Zeppelin's official live recordings

Black_dog_boogie

As a huge fan of Zeppelin, I began to understand that Zeppelin relevance lays in their awesome live shows that have become stuffs of Legends. I know some of these so called "special shows" have circulated between collectors, bootleggers, audio techies. What ever you want to call them. My question is this. How come Jimmy who owns the majority rights to Zeppelins catalog (what I am assuming would include live shows) still have not done a box set of Zeppelin 71-80 best of live shows.) Using the best of the best bootlegs, live in vault stuff( the recordings that Kevin Shirley) said was "not very good." asked during a rolling stones interview. What I've read on this form is that their is some great live recordings that can be "adjusted" to sound awesome on a home stereo. I guess I am still hungry for the raw live power of Zeppelin, done to the quality sound Page would be proud of.  

3 hours ago, Black_dog_boogie said:

As a huge fan of Zeppelin, I began to understand that Zeppelin relevance lays in their awesome live shows that have become stuffs of Legends. I know some of these so called "special shows" have circulated between collectors, bootleggers, audio techies. What ever you want to call them. My question is this. How come Jimmy who owns the majority rights to Zeppelins catalog (what I am assuming would include live shows) still have not done a box set of Zeppelin 71-80 best of live shows.) Using the best of the best bootlegs, live in vault stuff( the recordings that Kevin Shirley) said was "not very good." asked during a rolling stones interview. What I've read on this form is that their is some great live recordings that can be "adjusted" to sound awesome on a home stereo. I guess I am still hungry for the raw live power of Zeppelin, done to the quality sound Page would be proud of.  

It will emerge. Either Jimmy will bite the bullet and go for a release or two, or, many years from now once they are all gone and the estate becomes managed by others, there will be live releases.

If not, the boots will just keep on rolling out. Hopefully gradually getting better and better. Hopefully occasionally completely surprising the Zep community.

I believe the technology exists which can take a real piece of shit recording (aud or soundboard or matrix) and essentially make it sound like an official release due to a particular algorithm which by using existing official releases as a benchmark, can fill in pretty much exactly how the shit recording would sound if recoded professionally. Of course in doing so it is essentially a Frankenstein creation as the algorithm will mimic and replace where necessary.

Yeah, so if done right, we could have LTTE kinda gigs in a clarity that is almost beyond belief. And while it may have some anomalies, or be somewhat of a "representation" rather than a pure recording, with time, this could be (at least to me) the greatest thing ever. Maybe sounding so authentic you can't really tell unless you are pretty freakishly good with sound.

The sad truth is, Jimmy was pretty cheap.   Recording live shows back in the 60s and 70s was costly.   He just didn’t record a lot of shows.  

Zep did what, 300-400 shows in their lifetime.  Jimmy multi tracked 20 or less.  

I bet bet you anything that is one of Jimmys few regrets, if he has any at all.

its a shame that their true live peak 70-71 isn’t really represented.  Here’s hopin for Japan 1971 release ! 

It' s amazing and sad that Zeppelin cared so little about their live concert history in recording and documenting so very little of their shows.  To only have proper video of RAH, EC, and Knebworth in 11 years is such a shame

35 minutes ago, drpete said:

It' s amazing and sad that Zeppelin cared so little about their live concert history in recording and documenting so very little of their shows.  To only have proper video of RAH, EC, and Knebworth in 11 years is such a shame

You have forgot The Song Remains The Same of course.

EC was a feed for the Punters at the back could see. Knebworth was filmed for a future release but I assume all parties agreed that it it wasn't good enough

Always amazed me also how little live stuff was recorded and/or filmed. Having said that Zeppelin were not exactly great every night which is maybe why we haven't seen official stuff from JP.

8 hours ago, rm2551 said:

Yeah, so if done right, we could have LTTE kinda gigs in a clarity that is almost beyond belief. And while it may have some anomalies, or be somewhat of a "representation" rather than a pure recording, with time, this could be (at least to me) the greatest thing ever. Maybe sounding so authentic you can't really tell unless you are pretty freakishly good with sound.

Not if your going off an audience source from a portable tape machine you can't. You can EQ it to make it louder and more bassy/trebley but to make it super clear, even in today's digital world, you still have the masters to work with and they would be 40 odd years old. Let's face it 1972 it isn't.

Imagine what Martin Birch would have done in Japan in 1971/2? Deep Purple's Made in Japan is one of, if not THE best sounding albums of the modern era. Why JP missed that kind of Multi tracked opportunity is beyond belief

2 hours ago, drpete said:

How can you omit TSRTS? Anyways, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Take, for example...ZZ Top. They were one of the biggest and best bands throughout the 70's and they multi tracked 'one' show in '74 that culminated into only 3 live songs for the first side of their Fandango album, second half was studio tracks. Thats ZZ Tops only live multi tracked audio we have from the 70's. There is literally zero video of ZZ Top in the 70's aside from about 4 mins of the end of their '77 show in Houston on new years eve, and another 3 mins of Chevrolet in '76. That adds up to a whole 7 minutes of ZZ Tops entire amazing run through the 1970's that to this day is available for viewing. In comparison, Zeppelin fans have it pretty damn good. B)

15 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

How can you omit TSRTS? Anyways, it could have been a hell of a lot worse. Take, for example...ZZ Top. They were one of the biggest and best bands throughout the 70's and they multi tracked 'one' show in '74 that culminated into only 3 live songs for the first side of their Fandango album, second half was studio tracks. Thats ZZ Tops only live multi tracked audio we have from the 70's. There is literally zero video of ZZ Top in the 70's aside from about 4 mins of the end of their '77 show in Houston on new years eve, and another 3 mins of Chevrolet in '76. That adds up to a whole 7 minutes of ZZ Tops entire amazing run through the 1970's that to this day is available for viewing. In comparison, Zeppelin fans have it pretty damn good. B)

But what a 3 songs they are. Right up there with some of the best sounding music you will here. Where is the rest of the show?

Jimmy being cheap, absolutely. Jimmy was probably cheap in the studio as well,probably taping over alternative arrangements . For a guitarist like Jimmy who is a guitar orchestrator, ,I found the companions really bare.

Anyway the lack of pro official live Zep is unfortunate. However, when Jimmy cleans up the live stuff(mainly HTWWW)

despite great performances, Jimmy IMO does so much sonic surgery that the end result is neither fish nor fowl.

TSRTS is not too bad, but that's also because for example on that tour, Jimmy at times played solos that were even

better than anything in the movie, so for all the awareness of the soundtrack being patched together, again Jimmy

played stuff much better than what's in the movie. In that case, it doesn't matter, there was amazing music going on

anyway.

Archived