Jimmy Page confirms 2018 release(s)

Mook

On 12/23/2017 at 6:15 PM, Cecil. said:

Well it looks like I will be hoping and saving next year.

Hoping it is something good and saving just in case Jimmy is in charge of the pricing...!

The Photographer's Led Zeppelin was $39.99 when it first came out. The Jimmy Page book was what, $200? So this one will be pushing $500 probably. His grandkids must really need some money.

On 12/23/2017 at 7:10 PM, Boleskinner said:

The second Copenhagen show is one of my all time favourite zep performances.. Page somehow refinds the fluency of 73 for one night and we have the later period set list. However, it's a one-off anomaly in the post 77 period. All the other shows from the 79-80 period have their moments, but are u trying to tell they were as good as 68-73? For various, well documented reasons, the band was in decline.

Personally, I don't think anything the band did post-73 can be compared to the band 69-73, mainly because of Rob's voice. Sure, Jimmy had some magical moments like early 75, the Forum shows in 77, and Copenhagen 79, but Plant's voice had already changed to where he no longer sounded like himself. He'd might as well have been a different singer altogether (That's harsh, I know, but his old voice defined the band). He sounded better in 79 mainly because he learned his limits with his voice. I think it took him six years to learn how to sing in a different style. Page was never as fluid or driven with his playing post-73. Sure, he could solo like a mother, but if you pay attention you'll notice he's not constructing the solos as ingeniously as he did in 72 and 73. He's just cramming as many notes as he can into every break without really knowing where he's going with it. It's like he was slightly removed from the music for some reason (Maybe heroin? Lol).

Like I said, there are highlights post-73, but to me those are two different bands. It just wasn't the same after Rob lost his high range and Jimmy ended up out of his mind.

1 hour ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The Photographer's Led Zeppelin was $39.99 when it first came out. The Jimmy Page book was what, $200? So this one will be pushing $500 probably. His grandkids must really need some money.

I think the Federal Minimum Wage around that time was roughly $4.25 an hour.  Plus factor in Inflation and comparing price of Gold of that time too

6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Personally, I don't think anything the band did post-73 can be compared to the band 69-73, mainly because of Rob's voice. Sure, Jimmy had some magical moments like early 75, the Forum shows in 77, and Copenhagen 79, but Plant's voice had already changed to where he no longer sounded like himself. He'd might as well have been a different singer altogether (That's harsh, I know, but his old voice defined the band). He sounded better in 79 mainly because he learned his limits with his voice. I think it took him six years to learn how to sing in a different style. Page was never as fluid or driven with his playing post-73. Sure, he could solo like a mother, but if you pay attention you'll notice he's not constructing the solos as ingeniously as he did in 72 and 73. He's just cramming as many notes as he can into every break without really knowing where he's going with it. It's like he was slightly removed from the music for some reason (Maybe heroin? Lol).

Like I said, there are highlights post-73, but to me those are two different bands. It just wasn't the same after Rob lost his high range and Jimmy ended up out of his mind.

Are you making your statements from just official and unofficial audio and videos, or did you ever see LZ live? I saw them live in 70, 71, 71, 75, & 77. Robert's voice was NEVER an issue to me experiencing them live. It was LZ !!! And RP, was as much RP post '73 as he was pre '73, in spirit, body, and soul.

3 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

If it is Earls Court, it will be good to hear a multi track of Kashmir being played with the Les Paul. 

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

I'd love to hear the Kashmir from the 1 EC gig that is really slowed down and sounds extra broody and heavy in proper multi-track or very good quality board.

IF, the EC "Kashmir" can be made to sound as good and dynamic as the O2 recording, then I'd be for that. Visually, the EC show's video is from video fed to screens, which is very tiring to watch for any length of time. Plus, I personally don;t think that LZ were as on top of their game by the time of the EC shows as they were by March of '75. By EC, P&P looked dissipated. Same for the '77 Seattle gig. You can over-indulge enough in whatever to not be on top of your musical game.

3 hours ago, The Rover said:

Are you making your statements from just official and unofficial audio and videos, or did you ever see LZ live? I saw them live in 70, 71, 71, 75, & 77. Robert's voice was NEVER an issue to me experiencing them live. It was LZ !!! And RP, was as much RP post '73 as he was pre '73, in spirit, body, and soul.

*Eyeroll*

Well, that's just like your opinion, man.

5 hours ago, The Rover said:

Problem is, the releases will be audio or video, not a time machine.

Attending a gig has so many intangible factors that cannot possibly be transferred onto 44 kHz.

You can't compare a concert experience in your youth versus an archive live release, 40-odd years later.

2 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Problem is, the releases will be audio or video, not a time machine.

