Listen to This Erik- A looong story of why it took 40 years to be released.

gbauer1

First off, I just want to say thank you to everyone that has downloaded or listened to the new Listen to This Erik 6/21/77 show and submitted their thoughts on the various websites. I am completely blown away and incredibly stoked that so many people are enjoying the show.  I wanted to provide a little context into how this whole recording came to be released now.  This recording has been very very special to me for many years.  Luckily, after listening to the original for a few months, I transferred the recording to a second tape and never played the original again until it was played by JEMS to transfer.  I also made a couple of copies for my brother Dave and a couple of other friends.  I did transfer it to iTunes and made a few cd’s for friends but there were probably only a dozen or so ever made.  Which leads to the inevitable next question.......WHY THE HELL DID YOU WAIT SO LONG TO GET THIS OUT? 

By this time I had a copy (e-bay purchase) of Listen To This Eddie and knew how highly regarded it was. I just didn’t realize the demand for multiple copies of the same show. I plead ignorance on count number one! I loved the music on LTTE  and especially enjoyed listening to that parts that I didn’t catch on my recording but honestly when I wanted to relive MY concert experience, I listened to my own recording.  LTTE just didn’t have the same feel for ME!  Please Please don’t take this as a knock on LTTE but when I hear my recording to this day (and especially with the new version) I get absolute full body chills remembering that show. I’ve never gotten that from Eddie. My brother (and helper in the taping) is the same way.  I was listening to this show 30 minutes after it ended and have since heard it at least a couple of thousand times. For me, it’s a very vivid memory of what is unquestionably the greatest concert that I was ever lucky enough to be at. It has been nothing short of amazing for me to hear the new restored and mastered version of the show.  I have listened to virtually nothing else since I first got a copy on Halloween. 

Oh yeah, back to the subject... about 4 years ago I was trying to figure out a way to post the show but I unfortunately was technically challenged back then and wasn’t sure how to. I actually threw a comment on the Led Zeppelin forum in 2013 that was recently discovered where I mentioned that I had taped the show.  I was curious if there would be any response and when there wasn’t I figured there wasn’t a big demand.  Mistake number 2 for those keeping score!  With the 40th anniversary of the show this past year,  I decided to make a YouTube video with my recording as a soundtrack and just post it on my YouTube channel. I have about 240 concert videos on there and figured this would be kind of cool to direct my friends to if wanted to hear the show. The only digital copy that I had was from my iTunes playlist which included the wrong Moby Dick.  I just pasted it together and threw it on without even listening to it. I was horrified when the wrong MD was pointed out.

This is is getting really long, so long story short- it was spotted by Zephead and shared on the LZ Forum. I was urged to have it copied correctly. Luckily through an amazing friend (Thank You BW!) I was able to connect with the JEMS crew. They did an absolutely amazing job with 40 year old, 120 minute cassettes.  Throw in batteries near death at end of the show,  etc. They were great to work with and allowed me to be involved and give input along the way. I saw a comment that said they  would trust JEMS with this type of mastering job more than they would the Smithsonian.  I’ve never had the Smithsonian restore my tape But... JEMS IS THE BEST! Again sooooo stoked people are enjoying this! Peace, GB

P.S. For anyone still wondering why Listen to This Erik is called that,  it is in tribute to my lifelong friend Erik H.  He had an amazing time at the show from what people have told him.  Unfortunately, his own memory is completely blank. The moral of the story children is-  don’t mix chemicals (lots) and really good Thai weed at 6 p.m. the day of a Led Zeppelin show or you’ll end up like Erik- who became a real rocket scientist!  I’m NOT kidding! P.P.S.-  I warned you in the title it was looooong story. 

I use to buy Zeppelin boots. I was too young to see Zeppelin live. When they broke up in 1980 I was 9 years old. My first purchase was (destroyer 1977) I was not impressed with the sound quality. Plus the performance was not up to Zeppelin standers. Next I bought Zeppelin 1980 Berlin concert. I was disappointed in the sound quality again. So for a long time feeling like I been suckered I stop buying Zeppelin Boots. Then I joined this web sight, and had to satisfy my craving for some raw zeppelin music. I bought Listen to this Eddie in Hong Kong. It kicked my ass. I was Amazed from the start. Bonham drumming on the Song remains the Same. I did not think that was humanly possible to drum like that. My Chinese neighbors hate me. Though I do not mind. Zeppelin to me is by far the best band that ever walked the earth. Thank you guys for all the information on good live Zeppelin to buy.      

I want to say thanks again for the releasing of this show Mr. Bauer:) You could have gone to EVSD and had them release this as the Erik show and made a few grand in the process. . You showed class in the way this was handled and knowing how the boot community can be a pack of wolves you took the time and had the patience to get it done right and to release it for free to us who just love the music. . The finished product was very well done and your status updates assured us that you were indeed doing it for the fans BY A FAN. . I salute you sir (and if youre holding another show dont wait another 40 years:):P:thumbsup:

I could have made how much?..... On second thought.  No way!  I truly hope that no one ever pays for this.  A long time friend of mine, Kevin "Mel" Thoman of the Newport Wedge crew has a saying (which I'm probably butchering) of "Pass the stoke along". That's what I kept thinking throughout this process. I've had the stoke of listening to this for 40 years. Way past time to pass the stoke along!

Gary, I just want to thank you not only for sharing the tape but for being a true stand-up guy in the way you've handled this whole thing. In the underground world of bootleg recordings, Zeppelin fans can be like a pack of wild dogs sometimes, but the way you went about informing us and transferring your tape should be used as an example for anyone else who has an unheard recording in their possession. I've seen some people who hoard their tapes and like to rub it in people's faces that they will never get to hear them. I've seen others who tease us with their tapes but then never follow through or else behave like an ass. But you kept us informed and have been so nice during this entire process. You've instantly become a legend in the Zeppelin underground and I'm sure your tape will be enjoyed by many for years to come! :)

By the way, pay no mind to that asshole over on the Royal Orleans thread. I don't know what his problem is, but I hope it doesn't sour you on the Zeppelin community as a whole. The vast majority of people I've encountered here are intelligent, thoughtful, and decent. Sure we all have our moments and there are a few (who shall remain nameless) who are a bit...difficult, but I think I speak for 99% of everyone here when I say that we are eternally grateful for you releasing your tape to the world!

Just to say thanks so much for taping this source and sharing it with the world. I'm listening to the pitch-corrected master on Youtube right now and while LTTE will always be my go-to for this show because of instrumental clarity, I really am loving this recording, the atmosphere is amazing, feels like one is right there in the seat.

Archived