Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

16 minutes ago, reids said:

We’ll see. I tend to believe they’ll release in chronological order with a 68-80 retrospective (sampler) first to cash in on the anniversary. 

R😎

Trust me, I'd rather have the chronological live album than EC.  But going by Jimmy's comment, it sounds like he has decided to produce one show in particular.  I also believe now is a better time than ever to release the chronological album to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

17 minutes ago, Kevinrm15 said:

Trust me, I'd rather have the chronological live album than EC.  But going by Jimmy's comment, it sounds like he has decided to produce one show in particular.  I also believe now is a better time than ever to release the chronological album to celebrate the 50th anniversary.

If that’s the case, then probably Bath, since it was fairly recently re-discovered.

R😎

1 hour ago, reids said:

If that’s the case, then probably Bath, since it was fairly recently re-discovered.

R😎

Wait, it was?

The "next ten years" tease by Jimmy sure sounds like he plans to do what Priest did and match the releases with the respective years from the 70s. Priest released a British Steel anniversary album in 2010 (with a reuinion era live gig), Screaming for Vengeance anniversary in 2012 (with the '83 US festival gig), Defenders of the Faith in 2014 (with a Long Beach show from '84), Turbo in 2016 (with a complete show from that tour). I think a Ram It Down release is upon us this year.

Anyway, it sounds to me like that's what Jimmy possibly has in mind. Surely he has noticed what Priest are doing. So, my guess would be (I don't have ideas for some the years, due to the pure abundance of possibilities):

2018 - some live anthology

2019 - anyone's guess

2020 - Bath

2021 - Osaka or Budokan

2022 - anyone's guess

2023 - anyone's guess (please let it be a European show)

2024 - no release (Priest skipped 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2017)

2025 - EC

2026 - no release

2027 - anyone's guess

2028 - no release

2029 - Copenhagen or Knebworth

2030 - a European show

One can dream, right?

Sounds like you may have read my earlier post:

”Probably a live retrospective (68-80) first this September and then Bath, Southampton, EC, 77 and then a 79/80 Tour Live Set over the next 10 years.”

R😎

A live compilation will probably be first as it makes the most sense with the 50th anniversary.  Jimmy has always wanted to do one as far back as the late 70's.  Also, it's been reported that Atlantic Records wants him to do one for the anniversary.  We'll see what happens and how this unforlds over the next ten years.

3 hours ago, reids said:

Sounds like you may have read my earlier post:

”Probably a live retrospective (68-80) first this September and then Bath, Southampton, EC, 77 and then a 79/80 Tour Live Set over the next 10 years.”

R😎

I did! Wonder what Jimmy will do for 2022 since HTWWW is already out. Remaster it again? :hysterical:

39 minutes ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

I did! Wonder what Jimmy will do for 2022 since HTWWW is already out. Remaster it again? :hysterical:

Cool 😎👍He’ll probably Re-remaster The Song Remains The Same (Oldie Moldie Edition)

R😀

6 hours ago, SuperDave said:

A live compilation will probably be first as it makes the most sense with the 50th anniversary.  Jimmy has always wanted to do one as far back as the late 70's.  Also, it's been reported that Atlantic Records wants him to do one for the anniversary.  We'll see what happens and how this unforlds over the next ten years.

Hello Dave,

Can I ask you please where you heard that Atlantic wants a LZ chronological live release for the anniversary ?  I've never seen this and I'm intrigued.

Thanks,

- Kevin

As far as complications go, would it make sense to do a “latter days” only Comp or chronology ? It Might if you wanted to document live versions of the later tracks and only parts of the later shows were spectacular?

44 minutes ago, JAP said:

As far as complications go, would it make sense to do a “latter days” only Comp or chronology ? It Might if you wanted to document live versions of the later tracks and only parts of the later shows were spectacular?

Any time Jimmy has discussed a chronological live album, to include as far back as the mid-1970s, it seems it's always been within the context of presenting the band from inception to end. The easiest way to achieve this is to include live renditions of one or two songs from each album. The challenge is to present the material in a way that the tracks flow nicely without significant fluctuations in sound quality.

10 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

The challenge is to present the material in a way that the tracks flow nicely without significant fluctuations in sound quality.