Attending a gig has so many intangible factors that cannot possibly be transferred onto 44 kHz.

You can't compare a concert experience in your youth versus an archive live release, 40-odd years later.

You also can't say Robert's voice sounded like it did pre-75 just because you're at the show or that Page wasn't on heroin post-73. That's my point.

22 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Personally, I don't think anything the band did post-73 can be compared to the band 69-73, mainly because of Rob's voice. Sure, Jimmy had some magical moments like early 75, the Forum shows in 77, and Copenhagen 79, but Plant's voice had already changed to where he no longer sounded like himself. He'd might as well have been a different singer altogether (That's harsh, I know, but his old voice defined the band). He sounded better in 79 mainly because he learned his limits with his voice. I think it took him six years to learn how to sing in a different style.

I agree, but I'd argue he had learned a new way of singing by '77 rather than '79. There's little wrong with his voice in the '77 bootlegs I've heard

On 12/29/2017 at 7:07 AM, gibsonfan159 said:

You also can't say Robert's voice sounded like it did pre-75 just because you're at the show or that Page wasn't on heroin post-73. That's my point.

Well, I never said Robert's voice sounded like it did pre-75. You inferred that, I guess. My point is that I was never disappointed that Robert was not singing the way he did on record in 1968. I never even noticed as I experienced Led Zeppelin in the flesh.

Which is to say, I'll never get the two dimensional whiners about Robert's voice.

As someone who's experienced Led Zeppelin in 4D...

I roll my eyes at your 2D nitpicking.

:fisheat:

10 hours ago, The Rover said:

Well, I never said Robert's voice sounded like it did pre-75. You inferred that, I guess. My point is that I was never disappointed that Robert was not singing the way he did on record in 1968. I never even noticed as I experienced Led Zeppelin in the flesh.

Which is to say, I'll never get the two dimensional whiners about Robert's voice.

Damn Right. I saw them April 10th, 1977. Best show of my life and I have seen hundreds. Planty's voice was close to 72' level, very, very strong. :gimmefive:

Guess I'm in the minority but I'd take Plants voice in 79 and later any day over the early 70s. Way more mature and developed. 

Shrieking high notes isn't what make a great vocalist. 

Now back on topic - my vote is for Earls Court, audio and video! 

20 hours ago, The Rover said:

No, I never inferred that. I was simply reiterating my original point, which you missed entirely. And you still are.

Why are you arguing over personal preference anyway? I originally said that I consider pre-75 Zep and post-73 Zep as incomparable to each other. "I", meaning me. Not you. And stop trying to pull the "I was there" shit to win an argument over subjective preference. Your fond memories don't change facts. The facts being Robert could no longer sing in the same register. Unless you being there magically made his vocal chords time travel.

What is the estimated date of the first rehearsal and interested to know if people think any musical releases will coincided with that, or if we will get staggered releases throughout the year?

I expect any major musical release to be timed in the run up to Xmas to maximise profit, so unfortunately we might be waiting until November for the "mother lode" live chronological box set 😀

36 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

What is the estimated date of the first rehearsal and interested to know if people think any musical releases will coincided with that, or if we will get staggered releases throughout the year?

I expect any major musical release to be timed in the run up to Xmas to maximise profit, so unfortunately we might be waiting until November for the "mother lode" live chronological box set 😀

I think it will be staggered releases throughout the year as live albums generally are for core fans. With this being their 50th Anniversary, I’m thinking the book release early,  a record store day release (maybe a special vinyl ep with remainder studio tracks like Fire, Swan Song, etc) in April, something cool like a teaser (‘68-‘80) live release in the summer and then hopefully the beginning of mother load (individual live sets) starting in September (Zeptember).

R😎🎸👍

On 1/1/2018 at 12:28 AM, IpMan said:

Damn Right. I saw them April 10th, 1977. Best show of my life and I have seen hundreds. Planty's voice was close to 72' level, very, very strong. :gimmefive:

:goodpost:  Yes, how we perceived the shows we saw, Trumps all recorded versions, and any critic reviews. Every Time ! !

16 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

No, I never inferred that. I was simply reiterating my original point, which you missed entirely. And you still are.

Why are you arguing over personal preference anyway? I originally said that I consider pre-75 Zep and post-73 Zep as incomparable to each other. "I", meaning me. Not you. And stop trying to pull the "I was there" shit to win an argument over subjective preference. Your fond memories don't change facts. The facts being Robert could no longer sing in the same register. Unless you being there magically made his vocal chords time travel.

Well, I think that being there, was a multi-dimensional experience, where Robert, and Jimmy and JPJ, & Bonzo, were there playing in real time, And, at the same time, from all of their prior performances...

:elvis2:

Archived