What, if anything, do we know about the 72, 73, and 75 Seattle AUD tapes?

ZepHead315

So I had a thought recently about the tapes of three of the Seattle shows (6/18/72, 7/17/73, and 3/21/75). All three start off with a stage announcement, usually telling the crowd not to set off any firecrackers or such. This is highly unusual since most audience tapes either start right when the band takes the stage, or cut in the middle of the set. All three are great sounding tapes too. Given these similar unique characteristics, it seems a distinct possibility that all three were taped by the same person. Do we know any information about these tapes (ie. the equipment used, how they first popped up, etc.)? I read on Argenteum Astrum that the main audience source for 3/21/75 was taped from the back of the arena on top of a stack of folding chairs, but I haven't found any additional info. What about the taper(s)? We know of Millard, Artie, and Freezer among others, but do we know anything about who taped these shows?

10 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

So I had a thought recently about the tapes of three of the Seattle shows (6/18/72, 7/17/73, and 3/21/75). All three start off with a stage announcement, usually telling the crowd not to set off any firecrackers or such. This is highly unusual since most audience tapes either start right when the band takes the stage, or cut in the middle of the set. All three are great sounding tapes too. Given these similar unique characteristics, it seems a distinct possibility that all three were taped by the same person. Do we know any information about these tapes (ie. the equipment used, how they first popped up, etc.)? I read on Argenteum Astrum that the main audience source for 3/21/75 was taped from the back of the arena on top of a stack of folding chairs, but I haven't found any additional info. What about the taper(s)? We know of Millard, Artie, and Freezer among others, but do we know anything about who taped these shows?

The full taper's story from the March 21 1975 show was featured in Proximity (April 1995). I recall Hugh interviewed the chap responsible for the very good/exc. AUD tape from first 2/3 of the show. The taper is referred to as 'Mr.Supersonic'. He used a Tandberg mono reel to reel deck with an external mic. After he got in, he installed his gear on a pile of chairs -not in the back of the arena, but rather on the balcony, - and enjoyed the show. Sadly, except for the 17th no mentions on any of the other legendary Seattle shows from 72 and 73 however.

23 hours ago, duckman said:

The full taper's story from the March 21 1975 show was featured in Proximity (April 1995). I recall Hugh interviewed the chap responsible for the very good/exc. AUD tape from first 2/3 of the show. The taper is referred to as 'Mr.Supersonic'. He used a Tandberg mono reel to reel deck with an external mic. After he got in, he installed his gear on a pile of chairs -not in the back of the arena, but rather on the balcony, - and enjoyed the show. Sadly, except for the 17th no mentions on any of the other legendary Seattle shows from 72 and 73 however.

I thought Kenny G's brother, Stan Gorelick taped at least one of the 72 shows(the better sounding first night) and one of the two audience tapes from 73 was his as well. ?? 

Seattle Stan Gutowski taped the complete 1973 source and the high quality sources of 3/17/75 and 3/21/75.   He was an awesome early taper of Zeppelin.  

He was late to the show because of a car accident on 3/17/75 and missed the first 4 songs.  

I’m not 100% certain if he did the 6/18/72 recording or not.  I do know it was recorded to just test out the gear and the taper just hit record and when side A ran out that was it.   He didn’t bother to record any more of the show. 

On 11/26/2017 at 3:53 AM, duckman said:

7 hours ago, Sticks of Fire said:

Seattle Stan Gutowski taped the complete 1973 source and the high quality sources of 3/17/75 and 3/21/75.   He was an awesome early taper of Zeppelin.  

He was late to the show because of a car accident on 3/17/75 and missed the first 4 songs.  

I’m not 100% certain if he did the 6/18/72 recording or not.  I do know it was recorded to just test out the gear and the taper just hit record and when side A ran out that was it.   He didn’t bother to record any more of the show. 

Interesting. So I'm assuming Stan Gutowski is the "Mr. Supersonic" that duckman referenced above? Or did he tape the other AUD source for 3/21? If not, why did he decide to leave his equipment behind? I mean, I get wanting to just enjoy the show, but it seems odd given his prior habits. That's also interesting how the taper for 6/18/72 was just testing his equipment. A shame he didn't record the show the following night. Now THAT would have been incredible! It would make sense for Stan to have taped that show though, since it fits with the other recordings (starting off with an announcement, etc.) Any particular reason why he always recorded the announcements prior to the actual show? And how did his recordings surface? This is fascinating stuff.

19 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I thought Kenny G's brother, Stan Gorelick taped at least one of the 72 shows(the better sounding first night) and one of the two audience tapes from 73 was his as well. ?? 

Holy crap. That's awesome if true! Can anyone confirm this?

Archived