An immense challenge indeed. I don't see how there cannot be fluctuations - and significant ones.

Still, you never know.

17 hours ago, Boogie Chillen 82 said:

Wait, it was?

The "next ten years" tease by Jimmy sure sounds like he plans to do what Priest did and match the releases with the respective years from the 70s. Priest released a British Steel anniversary album in 2010 (with a reuinion era live gig), Screaming for Vengeance anniversary in 2012 (with the '83 US festival gig), Defenders of the Faith in 2014 (with a Long Beach show from '84), Turbo in 2016 (with a complete show from that tour). I think a Ram It Down release is upon us this year.

Anyway, it sounds to me like that's what Jimmy possibly has in mind. Surely he has noticed what Priest are doing. So, my guess would be (I don't have ideas for some the years, due to the pure abundance of possibilities):

2018 - some live anthology

2019 - anyone's guess

2020 - Bath

2021 - Osaka or Budokan

2022 - anyone's guess

2023 - anyone's guess (please let it be a European show)

2024 - no release (Priest skipped 2011, 2013, 2015, and 2017)

2025 - EC

2026 - no release

2027 - anyone's guess

2028 - no release

2029 - Copenhagen or Knebworth

2030 - a European show

One can dream, right?

That's very interesting, and I think it actually illustrates why 10 or so years' worth of chronological releases is not likely to be how Page/Zep does it. I say this because after the first 6 years filled with potentially amazing stuff, the final 7 years represent a massive fall-off: 3 of the 7 would have no release at all; 2 of the 7 (1977 and 1980) would have to rely (as far as we know) on soundboard sources that generally are not up to snuff sonically or performance-wise for official release; and 1 of the 7 (1979) likely has available in official-release sound quality relatively few quality song performances not already released on the DVD (and from the rumors already planned to be updated this year or soon after with a Blu-Ray version of the DVD).

So for all years after 1973, that leaves only one year - '75 - with a significant number of unreleased live tracks, well-performed, available in official-release quality.

To put it another way, if Page and the band were willing to dip into soundboard sources and release a bunch of shows as the Dead have done for years and as some other acts have more recently begun doing (Stones, The Who, etc.), then they wouldn't make it chronological by year, but rather would just roll out the best shows (combo of good performances and good sound quality).

But I just don't see Zep doing that. So if they're not just going to throw a bunch of soundboards out there, then they don't have nearly enough stuff for 10 years. So I would not take Page's recent reference to 10 years' worth of releases literally, especially in light of Plant's recent comment in an interview that the 50th anniversary doesn't start until September, so there's still time for the surviving members to get together and talk about what to put out (meaning it's possible nothing has been agreed upon yet aside from maybe one or two releases in the pipeline for the beginning of the anniversary).

So I would guess that we will see one year's worth of releases to commemorate the 50th anniversary year, from Sep 2018 to Sep 2019. If the 2014/15 reissue pattern holds, that would mean they'd do 1 to 3 releases per cycle, and one release cycle approximately every 4-5 months, for a total of 3 or 4 release cycles - meaning a minimum of 3 releases and a max of 12, with the most likely number being between 3 and 6 total releases.

This is all rank speculation of course - I could be completely, comically wrong - and it certainly doesn't rule out sporadic releases later on, perhaps keyed to the 50th anniversary of the particular concert.

41 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

That's very interesting, and I think it actually illustrates why 10 or so years' worth of chronological releases is not likely to be how Page/Zep does it.

So I would guess that we will see one year's worth of releases to commemorate the 50th anniversary year, from Sep 2018 to Sep 2019. If the 2014/15 reissue pattern holds, that would mean they'd do 1 to 3 releases per cycle, and one release cycle approximately every 4-5 months, for a total of 3 or 4 release cycles - meaning a minimum of 3 releases and a max of 12, with the most likely number being between 3 and 6 total releases.

