How The West Was Won To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

sam_webmaster

• Administrators
lz_htwww_fb_cover_828x315_v1.jpg

Led Zeppelin Live Album How The West Was Won
To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

Including The Album’s Debut Release On Vinyl And Blu-ray Audio,
Along With Super Deluxe Boxed Set, CD, And Digital Versions

On September 7, 1968, John Bonham, John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, and Robert Plant first took the stage together in Gladsaxe, Denmark. Then billed as “The New Yardbirds,” the band would assemble in the studio for the first time later that month to start recording their debut album as Led Zeppelin, and rock ‘n’ roll would never be the same again. Before the band’s 50th Anniversary celebration officially begins in September, Led Zeppelin will continue their reissue campaign with a new edition of their celebrated live album HOW THE WEST WAS WON, originally released in 2003, featuring newly remastered audio, which was done under the supervision of Jimmy Page. Details of additional Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary releases and events will be announced later this year.

HOW THE WEST WAS WON will be released on March 23 in multiple formats from Atlantic/Swan Song, including the first ever vinyl and Blu-ray Audio editions (with the Blu-ray containing hi-res 5.1 surround sound).

·    CD - Remastered audio on three CDs

·    Vinyl - Remastered audio on four 180-gram vinyl LPs.

·    Blu-Ray Audio - 96kHz/24 bit 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio Surround) and stereo mixes (PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo).

·    Streaming & Digital Download – Remastered audio.

·    Super Deluxe Boxed Set

o    Remastered audio on three CDs and four 180-gram vinyl LPs.
o    DVD of album in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and PCM Stereo, plus photo gallery.
o    High-def download card of all stereo audio content at 96kHz/24 bit.
o    A book filled with rare and previously unpublished photos of the band at each of the concert locations, plus memorabilia and ephemera.
o    High-quality print of the original album cover, the first 30,000 of which will be individually numbered.

Originally released in 2003, HOW THE WEST WAS WON highlights the best performances from Led Zeppelin’s legendary concerts at the Los Angeles Forum and Long Beach Arena on June 25 and 27, 1972. Melded together and sequenced to replicate a single concert from beginning to end, the three-CD and four-LP collections capture the band at the height of its formidable powers. Standouts include a 25-plus minute version of “Dazed And Confused” and a 21-minute medley based around “Whole Lotta Love.” The performances also capture the band introducing songs from its then-unreleased album Houses Of The Holy, which would be released nine months later.

###

atlantic_swansong_warner_ledzeppelin-com

3cd.jpg?itok=o8BJ9c8U
sdb.jpg?itok=B5I803ST
vinyl.jpg?itok=mjXK5w5x
br.jpg?itok=YFzMq-Uk
LZ_WestWasWon-digital_b.jpg?itok=Vq48c6E

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/news/live-album-how-west-was-won-be-reissued-new-remastering-supervised-jimmy-page-1261051

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

Whole Lotta Love cut by 2 minutes.

For the 75th anniversary of Led Zeppelin, HTWWW will be whittled down to a single album.

So yeah, not the most exciting news but the real 50th Anniversary goods will be coming later in the year.

38 minutes ago, Strider said:

For the 75th anniversary of Led Zeppelin, HTWWW will be whittled down to a single album.

So yeah, not the most exciting news but the real 50th Anniversary goods will be coming later in the year.

Seriously though, why is this even being released if there are no missing tracks added and WLL is actually reduced?? What is the point? $$? (Rhetorical question, I know)

1 hour ago, porgie66 said:

Seriously though, why is this even being released if there are no missing tracks added and WLL is actually reduced?? What is the point? $$? (Rhetorical question, I know)

I'm happy to get this on vinyl and hopefully an upgraded 5.1 on the Blu-ray. The 5.1 on the dvd was underwhelming.

Not surprised about this release but won't be getting it as no extra tracks and there are a few JP could include without having to pay residual fees for cover songs.  Those include TY, CB and Tangerine.  Who knows things could change but probably not.  Looking forward to the Fall when hoping some great stuff will be released!

5 hours ago, tmtomh said:

Whole Lotta Love cut by 2 minutes.

This actually has me angered. I want to give the lads my money, but not for something that is musically inferior than what we already have.

Also, Sam, I don't think the links are working--they all opened iTunes.

Ridiculous! I'm not buying any more of this repackaging!  I bought every album on record, I bought the CD releases, the "box set", and the "deluxe" remasters! 

I have learned my lesson, only free downloaded bootlegs for me, Mr. Page has enough of my money...

I thought the 2 minute cut in WLL was because the album will be appearing on vinyl for the first time and they didn't want a 23+ minute-long side (along with that, I'd assumed Dazed would be split between two sides, as it is on the 2007 reissue of The Song Remains the Same).

But based on an LP-version tracklisting that's shown up at Bull Moose - http://www.bullmoose.com/p/26761137/led-zeppelin-how-the-west-was-won-4-180-gram-vinyl-lps - it looks like I was wrong. The cut in WLL must be for royalty reasons; Dazed is on one side; and Page has reordered the setlist for the vinyl version to make it all work, moving What Is and What Should Never Be and Dancing Days earlier.

I don't know what changed between 2003 and now, but apparently something must have changed with the rights holder to "Mary Lou" (if that is indeed the bit that is cut).

