why can't they all get together and 

do a blues thing ?? I think the audience would love it..........ahhhhh, forget it.

• 2 months later...

Hammersmith, London in 88? Page was in great form, and I loved how Stairway had the audience as the vocalist and Jason Bonham conducting the audience.

Wembley, London in 95 .... what a concert!! I think it was the last concert of the tour and everyone seemed to pull all the stops out.

• 1 month later...

The Japan version of Tea for One is excellent...how about this ten years gone from a P&P soundcheck on the same tour? Or how about For Your Life from the O2? Not super complicated but a viscious song none the less-and look at that damn gibson black beauty with the three humbuckers and a bigsby! That alone is fantastic to see.   

I posted on this thread before, but there are so many of these gems out there.  It seems that these excellent post-1980 Page moments may be more of the norm than commonly thought. 

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, The Rover said:

Yes, let there be close ups of the crotch, belly button, nose hairs, and arses, to establish what's there. Then, just have a shot that gives the full stage showing all members, AND LET THE VIEWER DECIDE WHAT TO WATCH AND WHEN!!!!

Every concert film should have that full stage shot as a camera angle option for the presentation!!

If you look at some of The Rolling Stones official live dvd releases, there are options where you can choose a specific member as the main feed, with the others as smaller icons at the bottom right of the screen. That's about as far as technology can take the viewer at this point. There is another option presented in their Exhibitionism exhibit where you wear 3D glasses, enter the room and it's like being onstage with them. I don't see Led Zeppelin making similar strides. It took them five years just to release the 02 Arena show with minimal to no features such as this. 

Multiple isolated camera angles on each member were not filmed for any Zeppelin shows, except maybe the O2 concert. Their video documentary of full concerts is shameful compared to their contemporaries. And Jimmy knows that. But hey.... He did it His way.

On 3/11/2018 at 2:33 AM, The Rover said:

Multiple isolated camera angles on each member were not filmed for any Zeppelin shows, except maybe the O2 concert. Their video documentary of full concerts is shameful compared to their contemporaries. And Jimmy knows that. But hey.... He did it His way.

It just baffles me that there were no official live Firm, Solo Jimmy, Coverdale / Page, or Page / Plant releases. This fact is an outright crime and a complete mystery. Hell, even Plant has not released a pro shot live show and his official live releases are all pretty much post 2003 except for the odd bonus live tunes on his remastered earlier albums (Lively Up Yourself, Like I've Never Been Gone, Tall Cool one, In the Mood).

This is just weird.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

It just baffles me that there were no official live Firm, Solo Jimmy, Coverdale / Page, or Page / Plant releases. This fact is an outright crime and a complete mystery. Hell, even Plant has not released a pro shot live show and his official live releases are all pretty much post 2003 except for the odd bonus live tunes on his remastered earlier albums (Lively Up Yourself, Like I've Never Been Gone, Tall Cool one, In the Mood).

This is just weird.

The Firm: They only signed a two album deal with Atlantic, who gave them a hard time over the Five From the Firm music video release. There's a complete pro-shot MTV telecast in circulation.

Coverdale/Page: Geffen felt the album didn't sell that well despite a massive promo campaign and the US tour was postponed a few times. The  seven Japanese dates were arranged as a concession. Page definitely and Coverdale likely already knew before tour rehearsals that the project was not going one step further. Even if Geffen had pressed for a live release of any sort, Page would have nixed it knowing he and Robert were on the brink of collaborating again.

The Page/Plant live release for 1994-95 is Unledded. Jimmy was not in great shape physically for a '98 live release to be seriously considered, although there are a few pro-shot telecasts and some content on the Paris Amnesty International concert dvd.

There's a few pro-shot telecasts that have been commercially released. I've always felt Robert was opposed to live dvd releases because they would cut into ticket sales. He was touring very extensively as a solo artist at one point.

Ultimately, if either artist had management that was more in tuned with doing live releases we probably would have seen some.

15 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

The Firm: They only signed a two album deal with Atlantic, who gave them a hard time over the Five From the Firm music video release. There's a complete pro-shot MTV telecast in circulation.

What do you mean please elaborate

3 hours ago, bluecongo said:

What do you mean please elaborate

The Firm concert was broadcast over MTV and many recorded it on their high end VCRs. So that original pro-shot Firm concert exists.

18 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

There's a few pro-shot telecasts that have been commercially released. I've always felt Robert was opposed to live dvd releases because they would cut into ticket sales. He was touring very extensively as a solo artist at one point.

Ultimately, if either artist had management that was more in tuned with doing live releases we probably would have seen some.

Robert has done concerts broadcast on PBS. I assume you could buy those from PBS.

