Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

1 hour ago, paplbojo said:

I am in shock that there are so many people complaining about this. What the hell is going on here?

If Page releases live shows that have been professionally remastered, and I don't give a crap what shows they are, be it Tempe, I'd be ecstatic. Few real fans it seems. Just be happy and excited. Too much time on your hands?

Top three I hope get streamed, any show from:

Back to the clubs tour 1971

Copenhagen 1979

UK winter tour 1971

Here here!

3 hours ago, paplbojo said:

I am in shock that there are so many people complaining about this. What the hell is going on here?

If Page releases live shows that have been professionally remastered, and I don't give a crap what shows they are, be it Tempe, I'd be ecstatic. Few real fans it seems. Just be happy and excited. Too much time on your hands?

Copenhagen 1979

UK winter tour 1971

Agree, I will be happy regardless of format, I just want the damn stuff released.

I read the article and am quite glad to have new material this way. I'd LOVE to have physical product esp vinyl, but if this is what we get then so be it. I'll just have to run my iPad or computer through the Harmon Kardon amp.

One thing that wasn't mentioned (unless I missed it) will the streaming be free (possibly with adds) or will we have to pay for non-sponsored streams like you have to do on Pandora, etc? 

I also wonder, if the shows/streams will now be unedited - maybe its a cheaper digital royalty payment to artists they covered live but weren't included on the physical releases? Like It's Your Thing and For What Its Worth on the BBC Sessions and countless other WLL or HMMT Medleys. 

Either way, I'm looking forward to it for sure! 

8 hours ago, paplbojo said:

Copenhagen 1979

UK winter tour 1971

4 hours ago, IpMan said:

Agree, I will be happy regardless of format, I just want the damn stuff released.

Question 4members and Ipman: Is there anything we haven't heard?

1971 Or 1972, I would pay Megamoola to hear whether it be live-streamed, bootlegged, unreleased or not, but the 1975 stuff is all we usually get.

New release hoopla = 1975. I love Physical Graffiti. But when you are welcomed to dinner once a year and it's the same dish... 

This is the 50th Anniversary after all. Anniversary between Led Zeppelin and the fans of Led Zeppelin. 50 is a HUGE number for fans!

4 hours ago, Mook said:

Some new streaming stuff going on today (not unreleased music as such) & the band's Facebook page has a new '50th Anniversary' banner thing.

Maybe this is it starting now...

Yes, definitely starting. It seems clear that after the initial plan to start the 50th on the anniversary of their first live show (Sep 7) fell through, and they instead did the delayed release of The Song Remains the Same remaster on that date, they instead pegged the 50th's beginning to the beginning of the recording sessions for Zep I.

The only question now is, do we get an announcement of a new, previously unreleased album of some kind in the next couple of weeks, for November/holiday buying season release - or do we get a November announcement for a January 2019 release, to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the release of Zep I?

My money is on the latter, although of course I'd love to see something come out sooner.

I expect nothing, but I hope the live stuff mentioned comes out. It is a bit painful to see these anniversary dates come and go,

with serious fans then stating. some other significant date stuff may be released. Of course we can't forget that apart from

the live BBC dates/sessions Page will always go overboard on processing any live official release, even replacing some notes

from a solo or even adding a 2nd guitar(The Ocean, among others, from HTWWW).

What irks me much more( at least with boots you still have something to listen to) is that I simply don't believe there aren't

quite a bit more alt versions of songs, or songs with different arrangements guitar wise with experimental overdubs, etc.

I've said this many times, Jimmy is not a trained arranger/conductor etc. like JPJ, he has to physically hear an arrangement,

play parts and then overdubs( If he wants)), and then assess the results from the board. Now to say that Jimmy just trashed

the previous overdubs, just recorded over them, or just told Eddie Kramer or whomever was the co-engineer, Hey, do whatever

you want with those alt takes, throw them out if you wish, is preposterous. I will admit, songs like Stairway, Kashmir, but not

too many others, there is a lot of boot stuff that has ample messing around " stuff ". Of course some songs came together

very quickly for the band in the studio, they only did two or three takes, tops, so some songs just didn't have much variation. And JIMMY, he's lost a lot of credibility and respect downgrading the Zep stock. Stlii love him, but not what he says'.

