Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

What if Page was able to at long last relocate materials that were taken from his home and if some of them were from 1977 and 1980??? That would certainly fill in the gaps and make one excited about releasing albums over the next 10 years or so, right??? Let’s be patient and see. Until then, it’s all speculation and wish lists, right?   

R😎👍

3 hours ago, Cosmic_Equilibrium said:

You'd be surprised about what bands don't do sometimes. It boggles me slightly that Black Sabbath didn't do more extensive recording of their live shows - they just did bits in 73 and 75 I think - but it seemingly wasn't a huge priority for them. Equally, I've always been surprised that Floyd never put out a big live album in the 70s. They recorded their 1974 Wembley show and released that as bonus material on the DSOTM and WYWH releases eventually, but I don't think they professionally recorded the 75-77 era.

Sometimes the circumstances surrounding the band can contribute. Sabbath were dealing with an ever-increasing drug habit and legal troubles which probably distracted them a lot. Page as we know was strung out periodically on the 77 tour, it seems logical to assume that he probably didn't get round to multitracking everything because of that. It's more likely he did possibly multitrack in 75 outside of EC, as he was more together for that tour, but it's not certain.

EDIT: Actually, when you think about it, Page did more multitrack and video recording than a fair few major bands of the 70s:

1970 RAH

1971 Japan

1972 LA/Long Beach

1973 Southampton and MSG

1975 EC

1979 Knebworth

That's more than most bands of the era bothered to do. We criticize Page for not doing enough, but what if he was actually being more productive than almost anyone else from the era?

What show from Japan 71 was multitracked and where can I listen to it at? I thought the Japan stuff was just boot leg and rumored SB of 9/28 and 9/29. It's hard to keep straight for me as I'm still learning certain dates.

Still reiterate, just in case Jimmy reads this stuff (very doubtful) that I really hope that they release the video of Since I've Been Loving You and Thank You from Royal Albert Hall. I want to see SIBLY from that bad. All he has to do is use JPH's keys from another live show if having no keys bothers him that bad. It's a pro video version of a song that hadn't even been recorded for the album yet. It's also in my top 5 LZ songs. :)

I think people are forgetting that professionally recording live shows in the 1970’s wasn’t a simple task and wasn’t cheap. I’m sure many bands would have loved to have multitracked more concerts but the sheer obstacle of transporting and paying for a mobile unit with all it’s extra equipment and staff , plus the increased set up and preparation times needed, would probably have made it a logistical nightmare.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:19 AM, babysquid said:

I think people are forgetting that professionally recording live shows in the 1970’s wasn’t a simple task and wasn’t cheap. I’m sure many bands would have loved to have multitracked more concerts but the sheer obstacle of transporting and paying for a mobile unit with all it’s extra equipment and staff , plus the increased set up and preparation times needed, would probably have made it a logistical nightmare.

Good point. But still it seems like they would have wanted to do at least one or maybe two from each tour.

On a large scale that wouldn't be that many to have done. It looks unlikely that they did but if Page drops something like "here is a pro recorded live show from each tour" that will be insane.

Probably would cost $1000 :)

2 hours ago, Chick-N-Picker said:

Good point. But still it seems like they would have wanted to do at least one or maybe two from each tour.

On a large scale that wouldn't be that many to have done. It looks unlikely that they did but if Page drops something like "here is a pro recorded live show from each tour" that will be insane.

Probably would cost $1000 :)

Why would they have wanted to have recorded a couple of shows from each tour? For what purpose other than to give themselves something to watch and listen to?

in the 70s people didn't have videos, let alone dvds, so filming for fans wasn't high on the agenda. They weren't thinking ahead (40 years!) to what fans might want now. Indeed in the 70s, remastering albums, releasing box sets or even tour compilations films wasn't even thought of. 

Getting someone of repute like Eddie Kramer to record shows probably wasn't cheap either. So spreading that across the nine years they toured in would have added up to quite a cost, for no real purpose at the time the gigs were happening

On 30-3-2018 at 11:19 AM, babysquid said:

Sure, renting a mobile costs big bucks. But in the majority of cases, the label pays for it, no?...A few exceptions aside where it was the artist who payed the bill (James Brown Live at the Apollo, for instance), any of the majors would carefully consider the benefits. Most seventies live albums were big sellers, at a fraction of the budget for  several weeks worth of studio recordings. And Zeppelin was the biggest act  in the world in those days.

2 hours ago, duckman said:

Sure, renting a mobile costs big bucks. But in the majority of cases, the label pays for it, no?...A few exceptions aside where it was the artist who payed the bill (James Brown Live at the Apollo, for instance), any of the majors would carefully consider the benefits. Most seventies live albums were big sellers, at a fraction of the budget for  several weeks worth of studio recordings. And Zeppelin was the biggest act  in the world in those days.

But if you had a protective mgr that insisted the only way to see or hear Zeppelin live was by seeing them live......

