Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Mook

Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, reids said:

Yes, sort of, but it was missing content we’d like to see like: 

Fire

Swan Song (Instrumental w/ drums)

Piano & Flamenco (guitar)

All My Love (w/ complete ending)

R😎

I agree Swan Song was a grievous omission from the 2104/15 reissue campaign. Should've been on the Physical Graffiti companion disc. Page was asked about it in an interview and said it wasn't really a finished song, so he didn't include it. I think that's ridiculous, but what are you gonna do?

Fire is a very poor quality rehearsal tape - a single, distant mic in the room while they all did a rough run-through. Not anywhere remotely near official-release sound quality; never going to happen.

All My Love with the complete ending is excellent, but reportedly a circa 1990 mix of the track, so it's not actually from the time period, meaning it won't get released (every other studio alt. version/outtake etc has been from the time period, and Page has been pretty adamant about that).

Piano and Flamenco - probably never going to get released either, as it's even less of a song than Swan Song. There is a small chance of this one getting released though, since the rumor is that the 50th anniversary "celebration" will include some Zep I-era 1968 studio stuff that either wasn't enough to fill out a Zep I companion disc in 2014, or else was intentionally held back at the time, to save for this year.

Edited by tmtomh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

That complete ending to AML, it's a little dramatic, theatrical, a bit ... Imo best left in the vault.

Edited by JTM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I agree Swan Song was a grievous omission from the 2104/15 reissue campaign. Should've been on the Physical Graffiti companion disc. Page was asked about it in an interview and said it wasn't really a finished song, so he didn't include it. I think that's ridiculous, but what are you gonna do?

Fire is a very poor quality rehearsal tape - a single, distant mic in the room while they all did a rough run-through. Not anywhere remotely near official-release sound quality; never going to happen.

All My Love with the complete ending is excellent, but reportedly a circa 1990 mix of the track, so it's not actually from the time period, meaning it won't get released (every other studio alt. version/outtake etc has been from the time period, and Page has been pretty adamant about that).

Piano and Flamenco - probably never going to get released either, as it's even less of a song than Swan Song. There is a small chance of this one getting released though, since the rumor is that the 50th anniversary "celebration" will include some Zep I-era 1968 studio stuff that either wasn't enough to fill out a Zep I companion disc in 2014, or else was intentionally held back at the time, to save for this year.

Finally, someone spells it right! Thank you tmtomh. Do you all see that? There's NO SUCH THING as "should of" okay? okay. Carry on...:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I agree Swan Song was a grievous omission from the 2104/15 reissue campaign. Should've been on the Physical Graffiti companion disc. Page was asked about it in an interview and said it wasn't really a finished song, so he didn't include it. I think that's ridiculous, but what are you gonna do?

Fire is a very poor quality rehearsal tape - a single, distant mic in the room while they all did a rough run-through. Not anywhere remotely near official-release sound quality; never going to happen.

All My Love with the complete ending is excellent, but reportedly a circa 1990 mix of the track, so it's not actually from the time period, meaning it won't get released (every other studio alt. version/outtake etc has been from the time period, and Page has been pretty adamant about that).

Piano and Flamenco - probably never going to get released either, as it's even less of a song than Swan Song. There is a small chance of this one getting released though, since the rumor is that the 50th anniversary "celebration" will include some Zep I-era 1968 studio stuff that either wasn't enough to fill out a Zep I companion disc in 2014, or else was intentionally held back at the time, to save for this year.

I agree. It’s just part of my wishlist. It’s a dream. I’d really like it if the 3 surviving members would reconvene in the studio with Jason (as a bonus for LZ’s 50th Anniversary) to overdub his dads parts as best as possible to honor him and the band, but that’s most likely never going to happen.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, reids said:

 

Piano & Flamenco (guitar)

Interesting how JPJ’s trusty Hammond M103 has metamorphosed first from organ to pipes and now into a piano!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, reids said:

I agree. It’s just part of my wishlist. It’s a dream. I’d really like it if the 3 surviving members would reconvene in the studio with Jason (as a bonus for LZ’s 50th Anniversary) to overdub his dads parts as best as possible to honor him and the band, but that’s most likely never going to happen.

R😎

Would be so different to what you think it would be.

Led Zeppelin music is the sound of a pure attack on the nervous system, created by men in the prime of their lives.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

Would be so different to what you think it would be.

Led Zeppelin music is the sound of a pure attack on the nervous system, created by men in the prime of their lives.

 

Agreed. They’re different people now and that was a different time. It’d be a souvenir (only). Sort of like the Beatles anthology “Free As A Bird” & “Real Love” was what I was thinking/relaying it to.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, reids said:

Agreed. They’re different people now and that was a different time. It’d be a souvenir (only). Sort of like the Beatles anthology “Free As A Bird” & “Real Love” was what I was thinking/relaying it to.

R😎

I change men to magicians.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TheStairwayRemainsTheSame said:

I change men to magicians.

