Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

6 hours ago, seaweed gate said:

Tired of reading those kind of ever-present comments. Completely lacks of sensibility imho. 

Percy can always declare in the press he's not his brother's keeper,  I think it's quite clear in Jimmy's mind and for everyone lucid enough nothing equals Robert's voice and presence alongside Jimmy's guitar. 

Jimmy wants the best for his music and the best IS Robert Plant. Period. 

So better nothing than anything else. The equation is quite simple. For lack of being blissful. We're not in the eighties or in the nineties anymore. The tribulations can't be the same.

I think the frustration and negativity stems from the fact Jimmy has been claiming for the last few years that he "should be seen playing" and is working on things etc. It's all said very noncommittal but he's led fans on and delivered nothing solo wise. It'd be better if he either declared he's retired or just said nothing. 

2 hours ago, sixpense said:

We are all entitled to our own beliefs.

Poor Tom was recorded with vocals at Olympic Studios June 5th, 1970. No vocals were added or enhanced at SOL in 1982. The song as it appears on CODA was exactly as it was recorded on June 5th, 1970.

That is not a belief, that is fact.

11 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Poor Tom was recorded with vocals at Olympic Studios June 5th, 1970. No vocals were added or enhanced at SOL in 1982. The song as it appears on CODA was exactly as it was recorded on June 5th, 1970.

That is not a belief, that is fact.

Yup.

”Walter’s Walk” remains the anomaly of the Zeppelin catalog with full vocals being written and recorded after bonzo’s death.  The song sounds closer to Pictures At Eleven than anything else, IMO.  I still like it.  Especially when they incorporated it into the Dazed and Confused jam.

I've mentioned this before and one thing you need to go on are the teasers you get over the internet and elsewhere.  That is some songs that get released on bootlegs and such prior to any of these releases and it seems to always happen. 

The first box set back in 1990 a lot of things appeared on the market like the "Studio Daze" stuff as well as Jennings Farm Blues.  Also including things from III, All My Love and No Quarter.  The box set II "Baby Come On Home" and other things from Zep I was out there.  Around 1995-6 a complete WLL as well as the rest of the BBC was out there.   Years later includes the rehearsals for the O2 Concert.   I think a tight lid was put on most of HTWWW with the exception of Moby Dick as it was out there within a year of the release.  WIAWSNB and DD were on Studio Daze back in the late 80's.

For the album remasters there was a lot out there with the Bonzo drum tracks for ITTOD and some things from Zep II and III.

Now to the present for the 2018 release which I'm sure will be live do we have anything yet?  Perhaps!  A few months ago with the soundboard mix of Black Dog from Japan in 1971.  Is this a possibility?  Maybe!  We shall find out as there could be more teasers to come.  We shall see.  There is just too many coincidences regarding the various releases over the years and what becomes available out there.  Just the way I see it.  I'm sure some of you may see it this way as well!

IMHO, it's a comprehensive live release that makes most sense for the 50th anniversary.  That's what Atlantic Records wants Page to do for this.  Just remains if he will comply with their request or do his own thing and what he wants.  Page could always put out an individual concert (or set of concert releases sometime after with EC 1975 from the five shows or Japan 1971) or anything else worthy of release).  Who knows and your guess is as good as mine.  Just wait until it gets closer to the anniversary.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Yup.

”Walter’s Walk” remains the anomaly of the Zeppelin catalog with full vocals being written and recorded after bonzo’s death.  The song sounds closer to Pictures At Eleven than anything else, IMO.  I still like it.  Especially when they incorporated it into the Dazed and Confused jam.

I love this track so much. I suspect Jimmy censored Robert's lyrics by using delay effects,  making the lyrics unintelligible. I believe there to be a narrative thread that connects this track with other tracks throughout Robert's career. For example  (IMO) Rude World, For your Life... and before the guilt set in, Celebration Day. " Overlook me now, but you cant skip JAMES.. I'M sorry about that" -Rude World/Page Plant/ Rainier Patek comp

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Yup.

I prefer the instrumental bonus track version. I like the song but don't care for Plant's added vocals. I like the odd bars of the riff,  and Bonzo is just devastating. 

25 minutes ago, LurksReturnington said:

I love this track so much. I suspect Jimmy censored Robert's lyrics by using delay effects,  making the lyrics unintelligible. I believe there to be a narrative thread that connects this track with other tracks throughout Robert's career. For example  (IMO) Rude World, For your Life... and before the guilt set in, Celebration Day. " Overlook me now, but you cant skip JAMES.. I'M sorry about that" -Rude World/Page Plant/ Rainier Patek comp

What do you mean “before the guilt set in, Celebration day”

6 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

I think the frustration and negativity stems from the fact Jimmy has been claiming for the last few years that he "should be seen playing" and is working on things etc. It's all said very noncommittal but he's led fans on and delivered nothing solo wise. It'd be better if he either declared he's retired or just said nothing. 

Or perhaps it would be better if Jimmy Page said plainly his truth, namely he doesn't want another singer on his new or past material.

That's the main reason why ten years ago they didn't carry on after the 02 show,  after all. They were right.

But by saying so Jimmy would transfer considerable pressure upon Robert's shoulders (it's already there). So it's obvious in my mind Jimmy doesn't want to alienate his relationship to Robert. Preferring keeping it to himself. At his own risk of looking like someone who is not reliable. Which is simply not the case. There's a sacrificial aspect to that in my eyes. And the proof of an enlightened wisdom. 