22 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Coverdale/Page: Geffen felt the album didn't sell that well despite a massive promo campaign and the US tour was postponed a few times. The  seven Japanese dates were arranged as a concession. Page definitely and Coverdale likely already knew before tour rehearsals that the project was not going one step further. Even if Geffen had pressed for a live release of any sort, Page would have nixed it knowing he and Robert were on the brink of collaborating again.

The Page/Plant live release for 1994-95 is Unledded. Jimmy was not in great shape physically for a '98 live release to be seriously considered, although there are a few pro-shot telecasts and some content on the Paris Amnesty International concert dvd.

Thanks Steve, though Jimmy had a sizable gut in 98' his playing was outstanding. If he does not want video of him playing they could still release a live album (audio only). Or, what about a live representation of the 96' shows? He was almost as good as 98' and yet did not have the gut. Plus, the setlist on the 96' shows was more interesting than the 95' shows. I have an un-official live show on video of the 95' of which the quality if official quality IMO and is one of my favorite videos. Everyone is playing really well and Page is without a doubt having a great night.

10 hours ago, IpMan said:

Thanks Steve, though Jimmy had a sizable gut in 98' his playing was outstanding. If he does not want video of him playing they could still release a live album (audio only). Or, what about a live representation of the 96' shows? He was almost as good as 98' and yet did not have the gut. Plus, the setlist on the 96' shows was more interesting than the 95' shows. I have an un-official live show on video of the 95' of which the quality if official quality IMO and is one of my favorite videos. Everyone is playing really well and Page is without a doubt having a great night.

I really hesitate to share what I'm about to because I respect Bill Curbishley, their manager at the time, immensely. However, it's been more than 20 years now, he's no longer managing them & they're no longer a going concern so here goes: none of the 1996 gigs were filmed professionally. Memory has it there was a discussion about who they could use. Nocturne (IIRC) had done the US tours, but Bill said something to the effect of, "No, we can't use them...". Knowing this, my friend stepped forward and offered to shoot the Japanese tour for free, with the understanding he would provide them copies. Bill agreed to this, that's how my friend got away with doing it! Same guy is also responsible for about 80% of 1995-98 audience videos in circulation, and the first complete 02 Arena concert videotape -- all of those without any permission whatsoever.

A live Page/Plant audio release? Well, they had authorized tapers sections on the first leg of the 1995 North American tour. So there are just so many virtually commercial release quality bootleg recordings already in circulation I doubt demand is there. The Japanese shows were brilliant BUT there were some false starts and such because they attempted different material.

Excerpt from Private Email dated 12/30/2005:

Any idea how Bill Curbishley feels about it (or you personally) now?

he wouldn't even remember me
I was just a bump in the road to those guys
they chew people up and spit them out on a regular basis
backstage in Osaka I was standing with Curbishley when he was talking to one of the road crew about needing to hire someone to do something for them down the road. the crew guy said "why don't we use the company we used last time" and Curbishley replied "no we can't use them, we never paid them last time." Guys like this step on anyone and everyone to get where they are going.  So, if you are planning to pay Curbishley to attend your convention, don't pay him up front or he will never show!  

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I really hesitate to share what I'm about to because I respect Bill Curbishley, their manager at the time, immensely. However, it's been more than 20 years now, he's no longer managing them & they're no longer a going concern so here goes: none of the 1996 gigs were filmed professionally. Memory has it there was a discussion about who they could use. Nocturne (IIRC) had done the US tours, but Bill said something to the effect of, "No, we can't use them...". Knowing this, my friend stepped forward and offered to shoot the Japanese tour for free, with the understanding he would provide them copies. Bill agreed to this, that's how my friend got away with doing it! Same guy is also responsible for about 80% of 1995-98 audience videos in circulation, and the first complete 02 Arena concert videotape -- all of those without any permission whatsoever.

A live Page/Plant audio release? Well, they had authorized tapers sections on the first leg of the 1995 North American tour. So there are just so many virtually commercial release quality bootleg recordings already in circulation I doubt demand is there. The Japanese shows were brilliant BUT there were some false starts and such because they attempted different material.

Excerpt from Private Email dated 12/30/2005:

Any idea how Bill Curbishley feels about it (or you personally) now?

he wouldn't even remember me
I was just a bump in the road to those guys
they chew people up and spit them out on a regular basis
backstage in Osaka I was standing with Curbishley when he was talking to one of the road crew about needing to hire someone to do something for them down the road. the crew guy said "why don't we use the company we used last time" and Curbishley replied "no we can't use them, we never paid them last time." Guys like this step on anyone and everyone to get where they are going.  So, if you are planning to pay Curbishley to attend your convention, don't pay him up front or he will never show!  

Thanks for this Steve. Very interesting

Archived