Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

4 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I believe part of the issue is that if a song is covered straight, then there's a "mechanical rate," a standard royalty rate that gets paid. But if the work is adapted/changed - for example being included as part of a medley in another song, as Zep always did - then the mechanical rate goes out the window and the rights holder can basically name their price or even refuse to give permission altogether.

If this is correct (and if anyone here's a lawyer with expertise in this area, please correct me if I'm wrong!), then it could be that Page simply could not get permission at any price for some of this stuff; or that the price was so exorbitant for some of it as to eat up most of the likely profit from the release.

Not being an apologist - just pointing out that the royalty cost and permission issues are more complex when it comes to stuff adapted for a medley.

Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, The Grateful Dead, Phish, Black Crowes...just to name a few...all of these bands played covers and medleys in their concerts and have had no problems releasing their concert archives unedited and complete with all the songs and all the banter.

I used to think the Rolling Stones were even chintzier and parsimonious than Led Zeppelin but even they have released at least six or seven archival concerts over the past few years with every note intact.

Bravo Mick and Keith for finally rewarding your fans. I keep waiting for Jimmy and Robert to follow your lead. So what if you lack multi-tracks...unleash the soundboards!

2 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Sometimes the rights to a song may be held by numerous parties and not just 1 person and you may have to get permission from if half a dozen different people and  you would have to work out 6 different royalty deals and sometimes it may be impossible to even determine who all the rights holders are . Also who owns the rights to a certain song  may be the subject of an ongoing court battle so in that case a deal would be impossible. So in some cases it may just be page bot wanting  to  pay.

The rights to "Hello Mary Lou", "Heartbreaker", "Slow Down", and "Louie Louie" are fairly straightforward and not held by a dozen people simultaneously. 

So, in other words, I'm not buying Jimmy's (and whomever else is making these decisions) excuses.

2 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

The bigger picture IMO is that quite obviously Jimmy has little credibility left, and his claims I'LL. believe it when I

see/hear it. Don't we already have ample proof that once Jimmy takes any live show project he basically destroys

the real feel of a concert, adds second guitars!?!?!?(listen to HTWWW live "The Ocean".) The Jap shows, the EC shows,

even if they are released in whatever format, prepare to be very irritated at the end product.

Yes, true.

His editing is somewhat annoying. He wants make LZ sound more perfect than they acually were live. If there is a word Robert sings out of tune so be it. It's live after all! LZ was far from perfect at most gigs. So why try to cover that with endless editing? He should have relesed the HTWWW concerts individually and untouched. Not take that word from this concert and that tone from that concert. That's not live!!

One thing that came to mind this morning,...wouldn't they let the Japan bootlegs remove from Youtube if they planned to release these concerts? For example, when Queen released "Live at the Rainbow" and "A night at the odeon" they let the boots on youtube delete some time before the release date.

31 minutes ago, the-ocean87 said:

One thing that came to mind this morning,...wouldn't they let the Japan bootlegs remove from Youtube if they planned to release these concerts? For example, when Queen released "Live at the Rainbow" and "A night at the odeon" they let the boots on youtube delete some time before the release date.

Not necessarily. Led Zeppelin 02 Arena concert clips were left up despite an imminent dvd release, for example.

Regarding Jimmy editing and chopping up every live release - think of “The Emperor Has No Clothes.”     I’m sure everyone around Jimmy just ass kisses him and never tells him how lame it is to butcher up these historical recordings.    

Not one live Zeppelin release has ever been done correctly. 

The greatful dead does 2 types of releases soundboard recordings for the hardcore like road trips and diicks and daves picks which are limited and only available through subscription or by ordering from the website and they also do full scale mainstream releases every so often which are usually multitracks which get some commercial grade polish and processing although not that much which are aimed at the less dedicated fan. Zeppelin should do the same. Limited edition sb tapes for the hardcore and polished multitracks for the non bootleg crowd. Everyone wins.

