Bootlegs

fwb

I just would rather pipe in like some others that if ANY band was supposed to be bootlegged, and many concerts taped

even illegally, you simply couldn't find a better band to bootleg. Many fans including myself look upon many shows

almost as the Crown Jewels of R'nRoll., and unlike some who think Zep will be slowly and eventually forgotten, I totally

disagree. With all their flaws, Led Zep live was often magical and mythological, and you can't manufacture or can

what they did. Again, bootlegging is illegal, but not having all the live stuff we have now , that would be a far worse

crime or state of affairs.

34 minutes ago, Mithril46 said:

I just would rather pipe in like some others that if ANY band was supposed to be bootlegged, and many concerts taped

even illegally, you simply couldn't find a better band to bootleg. Many fans including myself look upon many shows

almost as the Crown Jewels of R'nRoll., and unlike some who think Zep will be slowly and eventually forgotten, I totally

disagree. With all their flaws, Led Zep live was often magical and mythological, and you can't manufacture or can

what they did. Again, bootlegging is illegal, but not having all the live stuff we have now , that would be a far worse

crime or state of affairs.

Too damn right. And then there is that other crime of not officially releasing MUCH more live material.

On 11/7/2017 at 1:35 PM, Strider said:

Believe what you want to believe. In all my Led Zeppelin concerts I never saw Grant and Cole wading through the audience with bats in hand looking to smash up a tape recorder. Grant was far more busy making sure there weren't any pirate concessions and merchandise sales going on in the venue.

Point of clarification. They allowed "tapers" not "bootleggers" per se. The deal was you could tape a Grateful Dead show if you weren't going to sell it; either traded it or seeded a tree. Because they were one of the first bands to realize that fans recording and trading their one of a kind shows (like Zeppelin, the Dead improvised and jammed...every show was different) helped build their aura.

That's why you find a lot of "jam bands" and their ilk allow taping to go on at their concerts. Black Crowes, Phish, moe., DMC, all have taping sections near the soundboard reserved for tapers. Hell, even Robert Plant allowed a taping section on one of his tours...it might have been one of the Page & Plant tours.

Strider, it was the Page & Plant 1995 tour where they had a taping section.  I remember seeing this certainly for the Spring tour and possibly also the Fall dates.  Not 100% certain about the latter.

9 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Man I would love to have some vinyl boots of some of these latest soundboard releases, not to mention some Page/Plant vinyl boots

Given the huge increase in vinyl sales and interest in the past decade, the lack of foresight by the Japanese bootleg companies is mindboggling. Why aren't Wendy, Empress Valley, et al putting out these latest releases in vinyl form? 

20 minutes ago, Strider said:

Given the huge increase in vinyl sales and interest in the past decade, the lack of foresight by the Japanese bootleg companies is mindboggling. Why aren't Wendy, Empress Valley, et al putting out these latest releases in vinyl form? 

Demand for contemporary bootlegs on vinyl is almost non-existent. Additionally, the profit margin on a vinyl release is much smaller. 

On 11/8/2017 at 6:46 PM, Strider said:

I have an excellent sounding transfer on vinyl of Paris Olympia. There is almost no point though in owning the vinyl sonically over a CD if they use digital sources and transfers . It's really just for the aesthetic value, the artwork. Then again, that damn Paris show sounds and it's cool to see the colored vinyl spin! 

Archived