Led Zeppelin rocker Robert Plant worth £100 MILLION gets £300 OAP winter fuel payment

zeplz71

Led Zeppelin rocker Robert Plant worth £100 MILLION gets £300 OAP winter fuel payment

FORMER Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant was left Dazed and Confused when he received his £300 winter fuel payment from the Government.

by Ciaran McGrath, Tue, Dec 5, 2017

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/888438/Led-Zeppelin-Robert-Plant-Baroness-Bakewell-Winter-fuel-payment

Plant is estimated to be worth £100million and  the 69-year-old rocker was so baffled by the handout - paid to pensioners to help them cope with winter fuel bills - that he even stopped Baroness Bakewell in the street to ask her about his Whole Lotta Cash, the peer told the House of Lords.

Baroness Bakewell, formerly know as TV presenter and journalist Joan Bakewell, explained: "He said, 'Joan, I've been sent £300 by the Government. Why?"

Arguing that the payment (actually likely to have been £200 rather than £300, give that the higher amount is only available to those over the age of 80) should be means-tested, the 84-year-old added that she herself had tried to send the money back when she first received it to no avail.

She added: "The Government spends £140 billion on old people."

"Six per cent of that goes on social care.

"This is bad economics and bad social care. Will the Government please sort it out.”

It's all a far cry for the heady days of Plant's youth as vocalist for the all-conquering Zeppelin, together with Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham.

Formed out of the wreckage of guitarist Page's previous band The Yardbirds in 1969, West-Bromwich-born Plant only got the job after Page's first choice, vocalist Terry Reid, turned it down, at which point Plant then recruited friend Bonham to play the drums.

Seizing his chance, Plant helped write many of the band's more famous songs, including Stairway to Heaven and Black Dog, as the band racked up in excess of 200 million in worldwide record sales and smashed numerous concert records, with Plant's high-pitched vocals a key reason for their success.

However, it all ended in tragedy in 1980 when Bonham was found dead in a bed at Page's house, having choked to death on his own vomit following a drinking session earlier in the day, and Led Zeppelin disbanded shortly afterwards.

Since then, the founding members have reunited on a handful of occasions most notably in 2007 at the 02 Arena for a one-off show in memory of music executive Ahmet Ertegun, with Bonham's son Jason playing the drums.

Plant, who was awarded a CBE for services in music in 2009, lives in Worcestershire, and is estimated to worth more than £100 million.

8 hours ago, bluecongo said:

Jimmy won’t complain about his check 😂😂😂

Hell no, he will make the argument as to why he should get the 300 instead of the 200 even though he is only 73.

Kinda like these ass-hat congress-people who get social security and veterans benefits (and disability as well in some cases) even though many are worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Plant is 100% right, these payments must be subject to means testing. If you are worth over 5 million, you get jack shit from the govt. except for Medicare.

1 minute ago, IpMan said:

Plant is 100% right, these payments must be subject to means testing. If you are worth over 5 million, you get jack shit from the govt. except for Medicare.

Ok, agreed. I would add to that if you spent your life oversleeping and not paying into the system you too receive jack shit for benefits.

2 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Ok, agreed. I would add to that if you spent your life oversleeping and not paying into the system you too receive jack shit for benefits.

You know Steve, I agree with this too, you have to give to get.

I am feeling all warm and fuzzy now...

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

In the UK - Not true. Everyone who is eligible, regardless whether you have worked or not, can get a state pension when you get to 66 - assuming your not in a box by then

Means testing the rich is never going to be on ANY agenda, especially for this Conservative bunch of low life's. Means test the poorest in society is the motto. Why give multi millionaires 2/300 notes for a heating allowance when many of them are not even here in the winter? Beyond madness. I cannot type my feelings of inequality in this country as it would contravene posting rules

Robert's argument is that he doesn't actually need the money, so why should he get the same payout as people who're skint?
Makes sense - til you realise that the government bureaucracy involved in setting up and administering a means-tested system would actually cost a lot more than just paying everyone.
Bit counter-intuitive, but this is actually the most cost-effective way of doing it. 
Apparently...

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

In the UK - Not true. Everyone who is eligible, regardless whether you have worked or not, can get a state pension when you get to 66 - assuming your not in a box by then

Means testing the rich is never going to be on ANY agenda, especially for this Conservative bunch of low life's. Means test the poorest in society is the motto. Why give multi millionaires 2/300 notes for a heating allowance when many of them are not even here in the winter? Beyond madness. I cannot type my feelings of inequality in this country as it would contravene posting rules

You may have misunderstood my post. I'm stating what should be, not what is. 

19 minutes ago, Brigante said:

the government bureaucracy involved in setting up and administering a means-tested system would actually cost a lot more than just paying everyone. Bit counter-intuitive, but this is actually the most cost-effective way of doing it. Apparently...

I would argue a means-tested system already exists. It's called taxation. So, for example, if a person's income tax statement shows an adjusted gross income of more than 100,000 GBP, they don't receive a voucher. It really is that simple. 

1 hour ago, chillumpuffer said:

It is simple and i did misunderstand you

I would actually say £50,000 is nearer the cut off mark but then of course you would get the whingeing rich bastards complaining that they are being victimised. 

Ok, we'll make it £50,000. Send anyone who complains to me and we'll get them sorted.

I chuckle that this message from Percy is conveyed to the House of Lords through the "thinking man's crumpet" Joan Bakewell. I'm sure Percy had a twinkle in his eye, "now Joan you won't forget to mention the winter fuel payment thing will you?" ;)

OT, I wonder if this is the first time Zeppelin have ever been mentioned in Hansard?!

8 minutes ago, 76229 said:

I chuckle that this message from Percy is conveyed to the House of Lords through the "thinking man's crumpet" Joan Bakewell. I'm sure Percy had a twinkle in his eye, "now Joan you won't forget to mention the winter fuel payment thing will you?" ;)

OT, I wonder if this is the first time Zeppelin have ever been mentioned in Hansard?!

He also "slipped" a CD in her - cough cough, letter box recently - according to an interview with Ms Bakewell in last Saturdays Guardian. She also taught at Mrs CP's old school.

Archived