Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
The Rover

Outstanding Page performances after 1980

Recommended Posts

What do you consider outstanding live performances by Jimmy Page after 1980?

The top of my list is the 2007 O2 concert. Was every song outstanding? No. But I particularly liked Kashmir, TU, and IMTOD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not picky, it would be harder for me to pick non outstanding ones, he has not toured so much since Zeppelin's demise, so to me, anytime he has played has been an outstanding occasion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seattle '86 is arguably the hottest night of The Firm era.

Syracuse is arguably the hottest night of the 1988 tour.

Any show in October 1995 is arguably the best of the 1995-96 tour.

Any show in Oct/Nov 1998 is arguably the hottest night of the 1998 tour.

The Los Angeles shows are arguably the best of the ZoCrowes era.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Seattle '86 is arguably the hottest night of The Firm era.

Syracuse is arguably the hottest night of the 1988 tour.

Any show in October 1995 is arguably the best of the 1995-96 tour.

Any show in Oct/Nov 1998 is arguably the hottest night of the 1998 tour.

The Los Angeles shows are arguably the best of the ZoCrowes era.

 

What about the Cologne gig, August 98? Outstanding 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It shouldn't surprise me that none of the Coverdale/Page live shows were listed, but Jimmy was on fire on those dates. Any of the seven shows and you will catch Jimmy totally on it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As SAJ mentioned above, pretty much any performance from the 1998 Page & Plant tour features Jimmy in prime form. I particularly dig this version of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You from Paris 12/10/98. One of my all time favorite Page solos starts at 3:23:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ Wow, simply WOW!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

As SAJ mentioned above, pretty much any performance from the 1998 Page & Plant tour features Jimmy in prime form. I particularly dig this version of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You from Paris 12/10/98. One of my all time favorite Page solos starts at 3:23:

 

Yep, that was the last great tour with JP playing great. It’s hard to believe that was almost 20 years ago. I met JP/RP in May of 98. Great tour with Lili Hayden opening in the US, too.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am slightly biased here as I was at this show. First time P&P had performed. It was very emotional and wonderful

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 23, 2017 at 9:00 AM, bluecongo said:

I was 8th row in Syracuse in 1988.  It was 73 all over again he was incredible.  

I wasn't there (jealous), but its obvious from the video of Syracuse that Page was in "the zone". I just stumbled upon one of the better shot and better sounding '88 tour boot videos I've ever heard. Haven't seen the whole thing yet but please go to 4:45 to hear an excellent performance of 'Prelude'. Goddamn! Just listened to the STH solo at 1:53:40. Its fucking greatness!!!

 

Edited by blindwillie127

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most of 88' and practically all of 98'. By 88' Jimmy had pretty much regained or even surpassed a bit his Zep technique,

and on top of that he was still messing with the B-Bender often to brilliant effect. And who can forget after the bow solo

Jimmy and Jason almost note for note recreating the second half of D&C, a lot like 73'. Most people thought , forget it,

Jimmy not doing that again. And in New Orleans, 98' awesome overall, but HMMT is just out of this world. Page is

practically shredding on the solos, and the bow solo sounds 100 times more evil than LR. Some people who blanket

criticize this period(88', 95'-98'), have never probably fully listened to it. Sure, no JPJ, no Bonzo, but many of these

shows stand on their own. The Firm, some fire, but Jimmy was still rehabbing his playing  and still half wrecked.at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw P & P  at Great Woods in Massachusetts in 98' and they were amazing, so I guess this is my outstanding performance for Page post 1980.  Page did the version of BIGLY with the solo as shown in the earlier post here and it was even more powerful to see it live.  They also did a "real" version (not the rather miserable acoustic thing from No Quarter 1994) of No Quarter (or as real as it could be given the not-JPJ-and-Bonzo rhythm section) where Page's playing was just as fluid, jazzy, and technical as the version of No Quarter from the TSRTS film.      ( Part 1 of 2-P & P Mansfield Ma. ) (No Quarter starts ~25 min).  Page seemed like he was really in his element and was playing like was 1973 again.  He has presented this way during other events where he is well practiced and not too F'd up to keep it on track; such as the O2,  Roy Harper's Birthday event ( Page With Roy Harper "Same Old Rock", ) and the with the Black Crows.  

One other event that always stood out to me was the Montreux Jazz Festival 2001 where they did Elvis tunes and a cover of candy store rock ( BLPH 2001 P & P. ) Too bad they stopped playing together right after-I really felt the 50's stuff would have helped to them get back on track since it was their common interest back in the day.  There of course have been other moments besides these and hopefully there will be even more!

Edited by Darth Hoek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 11:17 AM, blindwillie127 said:

I wasn't there (jealous), but its obvious from the video of Syracuse that Page was in "the zone". I just stumbled upon one of the better shot and better sounding '88 tour boot videos I've ever heard. Haven't seen the whole thing yet but please go to 4:45 to hear an excellent performance of 'Prelude'. Goddamn! Just listened to the STH solo at 1:53:40. Its fucking greatness!!!

