Thanks to fans, Final concert

Mosszep

Only my second post. as an older guy and huge Zep fan. Brilliant memories of seeing them at Manchester Uni, Earls Court and Knebworth, My view is the O2 concert was a celebration, but real fans, young and old, did not get much of a chance and too many celebrities attended. A one off Knebworth/Hyde Park/Wembey gig would be a sell out, but a final thank you to the real fans. It needs the three members to agree and will probably never happen.

33 minutes ago, Mosszep said:

Only my second post. as an older guy and huge Zep fan. Brilliant memories of seeing them at Manchester Uni, Earls Court and Knebworth, My view is the O2 concert was a celebration, but real fans, young and old, did not get much of a chance and too many celebrities attended. A one off Knebworth/Hyde Park/Wembey gig would be a sell out, but a final thank you to the real fans. It needs the three members to agree and will probably never happen.

Thanks to fans, for what ? now don't be silly..

You might have missed my point. I deliberately mentioned a large arena for a Final Farewell concert, which would allow young, middle-aged and old to attend ! Black Sabbath, AC/DC have recognized the fans in this sense. The Thank You is a one off for all the LPs,CDs, merchandise, which all the fans bought. RP, JP and JPJ do not owe it to the fans, but, would a Farewell gesture be a better wording ?

1 hour ago, Mosszep said:

Great show at Manchester Uni was it ?? Did you miss the Hardrock shows? I think the dude who owns Knebworth would never allow them back on his land again

The O2 show was always going to be full of celebs. Naomi Campbell !! For fucks sake

How is things over the hill in Prestbury?

2 hours ago, Mosszep said:

You might have missed my point. I deliberately mentioned a large arena for a Final Farewell concert, which would allow young, middle-aged and old to attend ! Black Sabbath, AC/DC have recognized the fans in this sense. The Thank You is a one off for all the LPs,CDs, merchandise, which all the fans bought. RP, JP and JPJ do not owe it to the fans, but, would a Farewell gesture be a better wording ?

Farewell gesture ?  But where would this large arena "gesture" be held UK, Europe, USA ? Mate, it's a nice pipe dream but it's never going to happen..

....yea, there were celebrities ( I saw Brian May and Marilyn Manson there) and business execs that were at the O2 to be part of the scene, but everyone I met were die hard fans.  You don't camp out in line for three days if you are just a celebrity looking for attention. 

29 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

....yea, there were celebrities ( I saw Brian May and Marilyn Manson there) and business execs that were at the O2 to be part of the scene, but everyone I met were die hard fans.  You don't camp out in line for three days if you are just a celebrity looking for attention. 

The point I think he was making was the it was supposed to be a lottery who got the tickets. Quite how the celebs got tickets and not the die hard fans really pisses me off. And why did you camp out in line for 3 days if you had a ticket?

5 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

The point I think he was making was the it was supposed to be a lottery who got the tickets. Quite how the celebs got tickets and not the die hard fans really pisses me off. And why did you camp out in line for 3 days if you had a ticket?

The majority of the tickets (18,000 I believe) went into the lottery system.  Another 8,000 were reserved for the elite.

I wasn't one of the "three dayers" just a "one dayer".  5,000 of the tickets were "standing" tickets, which meant general admission on the floor of the O2.  I was number 47 in line when they opened the gate and managed to get up front against the barricade in between Page and Plant for the show.  I had a better "seat" than 99% of all the celebs that were there!  

14 minutes ago, Stryder1978 said:

The majority of the tickets (18,000 I believe) went into the lottery system.  Another 8,000 were reserved for the elite.

I wasn't one of the "three dayers" just a "one dayer".  5,000 of the tickets were "standing" tickets, which meant general admission on the floor of the O2.  I was number 47 in line when they opened the gate and managed to get up front against the barricade in between Page and Plant for the show.  I had a better "seat" than 99% of all the celebs that were there!  

I didn't realise that. You mean 5000 general admission tickets were standing downstairs and you could get in just by queuing? I possibly would have gone down south if I knew that. errrr on second thoughts, nah not even that would get me to go down there

You are correct - 5,000 standing "first come, first in the gate" tickets.  It was like the concerts in the good 'ol days.....everyone was polite, sharing stories, food and drink while waiting in line.  They even saved your spot if you had to go to the loo!  Security was pretty tight, so you need the people around you to vouch that you weren't cutting in line when you came back! 

Oh c'mon man, it's music that needs really a lot of energy, technicality and most importantly their drummer had a very unique approach! And Led Zeppelin will never say farewell, keep listening and understand it's not about saying goodbye, it's about staying in your company while doing something new and with new unique musicians. They said thank you many times while they were still playing, but fans should be thanking for the music because should you be really that thankful for someone liking your music? You made it and someone likes it, maybe if no one ever liked it then yeah, but otherwise people should thank you a lot more instead of demanding to bring back something unique from your youth, that needs unique band members that died and the whole thing was based on moving forward anyway!