• 1 month later...

Very interesting, but I really don't think there's any way in the world a Zep reissue gets impacted because of a Yardbirds release.

The release itself looks interesting, although it's a shame it's Repertoire as their mastering of their Yardbirds titles (along with many other titles) has been atrocious.

16 minutes ago, Mook said:

This thread is almost a year old.

I think it's time to forget about it to be honest, I don't think we're getting a 'holy grail' live album.

Sad but true, i suspect the book was it . The zero promotion and interest 

the other two showed in it, tells you all you need to know about the current state of play in the Zep camp.

A great pity when you consider what other bands have done around their fiftieth ( for one recording!!!)

anniversary .

54 minutes ago, Mook said:

This thread is almost a year old.

I think it's time to forget about it to be honest, I don't think we're getting a 'holy grail' live album.

I think you’re right mate. Would have heard about it by now

I'm as cynical as they come, but next year is the 50th of the first album release. I do think there will be a worthwhile live release. Maybe not Holy Grail , but substantial. Even if it's just the streaming thing. But I think there will be something special released. 

Really though, what's still left in the vaults live-wise other than Earl's Court '75 and Japan '71 - the latter of which Jimmy has definitively ruled out as a release in the foreseeable future - to warrant a major new release, for the 50th anniversary or otherwise?

It will be interesting to finally discover where the forthcoming live album will be from, 'cause I'm at a loss as to what it might be, unless it's from a heretofore unknown multi-track that Jimmy only recently obtained or one he hadn't disclosed the existence of all these years... I'm sure dollars to donuts it isn't Southampton '73 and I never believed the recent rumors of '68 material, so I'm stumped.

Guess we'll (hopefully) find out come the new year...

4 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

Really though, what's still left in the vaults live-wise other than Earl's Court '75 and Japan '71 - the latter of which Jimmy has definitively ruled out as a release in the foreseeable future - to warrant a major new release, for the 50th anniversary or otherwise?

. I'm sure dollars to donuts it isn't Southampton '73 and I never believed the recent rumors of '68 material, so I'm stumped.

I think portions of Southampton '73 will be involved in these releases. I have a feeling that the quick mix of this show that we've all heard does not properly convey whats on that tape. Yeah, Plants struggling, but he still has his moments. The guitar tone's a bit thin but nothing that a little re-amping can't easily fix.

Anyone ever notice how the first 18 secs of Southampton sounds ambient and crisp until someone hits the "sound like shit button" half way thru Bonham's intro?

9 hours ago, The Old Hermit said:

It will be interesting to finally discover where the forthcoming live album will be from, 'cause I'm at a loss as to what it might be, unless it's from a heretofore unknown multi-track that Jimmy only recently obtained or one he hadn't disclosed the existence of all these years... I'm sure dollars to donuts it isn't Southampton '73 and I never believed the recent rumors of '68 material, so I'm stumped.

Guess we'll (hopefully) find out come the new year...

I'm still betting on a previously unknown Montreux recording. No particular reason, except Page's comment about the recording showing "a really different view of the band".

If you take his words at face value and give him the benefit of the doubt he must have a couple shows up his sleeve or he wouldn't really have anything new to release over the next ten years.    I mean unless he's already set it up so that the catalog is remastered again in 5 years and again in ten maybe there wont be any new live stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Mook said:

Interesting comment in here about an upcoming project involving archive releases...

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8491221/jason-bonham-robert-plant-led-zeppelin-reunio

"I can imagine the celebrating of Led Zeppelin IV will be a big one."

I bet Mr. Page is saving something good for that one. 

Archived