Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Recommended Posts

I recently made a post about the song and the hotel Royal Orleans.  The posts were all so great that I wanted to make a post on the whole Presence album/CD.

I love Presence.

My least favorite cut from the album would be Candy Store Rock.  I am not knocking Candy Store Rock but I like all of the others more.  I will say that I much more prefer Candy Store Rock to the studio versions of some of the songs from III.

Achilles is my favorite song from the album and that's probably not too big of a surprise.  Achilles is among the hardest tracks the band ever did and it also showcases the whole band's talents.

I have already said how I feel about Royal Orleans in my last post.  (Great song.  Should've been performed live.)

The big surprise at the Celebration Day Concert in Dec. 07 was when they performed For Your Life.  When the show was released I had people telling me how surprised and shocked they were at how good this song was.  I wasn't.  I was headbanging to For Your Life twenty plus years earlier.

Nobody's Fault But Mine is true Led Zeppelin!  If they weren't going to show off but two of the tracks from Presence then it would have been a crime for this not to have been one of them.

People brought up Hots On For Nowhere.  Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  I could never listen to Hots On For Nowhere because I can't listen to this song without head banging - not a pretty sight.     

Tea For One always takes me on a journey.  Achilles might be my favorite track from Presence but Tea For One is the deepest track on Presence; and they were correst in making it the album's closer.  Tea For One always has sort of an anesthetic effect on me but yet it certainly doesn't put me to sleep.  This should have been done live but at the same time I would have wanted them to keep it fairly close to the studio version, as they always did with: Kashmir, The Rain Song, and Stairway.

I guess the '77 tour was supposed to be the Presence tour.  I have never understood why they didn't showcase more of Presence on the '77 tour.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tony Harden said:

I recently made a post about the song and the hotel Royal Orleans.  The posts were all so great that I wanted to make a post on the whole Presence album/CD.

I love Presence.

My least favorite cut from the album would be Candy Store Rock.  I am not knocking Candy Store Rock but I like all of the others more.  I will say that I much more prefer Candy Store Rock to the studio versions of some of the songs from III.

Achilles is my favorite song from the album and that's probably not too big of a surprise.  Achilles is among the hardest tracks the band ever did and it also showcases the whole band's talents.

I have already said how I feel about Royal Orleans in my last post.  (Great song.  Should've been performed live.)

The big surprise at the Celebration Day Concert in Dec. 07 was when they performed For Your Life.  When the show was released I had people telling me how surprised and shocked they were at how good this song was.  I wasn't.  I was headbanging to For Your Life twenty plus years earlier.

Nobody's Fault But Mine is true Led Zeppelin!  If they weren't going to show off but two of the tracks from Presence then it would have been a crime for this not to have been one of them.

People brought up Hots On For Nowhere.  Yes!  Yes!  Yes!  I could never listen to Hots On For Nowhere - in public - because I can't listen to this song without head banging - not a pretty sight.     

Tea For One always takes me on a journey.  Achilles might be my favorite track from Presence but Tea For One is the deepest track on Presence; and they were correst in making it the album's closer.  Tea For One always has sort of an anesthetic effect on me but yet it certainly doesn't put me to sleep.  This should have been done live but at the same time I would have wanted them to keep it fairly close to the studio version, as they always did with: Kashmir, The Rain Song, and Stairway.

I guess the '77 tour was supposed to be the Presence tour.  I have never understood why they didn't showcase more of Presence on the '77 tour.

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I think Jimmy was doing some unusual EQ settings on parts and whole songs. HOFN has so many overdubs and 

sudden EQ spikes, even today I have not really heard almost any guitarist do that live., to suddenly ramp up the midrange,dip the bass, and at the same time have high notes suddenly go from muted to shrill, and back. There is no

pedal for this. NFBM has none of this, or very little, so there isn't much challenge to do the song live. RO certainly

could be done, but even this song has sudden EQ shifts so some of the song would have to be adapted for live.

Actually, Dancing Days is probably a clearer example of what I mean to say; live certain parts were just not easily

replicated,  probably why the song was only done in 72'-73'. For Your Love was cool at 07', but even this song Jimmy

couldn't mix all the guitars together. Presence is high up there for me as well, at that time no one was doing the guitar

orchestra's like Jimmy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Well I think Jimmy was doing some unusual EQ settings on parts and whole songs. HOFN has so many overdubs and 

sudden EQ spikes, even today I have not really heard almost any guitarist do that live., to suddenly ramp up the midrange,dip the bass, and at the same time have high notes suddenly go from muted to shrill, and back. There is no pedal for this. NFBM has none of this, or very little, so there isn't much challenge to do the song live. RO certainly

could be done, but even this song has sudden EQ shifts so some of the song would have to be adapted for live.

Actually, Dancing Days is probably a clearer example of what I mean to say; live certain parts were just not easily

replicated,  probably why the song was only done in 72'-73'. For Your Love was cool at 07', but even this song Jimmy

couldn't mix all the guitars together. Presence is high up there for me as well, at that time no one was doing the guitar

orchestra's like Jimmy.

:hysterical:

That is a fact!!! This album, for me, is like music in 3D. It paints an audio image and not just sound. It is music in technicolor & surround sound.

I have three friends who are classically trained musicians and this is their favorite Zep album. Presence, start to finish is a composition.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an amazing album of many guitar structures, orchestral guitar harmonies, great drums and amazing unpredictable changes in arrangements that at least in Hots on for nowhere can be very playful and fun and the chorus is also great even if it's just Lalala and the guitar sound is quite varied and the solo is in a way so simple and yet with such stunning technical approaches and sounds and tension and then the surprise at the end, when one of the most amazing Page riffs, where he finally really catches up with complexity of Jonesy's  Black dog and the Ocean, repeats itself again and then the powerful ending sound.