And even with everything wrong about it, it would have to be a tour to really make that much of an attendance difference and Plant won't do that! I think a ballot was a very fair thing for a one off show and celebrities attending didn't change that a lot. It would be better if only 'real' fans could enter the ballot, but I don't know how exactly you would prove that! At least nobody would think For your life was a new song, but surprises are always good!  ;)  :)

2 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

And even with everything wrong about it, it would have to be a tour to really make that much of an attendance difference and Plant won't do that! I think a ballot was a very fair thing for a one off show and celebrities attending didn't change that a lot. It would be better if only 'real' fans could enter the ballot, but I don't know how exactly you would prove that! At least nobody would think For your life was a new song, but surprises are always good!  ;)  :)

What defines a "real fan"? People wanted to go for a variety of reasons and there's no right one. It was a lottery system which is randomly picked so no bias there. As for celebrities, again why aren't they entitled to go? How do you know they don't like Zep? Just because Naomi Campbell is a model and not a rocker means she doesn't like rock? 

1 hour ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

What defines a "real fan"? People wanted to go for a variety of reasons and there's no right one. It was a lottery system which is randomly picked so no bias there. As for celebrities, again why aren't they entitled to go? How do you know they don't like Zep? Just because Naomi Campbell is a model and not a rocker means she doesn't like rock? 

Yeah!

3 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

Sure celebrities are entitled as much as anyone else, however, if they wanted to go they should have put in for the lottery like everyone else. Just because one is a celebrity should not equate to special consideration. Especially 8,000? I never knew it was that many. WTF??? I can see maybe 100 of the bands friends, family, and "special celebrities" such as other musicians but 8 friggin k? Sorry, but that is serious bullshit right there, bullshit which is inexcusable.

34 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Sure celebrities are entitled as much as anyone else, however, if they wanted to go they should have put in for the lottery like everyone else. Just because one is a celebrity should not equate to special consideration. Especially 8,000? I never knew it was that many. WTF??? I can see maybe 100 of the bands friends, family, and "special celebrities" such as other musicians but 8 friggin k? Sorry, but that is serious bullshit right there, bullshit which is inexcusable.

Agree. Even 1000 'reserved for mates/family/whoever' tickets would be at the top end of reasonable. 8000 is just rubbish.

And I agree the idea of a final "thank you" concert as a concept does not work. Would need to be a "thank you" tour - and that will not happen, so this thread topic doesn't really go anywhere.

When Jimmy is touring with his new material next year, I'll be sure to attend so I can thank him!

*runs and hides from the angry reply onslaught :running:

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

Totally agree IPMAN it’s fucked! Same the world over though. Try being a footie fan in England when your team makes the final. The allocations are disgraceful to the competing teams 

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

There weren't 8000 celebrities there. All things considered, I don't think there were that many and who's to say that the band or others given tickets didn't give them to those people? Concerts always have a set number of tickets to comp for the band, record company, venue etc. That is nothing new.  Also, who said 8000 tickets were comped? I've never heard that before.

I think a O2 date, a MSG date and a Forum date could have worked. . sounds plausible to me. . I realize it opens up all kinds of hassles since Percy wanted to move forward but it could have been done. . after all it was the U.S. they conquered. . Im 8000 miles from London and really had no chance to get a ticket. . Selfishly, it would have been nice to have an American show. . 

The main premise, to have one concert now, even Jimmy wouldn't do it. Same as the 07'. Much rehearsal, anticipation,

do a good gig, then nothing. Jimmy tore his hair out once about this, no go unless it's a full tour. Too many hard feelings

between Jimmy and Robert now anyway.

Having started the post, at least it inspired debate. There has to be the drive and determination from Jimmy and Robert, which probably does not exist to do 1, 2 or 3 concerts to mark the 50th Anniversary. Maybe it is best but disappointing to just remember. Ironically, as an older guy, but young at heart, I feel for the younger fans who never enjoyed the sheer excitement of a live concert. As the posts explain, demand to attend would never be met, same as with the O2 ! A conundrum??

19 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

I didn't realise that. You mean 5000 general admission tickets were standing downstairs and you could get in just by queuing? I possibly would have gone down south if I knew that. errrr on second thoughts, nah not even that would get me to go down there

Haha love it

2 hours ago, Mosszep said:

Having started the post, at least it inspired debate. There has to be the drive and determination from Jimmy and Robert, which probably does not exist to do 1, 2 or 3 concerts to mark the 50th Anniversary. Maybe it is best but disappointing to just remember. Ironically, as an older guy, but young at heart, I feel for the younger fans who never enjoyed the sheer excitement of a live concert. As the posts explain, demand to attend would never be met, same as with the O2 ! A conundrum??

They won't be doing a farewell concert/tour so there is no conundrum.

Archived