The Rain Song

porgie66

Sometimes I think this may be Zep's greatest all around composition. It's such a beautifully written song, in all aspects. Lyrically, melodically, harmonically, the layering of the  arrangement with mellotron strings. The light and shade, tenderness and power. I also love the fact that it's the only song that Bonzo ever used brushes exclusively, no sticks.  I read somewhere that Page started it out as a reaction to George Harrison's comment in which he said Zep never wrote any ballads or love songs. ( I guess WLL isn't a love song really,😏). Plant is at his best here too, the lyrics are not pretentious, and he delivers the tune with great breadth of feeling and dynamics. My favorite part is the haunting coda which is entirely different than the rest of the tune. Brilliant!! 

It is indeed a lovely song and I adore the way it's put together with The Song Remains The Same. It goes from thunder and galloping fury to tenderness and warmth. A perfect encapsulation of "light and shade". The lyrics are beautiful and the way Robert sings them so sincerely is what puts it over the top. Easily in my top 10 favorite Zeppelin songs.

As a side note, I always found the Harrison thing a bit weird. I'm guessing he'd never heard of Thank You? :lol:

10 minutes ago, ZepHead315 said:

As a side note, I always found the Harrison thing a bit weird. I'm guessing he'd never heard of Thank You? :lol:

Well put. I agree, although maybe Harrison felt Thank You was too heavy or bright tempo. Tangerine would seem to qualify too. 

Seemed to me many of the old hometown “wanks” never appreciated Zeppelin... wonder why that is 🤔

Perhaps being so popular and selling the most and making the least (9 albums) while doing so is likely a great start !!!

Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker, Pete Townshend, Keith Richards... etc...

Great piece on the Rain Song BTW.... very well written !!

Its a beautiful fucking song... and I never listen to it. I only listen to live LZ and when RS comes up I skip it because its long and contains no improvisation. Its the type of song that has to be played as it was on the record (for the most part). Same kinda goes for Kashmir for me, except for the ending where Bonham n Page start dueling with each other. That being said, I think RS is a masterpiece. 

14 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Its a beautiful fucking song... and I never listen to it. I only listen to live LZ and when RS comes up I skip it because its long and contains no improvisation. Its the type of song that has to be played as it was on the record (for the most part). Same kinda goes for Kashmir for me, except for the ending where Bonham n Page start dueling with each other. That being said, I think RS is a masterpiece. 

I was just thinking of RS live...

I agree with others about the quality of the song, one of their studio best. Structure and flow, musicianship, how it builds, Plants lyrics and delivery, just incredible. But live...

Who wants to offer their "best Rain Song" live recommendations? While I don't exactly agree blindwillie127, I certainly understand that POV.

Is there one or two live ones that stand head and shoulders above others?

7 minutes ago, rm2551 said:

I was just thinking of RS live...

I agree with others about the quality of the song, one of their studio best. Structure and flow, musicianship, how it builds, Plants lyrics and delivery, just incredible. But live...

Who wants to offer their "best Rain Song" live recommendations? While I don't exactly agree blindwillie127, I certainly understand that POV.

I can't really point to a specific live version that really stands out, precisely because of what blindwillie said. Since there really is not much improvising other than the playing of the ensemble parts/no real solos to speak of, it makes for a fairly predictable song live...and  Plant's voice was often rough live in 73 and 75 , so most live versions he sounds like he's straining .  There are some good ones ...usually if the mellotron isn't out of tune that automatically makes for a good version, and if Plant can hit the notes . Actually I think TSRTS film version is a great one and I think its the only song from the soundtrack that is exclusively one take, not spliced.   Bonham plays with mallets and sticks live which gives it a different feel than the use of brushes only on the studio track. 

I quickly visited the TSRTS vs Earls Court. Earls Court wins hands down for me. Just seems a better, more deep/intense version.

If Earl's Court is indeed the next live release (50th Anniversary treat) - I think the Rain Song may well be one of MANY highlights. If they can just deal with that brutal blue lighting....

Awesome song. And that ending, where Page sounds like he's playing a dulcimer or some other obscure very old 

English/ Irish instrument, is brilliant. I am in fact amazed this song didn't have a thread; Is it sure maybe a few years

ago  it did ? The song by most fans is considered a classic, not just very good, etc.. Maybe it was mentioned as the

most beautiful Zep song, and other threads, never a dedicated thread.

Well someones gotta be first so it will be me:) This is my favorite song by the band and has been for 30+ years. . but not the original. . The version from the original TSRTS is the one song Ive heard close to a thousand times. .the mellotron was the perfect vehicle to drive this song (JPJ should have got a credit for the arrangement). . "upon us all a little rain must fall" is a line of few words but speaks volumes to me. .It is unlike any other song in the catalog. .  It could be the hippie in me. . It always hits me right in the feelers. . Guess Im gonna have to hear it now. . 

