The Era of Led Zeppelin

McSeven

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, corduroyg said:

I to IV (early)

HOTH and PG (middle)

Presence and ITTOD (late)

I would agree. I'd also look at it this way.

I-Physical Graffiti (so many different sounds, textures and vibes yet all very relative at the same time, also their most creative and energetic period).

Then I'd piece Presence with ITTOD, which I consider their closing or their waning, I'd say this is because things become a bit more unfocused or less cohesive in terms of collective vision or effort. It doesn't mean they aren't good, they were just changing for various reasons that have been discussed. It seems that prior to this the band was all on the same page, I think that started to change (not dramatically) with presence, and then even more so in regards to ITTOD. It doesn't mean they didn't work well together, I think like I said some of them started to change in terms of vision and what they wanted their musical goals to be as artists due to various circumstances.

16 hours ago, nemophilist said:

I would agree. I'd also look at it this way.

I-Physical Graffiti (so many different sounds, textures and vibes yet all very relative at the same time, also their most creative and energetic period).

Then I'd piece Presence with ITTOD, which I consider their closing or their waning, I'd say this is because things become a bit more unfocused or less cohesive in terms of collective vision or effort. It doesn't mean they aren't good, they were just changing for various reasons that have been discussed. It seems that prior to this the band was all on the same page, I think that started to change (not dramatically) with presence, and then even more so in regards to ITTOD. It doesn't mean they didn't work well together, I think like I said some of them started to change in terms of vision and what they wanted their musical goals to be as artists due to various circumstances.

yup, i definitely dont lump presence in with houses and pg, even though presence came out only a year after pg. robert's car accident after '75 tour really started the downward spiral. i dont think presence was quite as consistent as their earlier albums and it just had a different feel. 

1 to 4...the rise to the top

PG and Presence....Zep at their peak

HOTH and CODA...hard to place these. I love CODA and several HOTH cuts. But I consider them fillers (albiet fantastic ones) between the eras

Purposely left off ITTOD....to me it was basically Plant/Jones getting 'artsy' and not Page/Plant/Jones/Bonham. I just dont like it. But, since it IS a Zep album lets just say if PG and Presence was the peak, and 1-4 the climb up, then ITTOD is their plunge from the top, with CODA as a finale  showing us what they once were.

Archived