22 hours ago, duckman said:

The artist always pays the bill. You know when you hear about stars being signed for huge advances? Well that’s exactly what they are, funds in advance to be recouped from Lp sales, tours, merch etc.. That advance has to cover recording, production, wages, promotion, transport ..etc If the artist does repay the advance they end up in debt to the label.

Yes some 70’s live albums were big sellers but not all of them, also bands didn’t release them as regularly, they were more of a one off type of thing. A lot of them were also “ sweetened “  by several weeks worth of studio doctoring and overdubs. Of course there were exceptions to this.

50 minutes ago, babysquid said:

The artist always pays the bill. You know when you hear about stars being signed for huge advances? Well that’s exactly what they are, funds in advance to be recouped from Lp sales, tours, merch etc.. That advance has to cover recording, production, wages, promotion, transport ..etc If the artist does repay the advance they end up in debt to the label.

Yes some 70’s live albums were big sellers but not all of them, also bands didn’t release them as regularly, they were more of a one off type of thing. A lot of them were also “ sweetened “  by several weeks worth of studio doctoring and overdubs. Of course there were exceptions to this.

Thanks for this...I read James Brown's story several times, so I thought this was the exception to the rule. Especially since Warner Pioneer insisted on recording  Zep's Japan 71 tour (repeated when Purple did Japan in 1972). Interesting to learn several live albums failed to sell when they were released. Can you name some?

This version of Swan Song is pretty good.  If Jimmy could release Sugar Mama he could certainly release this.  It was funny when Jimmy said he didn't want to release stuff that was out on Bootleg then he put out a fantastic version of Jennings Farm Blues - so glad he did.  And think about how much better Sugar Mama is than the old bootleg.  Come on Jimmy - this is worth a release.  

2 hours ago, John M said:

This version of Swan Song is pretty good.  If Jimmy could release Sugar Mama he could certainly release this.  It was funny when Jimmy said he didn't want to release stuff that was out on Bootleg then he put out a fantastic version of Jennings Farm Blues - so glad he did.  And think about how much better Sugar Mama is than the old bootleg.  Come on Jimmy - this is worth a release.  

I've always felt that Swan Song really deserved a JPJ string arrangement to take it to the next level. Of course, Plants lyrics/vocals would have also greatly enhanced everything as well, but I guess he was just wasn't feeling it. Its understandable as the song does meander about a bit too much, but given the proper attention by the whole band, I think it could have been a good LZ song, and at the very least, a great outtake. As is though? Its just missing too much for me to ever get excited about. The song is a little too grandiose and needed to be tightened up and pieced together in a more fluid manner, IMO.

8 hours ago, blindwillie127 said:

I've always felt that Swan Song really deserved a JPJ string arrangement to take it to the next level. Of course, Plants lyrics/vocals would have also greatly enhanced everything as well, but I guess he was just wasn't feeling it. Its understandable as the song does meander about a bit too much, but given the proper attention by the whole band, I think it could have been a good LZ song, and at the very least, a great outtake. As is though? Its just missing too much for me to ever get excited about. The song is a little too grandiose and needed to be tightened up and pieced together in a more fluid manner, IMO.

Yeah I agree. It's a little too repetitive. I think words could have changed it a lot or at least different instrument solos.

Thanks for this...I read James Brown's story several times, so I thought this was the exception to the rule. Especially since Warner Pioneer insisted on recording  Zep's Japan 71 tour (repeated when Purple did Japan in 1972). Interesting to learn several live albums failed to sell when they were released. Can you name some?

With James Brown it could be a case that for whatever reason the recording was financed without an advance from the record company.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Mook said:

It's gone very quiet.

We got our Record Day release, what more did you expect?!?  :lol:  

Seriously though, September is only 3 months away...you’d think there would be some rumblings of something coming out....

46 minutes ago, Walter said:

We got our Record Day release, what more did you expect?!?  :lol:  

Seriously though, September is only 3 months away...you’d think there would be some rumblings of something coming out....

Yeah, I would've guessed an announcement around now for a September release.

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

Yeah, I would've guessed an announcement around now for a September release.

Well Robert did mention meeting with Jonesy and Jimmy so it might've been about the coming releases, at least somewhat. So there might be an announcement pretty soon.

On 12/20/2017 at 8:00 PM, kayley10 said:

We need Knebworth! The best officially recorded Led Zeppelin performance of all time in my opinion.

knebworth had SUPERLATIVE sound/amplification - the performances were good to  average, nothing great to my ears. I'd love a live compilation of the best from every year w/ minimum overdubbing. As we all have heard thanks to youtube, there is so much product out there  to be compiled/(re)produced. I'd like to hear more from this show as this performance of SIBLY alone would be worth it.

1 hour ago, Xolo1974 said:

I reckon the announcement will be September for a Christmas release 

That would be a pisser, we've all got other things to spend money on at xmas. I want it/whatever now  so I can get all my music purchase out of the way before I have to start thinking about what I'll be buying for other people (wife, kids, relatives etc). At least with a now purchase I can warn others what not to buy me so I don't end up with more duplicates. I've never got this released in time for the xmas market nonsense, why the saturation so late in the year...

Archived