On 04/11/2017 at 8:04 AM, porgie66 said:

I can't really point to a specific live version that really stands out, precisely because of what blindwillie said. Since there really is not much improvising other than the playing of the ensemble parts/no real solos to speak of, it makes for a fairly predictable song live...and  Plant's voice was often rough live in 73 and 75 , so most live versions he sounds like he's straining .  There are some good ones ...usually if the mellotron isn't out of tune that automatically makes for a good version, and if Plant can hit the notes . Actually I think TSRTS film version is a great one and I think its the only song from the soundtrack that is exclusively one take, not spliced.   Bonham plays with mallets and sticks live which gives it a different feel than the use of brushes only on the studio track. 

I think the Knebworth version (08/04) is great as well

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 4:58 PM, porgie66 said:

Sometimes I think this may be Zep's greatest all around composition. It's such a beautifully written song, in all aspects. Lyrically, melodically, harmonically, the layering of the  arrangement with mellotron strings. The light and shade, tenderness and power. I also love the fact that it's the only song that Bonzo ever used brushes exclusively, no sticks.  I read somewhere that Page started it out as a reaction to George Harrison's comment in which he said Zep never wrote any ballads or love songs. ( I guess WLL isn't a love song really,😏). Plant is at his best here too, the lyrics are not pretentious, and he delivers the tune with great breadth of feeling and dynamics. My favorite part is the haunting coda which is entirely different than the rest of the tune. Brilliant!! 

Great post, George! Totally agree.

On 11/4/2017 at 2:43 AM, rm2551 said:

Seattle 7/17/73. Jones is forced to switch to piano IIRC because the mellotron was failing. I think it really brings out the beauty in the song, even more so than TSRTS. Plant sings it really well too. Definitely a unique version that's for sure!

3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Seattle 7/17/73. Jones is forced to switch to piano IIRC because the mellotron was failing. I think it really brings out the beauty in the song, even more so than TSRTS. Plant sings it really well too. Definitely a unique version that's for sure!

Yes, a very nice unintentional variation ! 

On 11/4/2017 at 8:15 AM, rm2551 said:

I quickly visited the TSRTS vs Earls Court. Earls Court wins hands down for me. Just seems a better, more deep/intense version.

If Earl's Court is indeed the next live release (50th Anniversary treat) - I think the Rain Song may well be one of MANY highlights. If they can just deal with that brutal blue lighting....

I just listened to all three live versions mentioned here... Earl's Court, Seattle and TSRTS....

Earl's Court doesn't do it for me. The band sounds great, and I agree with rm2551 that it's very intense , but Robert's vocals, ugh. 

Seattle - Robert's vocals are a bit better and I do like the piano taking over in the middle. The mellotron really sounded awful before it gave up and Bonham's drumming isn't as good on this one as on the others. 

TSRTS is the winner for me. 

In addition to loving the music, the lyrics really make this one of my all-time favorites. For me, the litmus test on this song is the "talk, talk, ... I felt the coldness of my winter" and that last "aaaahhhhh" at the end. If those are off, I'm not into the live version of it. 

I read somewhere that Robert thought the studio version was one of his best vocal performances

I think Seattle 3/21 1974 is the best! The vocals are better then TSRTS and the rest is really beautiful too!

The vocals were unstable in 1973 and 1975 many times and even in 1979 and in 1980 they were quite rough and in background on the high parts. Also the mellotron broke down sometimes. Somehow I always liked the 1979-80 synth. 

10 hours ago, EaglesOfOneNest said:

For me, the litmus test on this song is the "talk, talk, ... I felt the coldness of my winter" and that last "aaaahhhhh" at the end. If those are off, I'm not into the live version of it.

Yeah, me too. When it get heavy with "I felt the coldness..." the drums, guitar, and vocal have to really be heavy to drive home the angst that part of the song conveys. Such a great feeling when you are listening along "in the zone". I just listened to the Seattle matrix now. A great version.

17 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

I think Seattle 3/21 1974 is the best! The vocals are better then TSRTS and the rest is really beautiful too!

The vocals were unstable in 1973 and 1975 many times and even in 1979 and in 1980 they were quite rough and in background on the high parts. Also the mellotron broke down sometimes. Somehow I always liked the 1979-80 synth. 

That was a good version, thanks for sharing!. Love the Plantation at the end and the love for Jonesy!

I'll try to toss my 2 cents in.. 

Best performance of Rain Song? Truly difficult to answer, but some favorite live performances (at this moment of time)..

Vancouver 1975-03-20.. This is actually a long time favorite.. This is the one where everyone is ON. 

Tokyo 1972-10-02. Never really been a fan of the early performances of the Rain Song, but the very 1st performance varies the furthest from the original studio  release making it a refreshing listen to say the least.

Brussels 1980-06-20.. There is more to 1980 Zeppelin than Frankfurt and that botched Kashmir in Zurich...

Earl's Court 1975-05-23..

• 11 months later...

Archived