Can we be sure it will be a "music" release, either audio or video? Couldn't Page have meant the book release that was announced yesterday?

Don't want to get my hope too high and then we "only" get a book instead of a new concert release.

If it will be a concert, please anything from the 1968-1973 period, however I'd also welcome an Earls Court Video. I doubt the hardcore bootleg listeners would like a concert release, because it will very likely be butchered by Page.

7 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I prefer the instrumental bonus track version. I like the song but don't care for Plant's added vocals. I like the odd bars of the riff,  and Bonzo is just devastating. 

I agree with you here.  To my ears the drums on the studio version sound like they were recording for the ITTOD sessions, but I know it was reportedly  recorded back in ‘72.  But much of sounds like it could’ve been ‘78 or even later, given Jimmy’s guitar sound.  Whatever, I like it. Plus the mystique of it makes me like it even more.

I hope we get a compilation of Japan ‘71.  Peak performances abound during that tour. 

7 hours ago, porgie66 said:

I agree with you here.  To my ears the drums on the studio version sound like they were recording for the ITTOD sessions, but I know it was reportedly  recorded back in ‘72.  But much of sounds like it could’ve been ‘78 or even later, given Jimmy’s guitar sound.  Whatever, I like it. Plus the mystique of it makes me like it even more.

I hope we get a compilation of Japan ‘71.  Peak performances abound during that tour. 

^  ^

Of course he is....in fact, he's 'banking' on it.

I think we're going to get at least one complete show on audio.  The other release will be a live compilation with material from every era.  That package will include some video.

41 minutes ago, Bong-Man said:

^  ^

Of course he is....in fact, he's 'banking' on it.

I think we're going to get at least one complete show on audio.  The other release will be a live compilation with material from every era.  That package will include some video.

I think it will be a methodical drip drop release paced out in a similar manner that the recent remaster/companion discs were dropped at, but in a shorter time frame. Plus, throw in assorted leaks of things that may have been deemed unworthy of 'official release' but will strategically be used to ratchet up the tension. 

I'm a monkey

1 hour ago, blindwillie127 said:

throw in assorted leaks of things that may have been deemed unworthy of 'official release' but will strategically be used to ratchet up the tension.

I've thought for a while that LZ stuff would escape onto the 'net in 2018 as teasers to get us going. Page well knows we'll respond to such things with all the restraint of a half starved junkyard dog, to adapt the animal / food metaphor... And I still bet that one of these will be a tape of the first rehearsal. I offer no evidence for this, just my fantasy...

On 12/21/2017 at 9:44 AM, 76229 said:

Several different versions of this, but it might have been JPJ said it at the session in early 1968 for "No Introduction Necessary" by Keith DeGroot, which I've seen written somewhere, probably Mick Wall. (Stephen Davis' thing about it being at the "Hurdy Gurdy Man" sessions can be discounted as it's now been confirmed that Page wasn't there, by JPJ himself). Those sessions are on YouTube if you search for No introduction necessary + jimmy page.

Donovan says Jimmy Page was at the sessions. 

On 12/21/2017 at 7:23 AM, bluecongo said:

There is a lot of video that remains in the vault.  The only question is whether Jimmy considers it good enough quality to release.  

Dallas Pop Fest 69

Zep 2 in studio footage

Bath 70 footage

Iceland 70 footage

Montreaux 72 footage

Pittsburgh 73 footage

Earls Court 5/23/75 

Pontiac 77 Video 

knebworth rehearsal video 

its even rumored Zurich 1980 has pro shot video 

sooooo yeah 

Yeah, but a lot of it would probably have to be baked due to deterioration.

18 minutes ago, Strider said:

He does, and there's a quote from Page saying the same thing from circa 1969. Here's what JPJ had to say though, he actually sent a letter to one of the fanzines to clear it up, bearing in mind he was the booker as well as the MD,

" TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I have been contacted by Clem Cattini with regard to Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man. I would like to confirm that the musicians on the record were as follows: Donovan, Accoustic Guitar; John Paul Jones, Arrangement/Musical Director and Bass Guitar; Alan Parker, Lead (electric) Guitar; Clem Cattini, Drums. No other musicians were involved in this session
The session was produced by Mickie Most and engineered by Eddie Kramer.

John Paul Jones

London 05/2005 ."

7 hours ago, Strider said:

He also says that Jimmy and John Bonham played on the track which i’m pretty sure they didn’t, I think I’ll go with JPJ’s account posted above. 

One thing to remember though is that “hurdy gurdy man” was not just the name of a song but an album as well. I think some confusion arises from reports of pages involvement in the Lp sessions and people assume it was the song.

On 21/12/2017 at 12:00 PM, kayley10 said:

We need Knebworth! The best officially recorded Led Zeppelin performance of all time in my opinion.

Are u nuts? U telling me knebworth is better than the TSRTS or albert hall?

It's a great set list, I'll give u that, and the 4th has some good points, but it's largely a great band past its peak.

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Are u nuts? U telling me knebworth is better than the TSRTS or albert hall?

It's a great set list, I'll give u that, and the 4th has some good points, but it's largely a great band past its peak.

Not at all, they were heavier than ever. Kashmir from the official DVD is enough evidence to prove this. Achilles Last Stand!!! Ten Years Gone... The list goes on and on. The Song Remains The Same is brilliant but I prefer the later albums (HOTH onwards) so Knebworth is perfect.

Archived