Ross62

• 1 month later...

Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page has opened up about his life and times in Led Zeppelin in a special new issue of Bauer Media’s Planet Rock magazine. The title, available on Friday (February 16), is set to publish four collector’s covers to mark the 50th anniversary of the iconic rock band.

In the world exclusive interview – part of a 22-page feature, including a new photo shoot - band leader Page, 74, addresses whether or not he thinks the band would ever reform to play a gig.

“I very much doubt it,” Page told Planet Rock. “You've just got to face facts. We've gone past the tenth anniversary of the 02 [show], where we managed to do one serious concert. That's the only thing that we've done for such a long time, so I very much doubt we'll do anything else. I really think the time has gone.”

In the interview, Page also reveals that there'll be a brand new Led Zeppelin live album released at some point this year and says he foresees that there'll be 'new' Led Zeppelin product emerging over the next 10 years.

“I can't give the game away, but there's a recording that’s another multi-track that we'll release,” said Page. “It's so different to all the other things that are out there. It's another view compared to How The West Was Won or The Song Remains The Same. I'm looking forward to people hearing that. There's a lot of stuff to come out, a number of releases. I'd like to say that they'll be coming out over the next 10 years. There's more to come for sure.”

Speaking about the forthcoming Led Zeppelin by Led Zeppelin book, due in October, he added: “I'm really pleased that we're all doing it collectively because there are so many other people doing books. There's about ten that I know of that are coming, which is pretty ridiculous! It will be really good to have an authoritative book, where the band are actually contributing to it rather than being ripped off.”

14 hours ago, Ross62 said:

“I can't give the game away, but there's a recording that’s another multi-track that we'll release,” said Page. “It's so different to all the other things that are out there. It's another view compared to How The West Was Won or The Song Remains The Same. I'm looking forward to people hearing that. There's a lot of stuff to come out, a number of releases. I'd like to say that they'll be coming out over the next 10 years. There's more to come for sure.”

Let the guessing begin. Could it be Earl's Court? Certainly a strong candidate. 

I would love a full-length Earls Court audio release, and aside from Japan '71, Earls Court would be #1 on my wish list for full-length concert releases later this year.

However, I am wondering how folks are getting Earls Court from Page's comments - "it's so different to all the other things that are out there. It's another view..." - doesn't that describe Japan, or Southampton, far more accurately than Earls Court?

• 7 months later...
On 2/25/2018 at 10:57 AM, tmtomh said:

I would love a full-length Earls Court audio release, and aside from Japan '71, Earls Court would be #1 on my wish list for full-length concert releases later this year.

However, I am wondering how folks are getting Earls Court from Page's comments - "it's so different to all the other things that are out there. It's another view..." - doesn't that describe Japan, or Southampton, far more accurately than Earls Court?

Something "so different" " another view"  to me would be '77 . Or maybe Japan '71 although BBC '71 is pretty similar. I wonder if an early show from the first year would be more like it, although there is ample representation on the BBC sessions as well. Blueberry Hill would be something a little less predictable. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/24/2018 at 8:14 AM, LedZed66 said:

Fantastic interview, thanks for posting.

I think Jimmy was irritated for a second by the funny question about The Golden Stairs painting by E. Burne-Jones. Stairs with girls? Oh, must have something to do with Led Zeppelin

800px-Edward_Burne-Jones_The_Golden_Stairs.thumb.jpg.a6bea20a15ae2058bb57a0e023d2f358.jpg

I can understand that as the question was a bit irritatingly "fangirly", I mean, quoting the lyrics? Cheesy. Good interview otherwise though.

8 hours ago, nirvana said:

And when the BBC interviewer asks the inevitable question of a Zeppelin re-union and tour....Jimmy

simply replies "No."

That's it folks - NO tour or re-union, no more Zeppelin, end of story.

I'd like to think so, but as soon as a surviving member says anything remotely optimistic the speculation train will pull out of the station again. Fewer riders with each passing year though.

6 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I'd like to think so, but as soon as a surviving member says anything remotely optimistic the speculation train will pull out of the station again. Fewer riders with each passing year though.