I could totally see that! The 10 year theory would make sense if there were multi tracks for '77 and '79 (and Copenhagen). Or, they could release stuff chronologically and stop in 2025 with EC. My brain says that you're probably right though, even though my heart wants Jimmy to empty the vaults! :hysterical:

2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

That's very interesting, and I think it actually illustrates why 10 or so years' worth of chronological releases is not likely to be how Page/Zep does it. I say this because after the first 6 years filled with potentially amazing stuff, the final 7 years represent a massive fall-off: 3 of the 7 would have no release at all; 2 of the 7 (1977 and 1980) would have to rely (as far as we know) on soundboard sources that generally are not up to snuff sonically or performance-wise for official release; and 1 of the 7 (1979) likely has available in official-release sound quality relatively few quality song performances not already released on the DVD (and from the rumors already planned to be updated this year or soon after with a Blu-Ray version of the DVD).

So for all years after 1973, that leaves only one year - '75 - with a significant number of unreleased live tracks, well-performed, available in official-release quality.

To put it another way, if Page and the band were willing to dip into soundboard sources and release a bunch of shows as the Dead have done for years and as some other acts have more recently begun doing (Stones, The Who, etc.), then they wouldn't make it chronological by year, but rather would just roll out the best shows (combo of good performances and good sound quality).

But I just don't see Zep doing that. So if they're not just going to throw a bunch of soundboards out there, then they don't have nearly enough stuff for 10 years. So I would not take Page's recent reference to 10 years' worth of releases literally, especially in light of Plant's recent comment in an interview that the 50th anniversary doesn't start until September, so there's still time for the surviving members to get together and talk about what to put out (meaning it's possible nothing has been agreed upon yet aside from maybe one or two releases in the pipeline for the beginning of the anniversary).

This is all rank speculation of course - I could be completely, comically wrong - and it certainly doesn't rule out sporadic releases later on, perhaps keyed to the 50th anniversary of the particular concert.

I think you're right. I agree the "doing it by the year" approach would leave the band exposed in quality terms as to the post 1975 period. My guess is a chronological live album for 2018/19 would kill two birds with one stone: the copyright would be renewed for songs covering the whole period 1969-79, and it would be a "big bang" release for the anniversary with individual gigs to come later

10 hours ago, Kevinrm15 said:

Hello Dave,

Can I ask you please where you heard that Atlantic wants a LZ chronological live release for the anniversary ?  I've never seen this and I'm intrigued.

Thanks,

- Kevin

I heard this a few months back on here as someone posted it.  I forget the specifics but they had brief info about this in what Atlantic wanted Jimmy to do for a live release for the anniversary.

12 hours ago, tmtomh said:

You do have a point. However, in regards to the latter day stuff and the lack of quality content, I wouldn't necessarily dismiss it entirely. We've seen from @SteveZ98 that the 77 soundboards can be remastered/tweaked to sound pretty decent. Assuming Page has, say, all of the LA and NY shows in soundboard form, he could conceivably remix them in a professional setting to make them sound listenable to the casual observer. He could do a similar thing for the Copenhagen 79 (if they exist that is) and the 80 soundboards. Sure, it would probably take a lot of work, but the point is that it's not impossible. He could then try to make them sound consistent sonically and "frankenstein" them to his heart's content in order to give the best representation possible for those respective years.

This has a very slim chance of ever happening, granted, but you never know...

On 2/17/2018 at 2:56 AM, reids said:

Cool 😎👍He’ll probably Re-remaster The Song Remains The Same (Oldie Moldie Edition)

R😀

If it's the original 1976 mix... I WISH HE WOULD... or at least give it a limited AAA vinyl reissue using the terrific Bernie Grundman mastering used for the Classic Records reissue in the 2000's!!!

On 2/17/2018 at 8:33 AM, Kevinrm15 said:

Hello Dave,

Thanks,

- Kevin

They - and we - would have got one in the mid-1990's... had Percy repeatedly not put the kibosh on it; Jimmy even issued a press release in early '93 announcing that he was finally working on the chronological live album... but nothing ever came of it thereafter!

Why would Plant nix such an album through the '80's and '90's yet agree to it now...?

35 minutes ago, The Old Hermit said:

If it's the original 1976 mix... I WISH HE WOULD... or at least give it a limited AAA vinyl reissue using the terrific Bernie Grundman mastering used for the Classic Records reissue in the 2000's!!!

They - and we - would have got one in the mid-1990's... had Percy repeatedly not put the kibosh on it; Jimmy even issued a press release in early '93 announcing that he was finally working on the chronological live album... but nothing ever came of it thereafter!