Gotcha.  🎩 🌩 🐇 

I think the anthology and the remastered w/ bonus discs was it, but we’ll see.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I agree Swan Song was a grievous omission from the 2104/15 reissue campaign. Should've been on the Physical Graffiti companion disc. Page was asked about it in an interview and said it wasn't really a finished song, so he didn't include it. I think that's ridiculous, but what are you gonna do?

Fire is a very poor quality rehearsal tape - a single, distant mic in the room while they all did a rough run-through. Not anywhere remotely near official-release sound quality; never going to happen.

All My Love with the complete ending is excellent, but reportedly a circa 1990 mix of the track, so it's not actually from the time period, meaning it won't get released (every other studio alt. version/outtake etc has been from the time period, and Page has been pretty adamant about that).

Piano and Flamenco - probably never going to get released either, as it's even less of a song than Swan Song. There is a small chance of this one getting released though, since the rumor is that the 50th anniversary "celebration" will include some Zep I-era 1968 studio stuff that either wasn't enough to fill out a Zep I companion disc in 2014, or else was intentionally held back at the time, to save for this year.

The early Sick Again version that was released is less of a song than Swan Song is.  Page drives me nuts sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, LedElvis75 said:

The early Sick Again version that was released is less of a song than Swan Song is.  Page drives me nuts sometimes.

Maybe he’s saving Swan Song for a final single release after all of the official live stuff is done. We’ll see. You never know.

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, reids said:

Maybe he’s saving Swan Song for a final single release after all of the official live stuff is done. We’ll see. You never know.

R😎

And if he is, it’s just pure greed. Any studio stuff that comes out in the future really should have been on the companion discs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

And if he is, it’s just pure greed. Any studio stuff that comes out in the future really should have been on the companion discs

...Or as a finale (literal “Swan Song”)

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

And if he is, it’s just pure greed. Any studio stuff that comes out in the future really should have been on the companion discs

Completely. He said the door was shut on the studio stuff after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

And if he is, it’s just pure greed. Any studio stuff that comes out in the future really should have been on the companion discs

I think that would be a really nice, symbolic way to end it all. His final studio Zep release is Swang Song. Maybe he decides to release it posthumously. I think that would be pretty awesome, and totally Page-esque.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, paplbojo said:

I think that would be a really nice, symbolic way to end it all. His final studio Zep release is Swang Song. Maybe he decides to release it posthumously. I think that would be pretty awesome, and totally Page-esque.

Yes, indeed or as a record store day 45 single. 

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2018 at 12:19 PM, LedElvis75 said:

The early Sick Again version that was released is less of a song than Swan Song is.  Page drives me nuts sometimes.

Agreed, and not hi-fidelity either. If that made the cut for an official release, there are plenty of sound boards that can be clean up and EQd to sound fine ...by that standard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, reids said:

Yes, indeed or as a record store day 45 single. 

R😎

 

12 hours ago, paplbojo said:

I think that would be a really nice, symbolic way to end it all. His final studio Zep release is Swang Song. Maybe he decides to release it posthumously. I think that would be pretty awesome, and totally Page-esque.

A nice symbolic way to squeeze the last brass farthing out of the Zeppelin legacy.

Page said the companion discs were the last statement on the studio stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I guess the real last studio statement is the record store day release.  Unless its not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, paplbojo said:

I think that would be a really nice, symbolic way to end it all. His final studio Zep release is Swang Song. Maybe he decides to release it posthumously. I think that would be pretty awesome, and totally Page-esque.

Can somebody explain what the deal with Swan Song is?

I know its an unfinished track from PG but it's all over youtube. Is there some kind of holy grail version with lyrics or something?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chick-N-Picker said:

Can somebody explain what the deal with Swan Song is?

I know its an unfinished track from PG but it's all over youtube. Is there some kind of holy grail version with lyrics or something?

No, it's just something people know exists and would like to have in better quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, drpete said:

Well I guess the real last studio statement is the record store day release.  Unless its not

Yeah, Page contradicted himself so quickly by doing that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why would Page release Swan Song? It's an unfinished Zep track he finished in 1985 and placed on the first Firm album as Midnight Moonlight. I suspect this is the reason why he will not release it. What would be the point?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, IpMan said:

Why would Page release Swan Song? It's an unfinished Zep track he finished in 1985 and placed on the first Firm album as Midnight Moonlight. I suspect this is the reason why he will not release it. What would be the point?

Because Midnight Moonlight is rubbish, featuring the usual Paul Rodgers' cheesy lyrics, an over-wrought vocal performance, 80s production (including fretless bass) and a disjointed stop-start drum arrangement which kills the song.

It was the Firm trying to do a Zeppelin number and failing miserably.

I would much rather have had Swan Song than two alt mixes of Rock 'n' Roll with slightly louder tambourines.

To me SS is a great snapshot of the creative process, or a "portal" as Page likes to call it.

Edited by Boleskinner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

No, it's just something people know exists and would like to have in better quality.

Exactly. It’s a more inspiring song motivated by the late great John Bonham. I really think it could sound better as a finale for Led Zeppelin (if there is a better mix / take with possibly RP & JPJ) than what became the song recorded w/ the Firm. 

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×