Trentham Gardens '73 was Multi Tracked

blindwillie127

No extra overhead mics on the drums. No extra bass drum Mic and no extra mics on page and Jones speaker cabinets  means that a multitrack is very unlikely. It could be done without extra mics. Why would they not use extra mics  in stoke but use them in Southampton . An extra set of studio grade recording mics was standard practice  for zeppelin  when  pro recording concerts. It was a superior method given the equipment of the time.  Page being a led wallet he would not want to take any chances that the recording would get messed and the money be lost .  So recording without the extra mics  was probably not acceptable by pages standards.

One would think Page being so tight would have made sure his singer was in top form before spending the cash on a multi. In fact, I would think he would make sure everyone, including himself were in top form, a soundcheck performed, etc. before committing. I mean some of this is just silly when you think about it. Page would have known several hours before if Plant could sing well or not and then cancel the equipment and re-schedule. I dunno, maybe things were different back then and you had to give 48 hours to get your deposit back or whatever. Either way, the whole affair seems just a waste.

3 hours ago, IpMan said:

One would think Page being so tight would have made sure his singer was in top form before spending the cash on a multi. In fact, I would think he would make sure everyone, including himself were in top form, a soundcheck performed, etc. before committing. I mean some of this is just silly when you think about it. Page would have known several hours before if Plant could sing well or not and then cancel the equipment and re-schedule. I dunno, maybe things were different back then and you had to give 48 hours to get your deposit back or whatever. Either way, the whole affair seems just a waste.

The show at the Old Refectory wasn't even scheduled If you study the 72/73 tour itinary. Which leads me to believe Page saw  an opportunity to document at least one of their shows during the lengthiest UK tour they ever did. Maybe Ronnie Lane or Keith rang him and told him the mobile unit was available that night.

The refectory must have had    superior acoustics compared to venues like Alexandra Palace and the Gaumont. They did a soundcheck at the Gaumont, no? Anyway Percy was suffering from flu and his  voice was varying between mediocre and pretty good. So a hit and miss scenario occured. 

Archived