I think Page is amazingly innovative and creative with such a great amount of guitars and makes them sound unique and appropriate for the compositions and lack of Plant melodic involvement and acoustic guitars, keyboards and the bleak, powerful guitar sound that is there throughout the album makes it a very unique experience of Led Zeppelin's strongest sufferings and struggles.

My favourite moments are Bonham's two fast drum rolls in the first part of Achilles, one is extremely fast, then the first melodic guitar ovedubbs when you remember again what else will come, the fast parts of guitar solos and drums under them, the tense slower parts of the solo and the numerous harmonies over the main riff at the exit of the solo! Always though the guitars on the second part of the song should be thicker but it wouldn't fit the album sound!

The Four your life guitar section with the air between when Bonzo hits the bass drum twice, which Jason didn't do, is also great and the after solo section too, Royal Orleans is fun although it should be somehow more similar to Hot dog with more melody even if it's funk, but it has a great Hendrix like solo so it's good, Nobody's fault has great sounding intro, really fast drums that fit really well, they are all just so tightly together on all those well arranged parts and the harmonica solo shows how big Robert's lungs must be, he is a tall well build guy sure, Candy store rock is weird rockabilly sort of thing and Tea for one is of all compositions the most exactly like it should be, the lenght, the slow solos, relatively low volume and a bleak melody are exactly what this song needs! It also reminds me how emotionally resonant this kind of complicated, loud, technical music can be and that you should always listen to it that way too!

It's a special journey for lovers of complicated guitar passages with lots of energy and resilience too life troubles and with no distractions from anything remotely pop music like! This is what Zeppelin was all about really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, and much of what was commented showed how Jimmy was being expressionalistic and artichectural often in the

same song. Jimmy is a sound sculptor, not just a riff machine. There are Zep songs which are almost mathematical in

their structure, and songs which have a sort of amoeba like element. Like Achillies is pretty mathematical in its precision,

yet there are quite a few parts that have a fluid and bleeding quality as well. So many rock guitarists never get even close

to what Page was doing in the 70's and Presence. Jimmy was trying IMHO to evoke music which had such strong moods

or layers of symetries  which went way beyond just riffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the vocals were too soft on Candy Store Rock. I like to imagine Plant still having his high range for this. I think that would've made it way more interesting.

HOFN is the third best track on the album to me. Very catchy and upbeat. Tea For One is tied with Carouseumbrella for least listened to song.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I think the vocals were too soft on Candy Store Rock. I like to imagine Plant still having his high range for this. I think that would've made it way more interesting.

HOFN is the third best track on the album to me. Very catchy and upbeat. Tea For One is tied with Carouseumbrella for least listened to song.

Different strokes for different folks. My top 10  zep songs (which is kind of fluid and in no order)  has Achilles, Nobodys fault, Tea for One, and For your life, all of these are on Presence.  But we are both into Zep enough to join this forum! I think thats cool.  I despise the last few minutes of Carouselambra but the first several minutes are pretty good. And to the OP, Presence is my all time favorite Zep album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presence is one of my favorite Zep albums, if only for Achilles (a tour de force!) and Nobody's Fault But Mine. Can I admit here that Tea For One is the only and I mean ONLY Zep song that I dislike? I already debated the various merits of it with some folks on another thread. Everything else on that album is pure, awesome Zep; you cannot pigeonhole them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horses for courses I guess. But I love Tea for One. I think it’s a cracking song

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Tea For One is one of the best things Led Zeppelin ever done.

The whole LP is great really, it's probably the studio album I play the most in the house these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Each to their own, but it's a snore-fest for me.

Like SIBLY grew up and got depressed.

Only bit I really like is the opening riff in the weird time signature.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2017 at 5:31 AM, Boleskinner said:

 

Only bit I really like is the opening riff in the weird time signature.

In my head I keep wanting that riff to come back in as the chorus or something. That would've been an awesome groove for Page and Bonzo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/7/2017 at 3:09 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

In my head I keep wanting that riff to come back in as the chorus or something. That would've been an awesome groove for Page and Bonzo.

Yes, agreed! It starts off great, I wish they would have worked that opening riff back in somewhere a few times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that opening riff is something in itself. I think the band could have come back to it, or play a variation of it later in

the song.. Maybe some don't like TFO because it is mainly a brooding song. SIBLY is slow blues too but there is much

more emotional variation in it or moods. TFO is basically I'm stuck here in this situation, I just have to deal with it, nowhere

to run or hide.. But that is my view on the music and  lyrics, others opinions may differ. Overall great album, at the time

Jimmy really was gold standard as far as imaginative guitar wizards go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Presence is certainly a favouite of mine. Achilles is my all time favourite Zep track. First time I heard it I was astounded and I have been ever since.

I also really like For Your Life too and Candy Store Rock is definetly a guilty pleasure.

Yea For One is like a forgotten masterpiece IMO. Yeah I know it strays too close to SIBLY for some but I love it still. It perfectly demonstrates the agony of Plant and co at the time into a song.

Edited by johnlennon696

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's interesting about Presence is at least where I live, It was the first Zep album to be discounted. Of course Coda 

quickly was discounted as well. I think that live because Zep only played Achilles and NFBM, that may have limited

it's exposure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×