What next? AGAIN

JAP

Looks like we are expecting some live zeppelin recordings as releases for the 50th and not expecting any further live performances by the band.

2007 seemed more like a return than a fair well and with the remasters building on the tension The question of “what next” seems likely to continue to be asked.

But where is the bookend?

What would be the right way to draw it to a close? Not that I want it to ever end but you know...

I allways liked what Jeff Lynn did with the remaining Beatles on “free as a bird” and “real love” .

Maybe some drums tracks remain . Perhaps somethings could be finished off. Maybe something new, an EP of sorts.

Anyone who thought the 2007 reunion portended a return was a clueless fool not paying attention to the facts and letting their rosy-eyed hippie dreams get in the way of reality.

The "bookend" was the 2007 Ahmet Ertegun show. Be grateful you got that.

This has all hashed over to death already. There are plenty of other threads....and if you want to discuss the 50th anniversary and what that may or may not portend, there is a "50th Anniversary" thread in the News Section of the Forum.

For me, Page dying would bookend it, as he had been the torchbearer for the band since its demise and the force behind posthumous releases.

But you could say the O2 was the bookend really.

Page has intimated the studio vaults are pretty much dry after the companion discs, so fans are hoping, not "expecting", that we might get some more live releases instead.

Bootlegs will continue to trickle out, and as the remaining members get closer to 80 , their public activity will subside.

It will be a slow tail off, rather than a defining event that will mark closure. Bar Page dying.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

Anyone who thought the 2007 reunion portended a return was a clueless fool not paying attention to the facts and letting their rosy-eyed hippie dreams get in the way of reality.

This has all hashed over to death already. There are plenty of other threads....and if you want to discuss the 50th anniversary and what that may or may not portend, there is a "50th Anniversary" thread in the News Section of the Forum.

Yup...

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Yes I know

but what I’m trying to say and not very well is that despite 2007 obviously being the last show  it did start a whole load of people asking for more and lots still are even a decade later. Then came the studio stuff and now what looks like more live stuff. So rather than finishing it off it seems to me 2007 unleashed it again given all the constant speculation.

i think boleskinner Sums it up well. Sad event or slow tail off. 

I suggested a “free as bird” type effort like the Beatles in the hope of getting totally trolled to death on this forum. 

1 hour ago, JAP said:

I suggested a “free as bird” type effort like the Beatles in the hope of getting totally trolled to death on this forum. 

Jimmy did this way back in 1990 by the blending Bonzo's Montreux with Moby Dick. Additionally, Jimmy has already said the recent remasters campaign would be the last Led Zeppelin studio releases. Free As A Bird worked for The Beatles in that it was an unreleased John Lennon solo demo from 1977 that the surviving members expanded upon and they had never reunited after breaking up. I can't see the surviving members of Led Zeppelin doing something similar with a John Bonham outtake, assuming one even exists. I mean it's a bit hokey, don't you think? We have already had umpteen tribute bands over the past four decades, Page/Plant, JBLZE etc. I mean good grief, just let it go already. Jimmy will be putting a live release out there next summer and that'll truly be it. They'll never perform together again and it's over.       

13 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Jimmy did this way back in 1990 by the blending Bonzo's Montreux with Moby Dick. Additionally, Jimmy has already said the recent remasters campaign would be the last Led Zeppelin studio releases. Free As A Bird worked for The Beatles in that it was an unreleased John Lennon solo demo from 1977 that the surviving members expanded upon and they had never reunited after breaking up. I can't see the surviving members of Led Zeppelin doing something similar with a John Bonham outtake, assuming one even exists. I mean it's a bit hokey, don't you think? We have already had umpteen tribute bands over the past four decades, Page/Plant, JBLZE etc. I mean good grief, just let it go already. Jimmy will be putting a live release out there next summer and that'll truly be it. They'll never perform together again and it's over.       

What’s your money on the live release being Steve?

29 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Some might say the free as bird thing was hokey. Which it probably was! I guess it depends how it could be framed. Something new or half new would be the only thing not done but it’s probably the least likely so...

I think you’re right. The next release could very well be the last activity we see

we've had the concert!

the studio vaults are clear?

Last few live tapes are next?

and that’s it.......50 years is quite a nice note to end on. 

