Chris Squire Rumours

Mook

1 hour ago, bluecongo said:

This is one of the most pointless meaningless threads ever.

In my defence, it's got people talking although it was more meant to stimulate discussion on the musical implications of them recruiting other people into the band rather than the 'Celebrity Death Match' thread it's turned into.

The comment about Squire knocking Bonham 'on his ass' has set the tone unfortunately & am more than happy for the thread to be deleted if people don't like it.

My old guitar teacher used to play in a local fusion band back in the late 80's/early 90's. He told me about the time Chris Squire "demanded" to sit in with the band. Long story short: Squire was "shit faced drunk"....it did not go well, but they weren't about to refuse a jam with a legend such as Squire, who would? 

35 minutes ago, blindwillie127 said:

My old guitar teacher used to play in a local fusion band back in the late 80's/early 90's. He told me about the time Chris Squire "demanded" to sit in with the band. Long story short: Squire was "shit faced drunk"....it did not go well, but they weren't about to refuse a jam with a legend such as Squire, who would? 

Impossible! Chris Squire is the consummate professional, just ask IpMan. 

7 hours ago, Mook said:

Wasn't Chris Squire a bit of a pisshead?

He probably would've been down the boozer with Bonham in his big glittery wizard jacket before rehearsals.

Same here.. I always got the impression that Chris and Rick Wakeman were the wild ones of Yes. 

Rick earlier on and Chris later. Chris handled Jimmy circa 1981, which couldn't have been much fun. 

A little off topic, but when Yes and Black Sabbath toured together in the early 70's, Wakeman would travel with the Sabbath guys because they were more fun.   

19 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Then your viewpoint is as simplistic and insufferably stupid as I suspected all along.

Oh ouch, Steve, that really hurt my feelings...well, no but it is nice to see you gettin your lather up over what if's and general nonsense.

Merry Christmas Steve-O, you sizzle chest barrel o' fun.:hysterical:

22 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

Squire was "shit faced drunk"....it did not go well, but they weren't about to refuse a jam with a legend such as Squire, who would? 

Yeah - look what happened to Mott The Hoople when they refused to let a shit-faced Bonzo get up and play on All The Young Dudes! :) 

What a thread. As some mentioned, Squire himself actually was somewhat of a party animal. In fact I'm pretty sure

from what I read and saw online, Chris gained a not small amount of weight from drinking. Plus, no one read the

article where Chris talks about XYZ,  how he and Jimmy took a lot of drugs at those sessions ?? It is true that Chris

never allowed any habits he had to compromise his playing. And Alan White(Yes drummer) said the XYZ project

wasn't a lark, it was a real attempt to forming a new band. Some of Jimmy's XYZ solos sound much more energetic

and interesting than the Firm. Not to be rude, but this thing with JPJ going to  keys, getting another new member

to play bass, this must have been something that was overheard by a non-member (Grant too) in a pub or

something. Jimmy in particular, he wouldn't ever want every song to have keys. This is in the Hoskins book ?

What page ?

Archived