Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

On 14.1.2018 at 10:28 AM, the-ocean87 said:

Nice recording, but the delay on Plant's vocals sucks.

Well, don`t you worry about that, Plant used that excessive reverb effect for Black Dog only (plus in the Whole Lotta Love freak part), every other song will be fine. I am a little bit worried about the heavy noise reduction. EV should not cut the heights that strong- the recording would surely benefit from more cymbals, a biting guitarsound & an overall more lively sound. If they are only halfway smart, they will release 928 in the summer of the 50 anniversary, that would be a worthy celebration. With some great officially anniversary releases on the horizon, EV needs a heavy caliber like 928 as counterweight, precious few would dig just another of these 75 boards.......

3 minutes ago, Autumn Moon said:

Well, don`t you worry about that, Plant used that excessive reverb effect for Black Dog only (plus in the Whole Lotta Love freak part), every other song will be fine. I am a little bit worried about the heavy noise reduction. EV should not cut the heights that strong- the recording would surely benefit from more cymbals, a biting guitarsound & an overall more lively sound. If they are only halfway smart, they will release 928 in the summer of the 50 anniversary, that would be a worthy celebration. With some great officially anniversary releases on the horizon, EV needs a heavy caliber like 928 as counterweight, precious few would dig just another of these 75 boards.......

Yes, totally agree. 

Most likely osaka black dog is just a board but it just sounds so much better then the other 71 and 1973 boards which all have a similar sound. Could be an unpolished very quick rough multi track mixdown. Multitracks in their raw forum can be dry and quite dull but not as dull as a typical boardvtype and black dog is alot less dry then the other 3 71 boards. But that could be down to the festival hall being a smaller venue.

On 1/14/2018 at 4:24 PM, Adam Ryan watson said:

Kevin shirleys rough mixdown  tapes for Southampton and royal albert hall were leaked to evsd and released. I wonder if black dog from osaka is from a shirley mixdown or even Someone else's mixdown it sounds alot better and different from the other 71 boards. The other 71 boards are like the 73 boards muffled with pages guitar quite low in the mix which is a typical foh mix. Black dog has way more clarity with pages guitar much more prominent and all band members in perfect balance. It sounds better than even the best 75 boards. Black dog is not near as dry as a typical zeppelin s.b. multitrack mixdown tapes can have soundboard like dryness if it's a quick mixdown with out any processing and if the crowd mics and ambient Mic tracks are not mixed in

When I spoke with KS on Sirius XM last fall, JP was upset with him as the tapes were leaked (and he claims that he didn’t do that). That could explain why JP and KS haven’t spoken in 10 years.

R😎

14 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Most likely osaka black dog is just a board but it just sounds so much better then the other 71 and 1973 boards which all have a similar sound. Could be an unpolished very quick rough multi track mixdown. Multitracks in their raw forum can be dry and quite dull but not as dull as a typical boardvtype and black dog is alot less dry then the other 3 71 boards. But that could be down to the festival hall being a smaller venue.

If it was a multitrack I’d be surprised if they had printed the echo. You’d imagine they’d want to keep the vocal dry.

I have read that there were some issues with how the japan shows were recorded and the equipment was used. Peter Grant said they did not have a decent multi track machine to use  so they recorded the shows  on a six track solid state recording board at that point solid state recording gear was a newer thing and the early stuff was not that great. Tube boards were still the standard at that point. Also the Japanese audio engineers from Atlantic's Japanese division supposedly didn't record the shows very well and it's most likely they were just not used to recording live rock as loud as zeppelin. 6 tracks if that's true does not give you much to work with a mixdown. But all of that could be smoke and mirrors by page and grant to keep the record company from pestering jimmy about those tapes. 

1 hour ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

I remember reading a quote by plant about the 1971 japan tapes where he said everyone was disappointed with the sound quality and he said we have made better sounding recordings with an old revox recorder which is what they used to record the board tapes.

Yes, you are correct that in the past the band members and Peter Grant have made various comments all centering on the theme that the Japan tapes came out poorly.

However, the leaked "Black Dog" from Sep 28 '71 Osaka that came out in 2016 is in my view (and the view of some others) very possibly a rough multitrack mixdown, and while it doesn't have official-release sound quality "sheen" or polish to it, to my ears it sounds better than any regular old soundboard I've heard from 1971. So I think there's potential there.

I still wonder if zep embellished the how bad the tapes sounded to throw the record company off. The story of them being wiped was obviously not true. Since the record company paid for the recording unlike the Cali 72 tapes and earls court which the band likely paid for on their own. Maybe the record company could have asked for the tapes back.

It's been said the the 2 tokyo shows were recorded as well page referenced recording the 924 show with on this day. But only the 2 osaka shows seem to have the numerous extra mics. Not that it could not be done without the extra mics but extra mics was how zep wanted done it seems. Perhaps it was just the tokyo shows that turned out bad and made changes to the recording set up for osaka. Maybe they wiped the tokyo tapes and kept the osaka shows because the turned out decent. 

4 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Yeah, the 9-28 Black Dog does sound very good. It's the 9-29 recording that was botched, with the drums and vocals going on one track, etc. Right?

This was the best explaination for the botched quality on the 9/29 multitracks.   

No one will ever know for sure unless the masters are played back and we could hear a remix of the tapes or each individual track....

The 9/28 gives up hope.   And wasn’t more of this...but only bits and pieces during cuts on the audience tape...used on a bootleg of the 9/28 show about 5 years ago??

5 hours ago, badgeholder said:

Yeah, the 9-28 Black Dog does sound very good. It's the 9-29 recording that was botched, with the drums and vocals going on one track, etc. Right?

Oh man, don't tell me that. The 9.29 is the one I most hope eventually gets released.

Roberts vocals and the drums are most likely on separate tracks on the actual multitracks. One of the recording engineers said the made the 929 mixdown tape by splitting all the feeds sending one set of feeds to the multi track recorder and giving the other set of feeds a crude 2 track mixdown which was recorded to a separate tape independent of the multitrack tapes and said he couldn't fix the mix on that type without calling attention from zeppelin s crew. 

1 minute ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Roberts vocals and the drums are most likely on separate tracks on the actual multitracks. One of the recording engineers said the made the 929 mixdown tape by splitting all the feeds sending one set of feeds to the multi track recorder and giving the other set of feeds a crude 2 track mixdown which was recorded to a separate tape independent of the multitrack tapes and said he couldn't fix the mix on that type without calling attention from zeppelin s crew. 

Where and when was this said.   I surely would love to see the interview.   That would be good info if it could be confirmed 

Archived