Disc 1

Track
Title
1 La Drone (Live at Long Beach Arena)
2 Immigrant Song (Live at Long Beach Arena)
3 Heartbreaker (Live at Long Beach Arena)
4 Black Dog (Live at L.A. Forum)
5 Over The Hills And Far Away (Live at L.A. Forum)
6 What Is And What Should Never Be (Live at Long Beach Arena)
7 Dancing Days (Live at Long Beach Arena)

Disc 2

Track
Title
1 Since I’ve Been Loving You (Live at Long Beach Arena)
2 Stairway To Heaven (Live at Long Beach Arena)
3 Going To California (Live at Long Beach Arena)
4 That’s The Way (Live at L.A. Forum)
5 Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp (Live at Long Beach Arena)

Disc 3

Track
Title
1 Dazed And Confused (Live at L.A. Forum)
2 Moby Dick (Live at L.A. Forum)

Disc 4

Track
Title
1 Whole Lotta Love (Live at L.A. Forum)
2 Rock And Roll (Live at Long Beach Arena)
3 The Ocean (Live at L.A. Forum)
4 Bring It On Home (Live at L.A. Forum)

3 hours ago, chef free said:

Ridiculous! I'm not buying any more of this repackaging!  I bought every album on record, I bought the CD releases, the "box set", and the "deluxe" remasters! 

I have learned my lesson, only free downloaded bootlegs for me, Mr. Page has enough of my money...

If you don't think the previous round of remasters were worth it, that's on you.

I'd say maybe let's hold our breath to 2022 and just maybe there might be a 50th Anniversary for the 1972 shows...but we'd all be dead holding our breath that long.

Who knows..maybe by 2022 we'll have Amazon drone delivery and people can also buy Stem-Cell human recovery kits.

I'm really torn on this. My missus got me my first ever vinyl for Christmas - Physical Graffiti (Not even the deluxe one, just the standard double LP) as I mentioned to her it would be nice to get into vinyl but alas, an incredibly expensive hobby. She must not have heard that last bit. LOL.

So I have an LP, but no record player. But now it's begun, and I do plan on getting more. I plan on eventually getting all the Super Deluxe reissues of the studio albums over time. (I assume they will be available somewhere) So here is my chance to get my first super deluxe. Which will remain unopened (I'll also get the deluxe CD so I have something to throw on) until I also invest in some decent quality audio gear.

But really not sure. I am by no means a rich man. But I do dream of having a killer Zep collection...

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Melcórë said:

Also, Sam, I don't think the links are working--they all opened iTunes.

Hi - The links are auto-generated based on your IP address location. Some of the countries took longer to setup on Amazon etc. Let me know if it's still not working on your end.

I think something like this is a double edged sword. On the surface, it appears to be the same (minus two minutes) thing repackaged. But for the die hards, Page may bring a more authentic sound to the mix, which I would enjoy immensely. I don't even bother with HTWWW because the mix is so, I don't know, fake and overproduced. 

Then again, Page's agent might have said "Hey Jimmy, the royalties we're paying on "Hello Mary Lou" is killing us. You think we should put out a "remaster" and cut it?"

This is like the greatest live album of all time. I, for one, welcome the new remaster, and can't wait to hear it on vinyl. Can't believe all these negative comments, but I guess I'm not surprised. Some people just love to nitpick, and focus on what isn't there instead of what is there. 

5 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Hi - The links are auto-generated based on your IP address location. Some of the countries took longer to setup on Amazon etc. Let me know if it's still not working on your end.

Working now.

1 hour ago, badgeholder said:

This is like the greatest live album of all time. I, for one, welcome the new remaster, and can't wait to hear it on vinyl. Can't believe all these negative comments, but I guess I'm not surprised. Some people just love to nitpick, and focus on what isn't there instead of what is there. 

This isn't a fair assessment. The 2003 release was brick-walled and the drums clipped--maybe that's been attenuated on this release. I'd hope so. But that is not enough of an incentive for me (and others) to buy something that is musically inferior to what came before.

5 hours ago, The Only Way To Fly said:

This isn't a fair assessment. The 2003 release was brick-walled and the drums clipped--maybe that's been attenuated on this release. I'd hope so. But that is not enough of an incentive for me (and others) to buy something that is musically inferior to what came before.

+1

I agree with your general point here. But at the same time, for a $20 bill it's more than worth it to me to get 148 out of the 150 minutes (about 99%) remastered with what I am betting will be better sound than the original 2003 mastering.

I'm of course going to hold on to my DVD-A set from 2003, but it will be nice to have the new version too.

1 hour ago, pimmyjage said:

I will stick with my Winston Remaster, How The West Was Redone.

Absolutely! I suspect the new mastering will easily beat the original - but how will it stack up against Winston's? That will be the more interesting (and fun) comparison.

I’ve heard from a source close to the band that there will also be a How the North was won - full DVD version of Iceland concert and How the South was Won - a complete DVD set of their Australian tour.

he also told me that after these albums go on sale, Page will announce his solo world tour and new album.

38 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

I’ve heard from a source close to the band that there will also be a How the North was won - full DVD version of Iceland concert and How the South was Won - a complete DVD set of their Australian tour.

he also told me that after these albums go on sale, Page will announce his solo world tour and new album.

Hahaha you bloody clown 🤡 

Archived