 

Thank God, it was Page fan filming this, or we'd get views of only the singer prancing around while Jimmy is jamming out, like some of the footage Massot provided us for TSRTS.

Edited by The Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, The Rover said:

Thank God, it was Page fan filming this, or we'd get views of only the singer prancing around while Jimmy is jamming out, like some of the footage Massot provided us for TSRTS.

Most of those film directors back in the day had no idea how to film a concert. When the guitarists solos...show the damn FINGERS!!! Close up goddamnit!!! When the singer is belting it out...show the singer! And so on. You would think this would be common sense but either there was none among 2nd tier directors in the 70's, or they were just stoned.

It seems the only thing one of the cameramen was focused on for most of the show was Robert's nob. Jesus Christ, we got it, Robert has a dick, now can we please move on to something else. FFS who was manning the camera that night...Paul Lynde?

Edited by IpMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that's always bugged me out. Even on the main 75' EC film, the director/filmer doesn't  at many points show

what should be shown. I guess if you'd be stoned or wasted shooting, you might think "It's all good, just go easy on

JPJ". Obviously if you watch video or DVD concerts( not boots, official releases) from the 80's on, the concerts are

filmed usually with some reasonable logic. Like the Unledded release and Celebration Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Most of those film directors back in the day had no idea how to film a concert. When the guitarists solos...show the damn FINGERS!!! Close up goddamnit!!! When the singer is belting it out...show the singer! And so on. You would think this would be common sense but either there was none among 2nd tier directors in the 70's, or they were just stoned.

It seems the only thing one of the cameramen was focused on for most of the show was Robert's nob. Jesus Christ, we got it, Robert has a dick, now can we please move on to something else.

Yes, let there be close ups of the crotch, belly button, nose hairs, and arses, to establish what's there. Then, just have a shot that gives the full stage showing all members, AND LET THE VIEWER DECIDE WHAT TO WATCH AND WHEN!!!!

Every concert film should have that full stage shot as a camera angle option for the presentation!!

Edited by The Rover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say that Rover has a brilliant idea. Most extensively shot shows of the last 20-25 yrs use enough cameras and 

angles that choice of camera/angles would likely be possible. There could be copyright problems, as fans could create

their own show from this arrangement. Then again , the media company could just charge a bit more for this, and everyone's satisfied. As if the fan creating his own unique show would sell / charge for a download and deprive

the media/rec company of $40,000. A great idea, although it may not survive the small print on a contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

I must say that Rover has a brilliant idea. Most extensively shot shows of the last 20-25 yrs use enough cameras and 

angles that choice of camera/angles would likely be possible. There could be copyright problems, as fans could create

their own show from this arrangement. Then again , the media company could just charge a bit more for this, and everyone's satisfied. As if the fan creating his own unique show would sell / charge for a download and deprive

the media/rec company of $40,000. A great idea, although it may not survive the small print on a contract.

Yep, plus, we can get either Harvey Fierstein or Taylor Swift to man the "cock cam" for those so inclined. Extra charge of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the 88 and 98 videos above. Prelude was great but I didn't care much for the rest af it too much. Staizrway in particular struck me as a good example of Page in need of a better drummer.to help him get a groove going

i haven't seen a bad 98 P/P 98 show yet. I hadn't seen this one before but it reinforces the point that Page was on his most consistent roll for 25 years. The BIGLY solo was the highlight of the tour for me but pretty much everything was on it. It's a shame that at the time he was on such a playing high, he looked terrible. And for that reason I doubt we'll ever see an official DVD release 

id be happy with a P/P live best of. On vinyl, natch

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2017 at 4:01 PM, Mithril46 said:

Most of 88' and practically all of 98'. By 88' Jimmy had pretty much regained or even surpassed a bit his Zep technique,

and on top of that he was still messing with the B-Bender often to brilliant effect. And who can forget after the bow solo

Jimmy and Jason almost note for note recreating the second half of D&C, a lot like 73'. Most people thought , forget it,

Jimmy not doing that again. And in New Orleans, 98' awesome overall, but HMMT is just out of this world. Page is

practically shredding on the solos, and the bow solo sounds 100 times more evil than LR. Some people who blanket

criticize this period(88', 95'-98'), have never probably fully listened to it. Sure, no JPJ, no Bonzo, but many of these

shows stand on their own. The Firm, some fire, but Jimmy was still rehabbing his playing  and still half wrecked.at least.

The 88, 93, 98, and 02 Gig (considering it was 1 gig only and a broken finger) - and I agree on the Bender bit as well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

This just kills me every time. 

 

Wow - that's an outstanding performance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×