For once Mr Jones i wholeheartedly agree .It's done and frankly i think 

they barely managed the book. At this point i doubt anything else will occur 

release wise either .

15 hours ago, nirvana said:

And when the BBC interviewer asks the inevitable question of a Zeppelin re-union and tour....Jimmy

simply replies "No."

That's it folks - NO tour or re-union, no more Zeppelin, end of story.

I listened to it live and thought there it is, straight from the horses mouth -no reunion of any sort, no more realeases no anything else Zep related —he’s done. 

Jimmy Page has reflected on the year Led Zeppelin formed (Rebecca Cabage/Invision/AP)1

Jimmy Page has reflected on the year Led Zeppelin formed (Rebecca Cabage/Invision/AP)

By Associated Press Reporter

October 30 2018 3:32 PM

•  

•  
  •  

Guitar guru Jimmy Page said his life was like a roller-coaster ride as he looked back to the formation of Led Zeppelin 50 years ago.

Page said he was bursting so much with creative inspiration at the time that he felt compelled to pick up a brush and use his skills from art school to decorate his favourite instrument, a 1959 Fender Telecaster, with a psychedelic beast.

He calls the guitar “the Excalibur”. He wielded it through the wildly eventful year of 1968, when his old band the Yardbirds crashed, and his new band Led Zeppelin was born just two months later.

“My whole life was moving so fast at that point,” said Page, now 74.

Page said he had Led Zeppelin’s sound, and first songs, fully formed in his mind before the Yardbirds were even done.

“I just knew what way to go,” he said. “It was in my instinct.”

ipanews_0544f7f9-0865-4a5e-9468-2dcd3a9969ad_embedded1394072
Jimmy Page has reflected on the year Led Zeppelin formed (Rebecca Cabage/Invision/AP)

He found his first ally in singer Robert Plant, whom he invited to his house to thumb through records and talk music.

Page said he used an unlikely bit of folkie inspiration – Joan Baez – to show Plant the sound he wanted, playing her recording of the song Babe I’m Gonna Leave You, and telling him to emulate the way she sang the top line of the song.

Zeppelin would put the tune on their first album.

Page still marvels at how fast the whole thing took off after Plant brought on drummer John Bonham and Page pulled in his friend John Paul Jones to play bass.

“The whole journey of Led Zeppelin and the rise of Led Zeppelin, each tour was just extraordinary, and the growth and the respect and love of the band, and the people that were flooding to see us,” Page said.

The first record also included Dazed And Confused, with Page famously using a violin bow on the guitar, which he played on every electric song on the record.

The guitar had been a cherished gift that guitarist Jeff Beck had given Page to thank him for recommending Beck for a job in the Yardbirds, which had brought a handsome payday.“He’d bought a Corvette Stingray, and came roaring up my driveway with it,” Page remembered. “He said, ‘This is yours’. I was absolutely thrilled to bits. It was given to me with so much affection.”

Page said he made immediate and intense use of the instrument, and wanted to “consecrate” it, so he went at it with paints that were used at the time for psychedelic posters, and summoned the dragon.

Page later left the guitar behind at his home in England on an early US tour with Led Zeppelin in 1969. He would come to regret it.

When he returned he found that a ceramicist friend who had been serving as his house-sitter had painted over the dragon in his own mosaic style as a “gift” for Page.

“It was a disaster,” he said.

Page angrily stripped off all the paint and it sat in storage for decades.

Flash forward 50 years, and Page was assembling a book for the band’s anniversary, and the dragon guitar kept popping up in pictures.

Page felt that maybe it was time to bring it back to life. He worked with a graphic artist who helped illustrate the book, using photos to repaint the guitar, and recreate its old look.

He loved the result so much that he approached Fender, and the guitar maker happily signed on to make an anniversary edition for the public.

“It’s absolutely identical,” Page said. “You wouldn’t see any difference. If anything, the colours were just slightly richer.”

Four different versions of the guitar will be released next year.

Along with the book, the instruments are a tribute to the band’s 50-year legacy.

Asked what kind of gift one might get for his bandmates for such a milestone, Page said: “I might give them a paintbrush, and the body of a guitar, and see if they can do something with it."    

Archived