We NEED a complete Earls Court and also Knebworth if possible. And this time let's have Earls Court WITHOUT Dick Carruthers's horrible hatchet job video editing. It doesn't need to change camera every four seconds to look good. Particularly when half of the camera cuts are to unrelated footage or shitty effects.

I don't really see the need for Japan 1971. The early years of the band have been amply reprsented with the BBC Sessions, Live at the Royal Albert Hall and How The West Was Won. I find it shameful that the second half of Led Zeppelin's career is only represented by an hour and a half of footage of the second disc of DVD. WE NEED MORE

I've just been listening to a bootleg of the Newport Jazz Festival performance from 1969, it'd be great to hear a properly recorded version of that.

The Miles Davis gig from that festival sounds great.

2 hours ago, kayley10 said:

We NEED a complete Earls Court and also Knebworth if possible. And this time let's have Earls Court WITHOUT Dick Carruthers's horrible hatchet job video editing. It doesn't need to change camera every four seconds to look good. Particularly when half of the camera cuts are to unrelated footage or shitty effects.

I don't really see the need for Japan 1971. The early years of the band have been amply reprsented with the BBC Sessions, Live at the Royal Albert Hall and How The West Was Won. I find it shameful that the second half of Led Zeppelin's career is only represented by an hour and a half of footage of the second disc of DVD. WE NEED MORE

Hear Hear!!!

Though what I would prefer is a complete show of the Earls Court made up of the best songs from the various shows. If they can work in the video fine but I am much more interested in the audio.

Regarding Knebworth...the same thing except also use songs from the Copenhagen warm ups if possible, but synched as best as possible to the Knebworth video.

Unlike many I am not a purist and have no desire for a warts and all, individual performance. If jimmy needs to combine shows to make a single, excellent performance so much the better IMO. However, please don't go overboard Mr. Jimmy. It's one thing to take say, the TYG from July 24th but it's quite another to edit the song itself. NO EDITS TO INDIVIDUAL SONGS!!! Present the songs as is but just present the best version from the various shows. 

With japan 1971 you have the band performing at the absolute height of there ability with plants voice still in great high range mode . They are the only multitrack live recordings  where the band plays at their absolute best. Rah bbc and hwww are good but none of those shows have the band at their absolute best . Rah is great but there are other shows far better In 1970. Same with the Cali 72 shows they are very good but again they played better shows early in the tour and bbc is just a good show but nothing special. The japan shows smoke all of the released early live stuff. Many consider japan 71 the best shows they ever played so we do need a 71 japan release. I will take an ec release if nothing else comes out.  But the 1975 soundboards have hoy me burned out on 75 and the West coast shows of 75 kill the a.c. shows.

22 minutes ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

With japan 1971 you have the band performing at the absolute height of there ability with plants voice still in great high range mode . They are the only multitrack live recordings  where the band plays at their absolute best. Rah bbc and hwww are good but none of those shows have the band at their absolute best . Rah is great but there are other shows far better In 1970. Same with the Cali 72 shows they are very good but again they played better shows early in the tour and bbc is just a good show but nothing special. The japan shows smoke all of the released early live stuff. Many consider japan 71 the best shows they ever played so we do need a 71 japan release. I will take an ec release if nothing else comes out.  But the 1975 soundboards have hoy me burned out on 75 and the West coast shows of 75 kill the a.c. shows.

That's exactly how I feel. There are early releases, but the bootlegs are typically okay quality at best, in 1975 there are plenty of really good sounding bootlegs and they were still playing great but nothing compared to the level that they were performing at in 1971.

2 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Say what?  They weren't at their best for the 6/25 & 6/27/72 shows??  Seriously??  I love the Japan 71 run and want those as much as anyone, but please don't dismiss those 72 shows. They're damn near perfect.  Listen to the Burn Like a Candle source all the way thru and tell me that's not one of the most perfectly executed live performances by any band EVER.

3 hours ago, Adam Ryan watson said:

Pretty obvious you are a newbie, thanks for reminding us, nice mix of "knowledge" and opinion..  Sorry mate, bad day..