I’m sure the led Zeppelin forum will rumble on for a very long time beyond though!

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

There is one isolated drum track from the ITTOD sessions doing the rounds on YouTube etc. that doesn't fit with anything that's been released so far.
But I agree - they won't touch it with a barge pole.  If the song wasn't finished at the time, there must have been a pretty good reason - most likely it just wasn't up to snuff or one of them didn't like it enough to contribute.
Free As A Bird was awful really.  It was a nice idea, in that it got all three surviving Beatles to work together again briefly, but it didn't add anything to the existing catalogue and the sound quality of the demo (from cassette tape I think) was very poor.

When RP stops performing the songs albeit in interesting ways, then that’s when it really has come to an end, for me any way. I’m guessing he won’t stop doing that until he actually stops performing altogether

If you want to expand the "bookend" idea even further down the timeline, then I guess you could consider 2013-14, when Jimmy Page began remastering the catalogue with companion discs and even more importantly, Godfatherecords put out that essential 18-disc "Studio Magik 1968-1980" box set. THAT'S your bookend right there, as far as studio stuff goes. That's more like what the companion discs on the remasters should have been.

The Godfatherecords box is Led Zeppelin's equivalent to The Beatles Anthology set.

There will always be more live stuff that trickles out eventually, officially and unofficially, whether it's upgrades or totally new shows pried from the hoarders' hands.

But a full-on reunion farewell gig or tour? Don't bet on it.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

If you want to expand the "bookend" idea even further down the timeline, then I guess you could consider 2013-14, when Jimmy Page began remastering the catalogue with companion discs and even more importantly, Godfatherecords put out that essential 18-disc "Studio Magik 1968-1980" box set. THAT'S your bookend right there, as far as studio stuff goes. That's more like what the companion discs on the remasters should have been.

The Godfatherecords box is Led Zeppelin's equivalent to The Beatles Anthology set.

There will always be more live stuff that trickles out eventually, officially and unofficially, whether it's upgrades or totally new shows pried from the hoarders' hands.

But a full-on reunion farewell gig or tour? Don't bet on it.

Yes, I agree... although I dont think anyone expected St Tristan's Sword or Carrot Celery, Pea Pod medley. Did Jimmy pointedly say no more unheard studio material exists, or will surface? 

Most diehard fans would eagerly welcome a live show or even a compilation. My list would be Japan 71, Earls Court, LA '77 (prob no multi tracks??) or Copenhagen Warm Ups. I just don't know if the powers at be think there are enough die hard fans to warrant another live release. I would think k so , but...🤔

3 hours ago, porgie66 said:

Did Jimmy pointedly say no more unheard studio material exists, or will surface? 

He clearly stated multiple times during promotional duties for the most recent remasters campaign that there would be no further studio releases. 

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

He clearly stated multiple times during promotional duties for the most recent remasters campaign that there would be no further studio releases. 

Dig it, well....live release it will be then. 

7 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Didn’t he say that at the time of Coda’s release as well?  

2 hours ago, babysquid said:

Didn’t he say that at the time of Coda’s release as well?  

Not that I recall. Given Coda completed the band's contractual obligations, and no one knew that something called the compact disc would come along to revolutionize the industry, there was little reason to believe there'd be another one. 

30 minutes ago, GeorgeC said:

I think I've posted this satirical blog post here before, but it may be relevant in this discussion:

Future Zeppelin releases?

Hehe, I think the 2045 DNA that replicates the members for you at home is the best and a huge responsibility!

How would you present musical influences to them, what would you give them to listen and what not if they would grow from infancy, of course you should allow them freedom but I would at least try to present to them all I know they listened to originally and I wouldn't make Robert move out of the house at certain point even if he wouldn't want to be a musician!

7 hours ago, SamoKodela said:

Hehe, I think the 2045 DNA that replicates the members for you at home is the best and a huge responsibility!

How would you present musical influences to them, what would you give them to listen and what not if they would grow from infancy, of course you should allow them freedom but I would at least try to present to them all I know they listened to originally and I wouldn't make Robert move out of the house at certain point even if he wouldn't want to be a musician!

The Sims 2017: the Zeppelin edition!

Archived