Watched entire video of Aug. 11, '79 Knebworth Show This Week

Tony Harden

To say I loved it is a shameful understatement.  I have been in a funk lately over things going on and I think this video and this show was honestly good for the soul for me.

Misty Mountain Hop still rocked despite amplifier troubles!  Woah!  I always love Misty Mountain live.

The highlights of this show were many.  Too many to even try to name them all.

I think the greatest moment of the show for me was Achilles Last Stand.  Achilles rocked, as always and I enjoyed the song.  What I enjoyed the most about the song was that the band was into it.  LZ was rocking to this one just as much as anybody in the crowd was.  It did me good and almost brought a tear to see them having so much fun while showing why they were indeed the biggest and most powerful rock band in the world.

It's almost Thanksgiving in the USA and I am going to ask a favor of the board - and this is something that I have never done before.  Please be happy for me.  Watching this show was honestly good for the soul for me.

Hey I am happy for you , truly.  Zep is a always around for the holidays for me ( Sinatra also ).

I am in the US also and frankly Pagey stunk up the show. However , there were moments aside from any lead solo , where he is as good as 1977.  He is rail thin and trust me whenever he breaks out a cigarette while playing, he is usually stoned out. Take a look at photos from 1977 tour except in Pontiac when Jimmy is out of it smoking and just playing completely disjointed solos like he just picked up the guitar 5 years prior.  Thanks to the rhythm section in Knebworth for carrying him . Plant seemed uncomfortable during both shows not showing the warmest he did at EC in 1975. He was only 2 years past the loss of his son Karac along with the recording of ITTOD which had studio tension. 

The warmup shows in Copenhagen school these shows. Jimmy tends to get nervous in big media driven shows even in 2007. Copenhagen was low key with no press. The band is tight but loose. 

Getting back to Knebworth. One needs to hear the sound with a heavy bottom so Jimmy's soloing is guarded. He struggles as if his fingers are glued together. 

Not a great show but I can understand the nostalgia. 

Happy Holiday 

Glad it cheered you up.

Kashmir, Black Dog and the revamped WLL are really good from the 11th. 

Jimmy is very shaky in the rest. 

Unfortunately the 11th video was the first to be leaked in the 1990s, and the 4th video wouldn't surface for many years.

So the 11th is the full show most people have seen.

I agree on Plant's demeanour. Up until 1975 he still believed in the whole Zeppelin "thing" and lived it on stage.

After 75, post injury and then the tragedy with his son, he naturally had a different perspective on things.

His on-stage persona became more tongue and cheek and self-deprecating. Almost like he was on the outside looking in.

3 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I'd add Communication Breakdown to that list as well. They really seemed to go all out for that encore.

Hell yes, everyone smoked on this. Jimmy was jamming his ass off and Robert, horse as hell, simply pushed it for all it was worth. This is one of my favorite live versions of this song. Just like Berlin a year later, a shaky show which ended with the greatest Whole Lotta Love of their career.

You guys may disagree on this. I think there were a handful of good live tunes played at Knebworth. On both shows. 

I think Zeppelin came back with raw power during their tour over Europe. No thrills, or long sloppy solos, just plain hard raw Zeppelin. The energy was their, on most of their shows. I know that it gave Plant some renewed fondness of being in Zeppelin. Believe me I do enjoy the Zeppelin Knebworth concerts, but some of the songs seem bloated and outdated for 1979. Led Zeppelin 1980 concerts were something to witness. I just wish I could've. 

1 hour ago, Black_dog_boogie said:

You guys may disagree on this. I think there were a handful of good live tunes played at Knebworth. On both shows. 

I think Zeppelin came back with raw power during their tour over Europe. No thrills, or long sloppy solos, just plain hard raw Zeppelin. The energy was their, on most of their shows. I know that it gave Plant some renewed fondness of being in Zeppelin. Believe me I do enjoy the Zeppelin Knebworth concerts, but some of the songs seem bloated and outdated for 1979. Led Zeppelin 1980 concerts were something to witness. I just wish I could've. 

The inclusion of Black Mountain Side/White Summer gave many a punter, me included, the chance to go for a piss.:D

2 minutes ago, chillumpuffer said:

The inclusion of Black Mountain Side/White Summer gave many a punter, me included, the chance to go for a piss.:D

You’re obviously more civilised over in Manchester. At a Pearl Jam gig in 2009 I got my wife to stand in front of me while I pissed in a plastic glass and put it on the floor. She was not happy later on when she knocked it over in her open top shoes 

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

You’re obviously more civilised over in Manchester. At a Pearl Jam gig in 2009 I got my wife to stand in front of me while I pissed in a plastic glass and put it on the floor. She was not happy later on when she knocked it over in her open top shoes 

Ha great story. I have a "number 2" tale at Glastonbury but it is too painful to resurrect.

I kinda feel the same. The Knebworth shows have a certain charm, even though the cork-sniffers wanna pick them apart. I think Plant sounds better than at EC 75. Page is only slightly worse. Bonham is more energetic at knebworth. 

Seattle 77 is a dud in my opinion. Plant was horrible and Page was as bad as Knebworth. Bonham was on fire for that show though.

Archived