Why would Plant nix such an album through the '80's and '90's yet agree to it now...?

Who knows. People’s motivations change as they get older. Maybe he finally just gave in as he knows they’ll not do any concerts anymore due to age and this will be a better way to represent Led Zeppelin (as they were) and celebrate 50 years.

R😎

I think Plant feels far more established and secure with himself now, post-Dreamland and particularly post-Raising Sand. So while he still will likely not participate much in the promotion of any Zep live releases, I think he doesn't feel the same need he did in the '80s and '90s to run away from his legacy with Zep, or to keep Zep stuff out of the marketplace.

Having 45-50 year-old Zep shows come out while he's touring as a Grammy winning, R&R HOF'er, critical darling with a band he loves, in venues to his liking, and doing some Zep stuff in his setlists, likely is little more than a minor annoyance (if that) for him.

But 30 years ago, Zep had been gone for less than 10 years, much of the rock world was still in a state of semi-insanity trying to fill the void left by Zep, and Plant was trying to promote Shaken n Stirred while refusing to play Zep songs at his shows. A live Zep collection then probably seemed like a torpedo shot right into the hull of his emerging solo career.

18 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

Assuming Page has, say, all of the LA and NY shows in soundboard form, he could conceivably remix them in a professional setting to make them sound listenable to the casual observer. He could do a similar thing for the Copenhagen 79 (if they exist that is) and the 80 soundboards. Sure, it would probably take a lot of work, but the point is that it's not impossible. He could then try to make them sound consistent sonically and "frankenstein" them to his heart's content in order to give the best representation possible for those respective years.

This has a very slim chance of ever happening, granted, but you never know...

Do you honestly believe a 74+ year old Jimmy Page is going to waste the remaining years of his life remixing sonically sub-standard material that has been bootlegged beyond belief? I don't. The few times he has (Seattle '77 clips, Paris '69...) it was a marriage of convenience born out of necessity. Casual observers couldn't care less, more often than not they just want a stocking stuffer for Dad (who is also getting on in years). 

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

I think Plant feels far more established and secure with himself now, post-Dreamland and particularly post-Raising Sand. So while he still will likely not participate much in the promotion of any Zep live releases, I think he doesn't feel the same need he did in the '80s and '90s to run away from his legacy with Zep, or to keep Zep stuff out of the marketplace.

He's secure in the knowledge that his career is essentially over. He's good with doing 15 to 20 dates a year for ever diminishing audiences with a band that poses no artistic or social challenges whatsoever. There's no shame in this as one either goes out on top when they are young or they gradually fade away.  

Just now, SteveAJones said:

He's secure in the knowledge that his career is essentially over. He's good with doing 15 to 20 dates a year for ever diminishing audiences with a band that poses no artistic or social challenges whatsoever. There's no shame in this as one either goes out on top when they are young or they gradually fade away.  

Yeah, as you know very well, I don't subscribe to your take on this. So as long as we're both willing to be civil about it, we can agree to disagree, yes?

9 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Do you honestly believe a 74+ year old Jimmy Page is going to waste the remaining years of his life remixing sonically sub-standard material that has been bootlegged beyond belief? I don't. The few times he has (Seattle '77 clips, Paris '69...) it was a marriage of convenience born out of necessity. Casual observers couldn't care less, more often than not they just want a stocking stuffer for Dad (who is also getting on in years). 

Steve, you yourself just admitted that he's done it before. The Paris '69 show could very well be a sign that he's softened his stance on what could pass for official release in terms of sound. I even admitted above that it was an extremely slim chance. But I think if Page were going to release anything from 77, it'd be those LA or NY soundboards. No way in hell he would release Seattle 77 unless he was going to frankenstein the hell out of it. He'd almost certainly do the same for any other release anyway. The point is, nobody know what these new releases over the next decade will be (assuming it will indeed last that long). If the whole copyright law thing extends to soundboards (as has been debated at the hotel), then Page could conceivably do this. Besides, if he's going to waste the remainder of his life, it might as well be putting out new releases instead of just saying "I'll be performing later this year" for the zillionth time.

Archived