Not a newbie by any stretch I've been listening to zeppelin for 25 years and I'm . And i never said and I never said rah or the hwww were not oustsanding shows but on my opinion they played shows that were better in that era and in my opinion that includes the 71 japan shows . In 1970 o think shows like Memphis montreux  both l.a shows  San Diego and the msg shows were alot better then royal Albert hall. In 1972 I think the 2 Seattle shows and the 2 Nassau shows  are better then the hwww shows which I still think are awesome shows I've listened to every zep bootleg 20 times over so I'm not anywhere close to a newbie.  There are tonnes of great sounding boots from 73 onwards  and a limited amount of good sounding recordings from pre 73 and I'm an sorry if my favorite shows are different from yours and I'm am sorry if my love of japan 71 is offensive to anyone .

Zeppelin were great in the summer of 72 and if you read my post I clearly stated that I thought zeppelin played better shows earlier in the tour i love the 2 Seattle shows and the 2 Nassau shows from the 72 tour in fact they are 4 of my all time favorite zeppelin shows my point was that the early years including 1972  could use some more releases so jimmy saying summer 72 was their peak goes right along with my point that why need more early releases. For what it's worth though plants voice was in far better shape in 70 and 71 then it was in 72 but instrumentally the band was pretty fucking tight on  1972. But I prefer shows where plant is still at the top of his upper register which is 1970 and 1971. So people love the latter shows more and I can see why . My favorite shows post 72 are the l.a 77 shows I know there are shows on 73 that are better instrumentally but I like l.a 77  for plants voice and the band as a whole a in fantastic latter year forum. But I would never tell anyone they were wrong even if Tempe or Oakland were their favorite shows

For what it's worth I've read lots of posts on various forums including this one where people have stated zeppelin played better shows in 1970 then rah and better shows on 1972 then the California shows. So how does that make me a newbie because I like shows better then those ones. I did not know there was a right and wrong answer for favorite shows and I was under the impression that most posts including mine were a mixture  of knowledge and opinion . So bad day to you mate I followed these forums for several years  before joining and have seen plenty of posts that are a mixture of knowledge  and opinion and what's wrong with that.  And i find it completely arrogant for someone to say thanks for reminding us your a newbie as if you speak for the whole forum.

A question about the missing tracks on RAH. Is the video footage missing or is there also audio missing from these songs?

I know there are bits of "Heartbreaker" and "Thank you" in the DVD menus. It's a pity we don't have video footage of these two very important Zep songs. I guess the "Long Tall Sally" medley won't make a future release because of royalities.

6 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

This is worth being released and also has a decent video quality. Except for that crappy end of the guitar solo it only needs a bit of autotune on some vocal parts.

I think this is perfect as is. The end of that guitar solo is about the best anyone can do without a second guitarist playing rhythm. No mater how skilled a guitar player is, unless he is Vishnu, he / she still only has two hands.

Regarding autotune....BLASPHEMER!!! Autotune is the work of the devil. I would rather hear Plant belt out Rock and Roll in late January 1975 influenza voice then hear him ever be autotuned.

8 hours ago, the-ocean87 said:

This is worth being released and also has a decent video quality. Except for that crappy end of the guitar solo it only needs a bit of autotune on some vocal parts.

Good shout. The song's short so the visuals don't get boring, Page is playing slide on the double neck, and it's a good performance.

Well correct me if wrong, but the missing RAH stuff audio and video is supposedly too chopped up  and not really syncable

into a coherent whole. This thing about the rights with the medley's, not a lawyer but as mentioned scores of groups have

done these and possibly as the songs are in a medley and not standing alone complete versions, legal action may be

problematical. ???  As far as releasing boots in their virgin state, I like others are pretty irritated. Everyone knows

Zep made mistakes live(Jimmy more so), but one of the best qualities of Zep was maybe one song would be a bit

weak, but the next song could very well be one of the best live versions ever.

Archived