How The West Was Won To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

sam_webmaster

1 hour ago, luvlz2 said:

Not every record store has them, but for the ones that do, they coincide and are given away when purchasing the new HTWWW.  You may or may not have to buy one of the more expensive sets to get all the swag, call around.  There is one being auctioned on ebay right now, though it's only a medium size, just type in HTWWW promo swag.

Thanks very much. 

Listening on my computer speakers, comparing both versions in MP3 format, I hear a slight difference, like the new version is a touch brighter, if you already own original not worth a remaster, unless of course you want the box set packaging, and or vinyl, that's my opinion, but who am I? In contrast I totally could tell a difference from the 1990 remasters vs. the recent STUDIO remasters

On 3/23/2018 at 2:13 PM, sam_webmaster said:

some of the promo...

promo-htwww.jpg

Off topic, but I gotta ask: I've been a fan for decades, but where does that t-shirt logo come from? I've seen it countless times throughout the years, but don't know the origin. 

21 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Off topic, but I gotta ask: I've been a fan for decades, but where does that t-shirt logo come from? I've seen it countless times throughout the years, but don't know the origin. 

It's on the back of the first album...maybe the second one, too. I don't have my albums handy at the moment. But I do remember it was promo art used in the early days of Led Zeppelin ads.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

The blimp  artwork originated in early 1969, discussed here:

The overall design of the t-shirt is from the original Concerts West crew shirt:

72_usa_concertswest_tshirt_0.jpg

Listened to the vinyl and was pleased it was available and the remastering improved the sounds from the original. The bass is clearer (not as booming as the original was) and the drums are warmer sounding. Overall production of the Super Deluxe set was well done.

46 minutes ago, drpete said:

Anyone yet compare this to How the West was REDONE? 

How the West Was Redone is of course more dynamic, being the surround mix downmixed to stereo (with some useful tweaks by Winston).

But I have to say, I prefer the new remaster - more presence, particularly Plant's voice, better bass without being overpowering like the official 2003 stereo mastering, and just more natural and organic sounding.

How the West Was Redone is more crankable of course - but the new remaster is more crankable than the official 2003 version, and the new remaster is not fatiguing at higher volumes like the 2003 version is.

I'm holding on to my copy of Redone, of course. But I do like the new official remaster the best of all the versions that are out there, official and unofficial. Just my $.02. YMMV.

I'm loving the new remaster, to me it's a big difference from the original, it's almost like hearing it for the first time. The vinyl is flawless, the CD's and the hi-res versions also sound great. Very happy with this.

I notice I'm not hearing any drama this time around as far as glitches and skips and problems with the vinyl, etc. No crying to Dr. Rhino. I guess they've taken quality control more seriously this time, and that's a good thing. (I'm sure Sam's happy about that too !)

• 3 months later...

Archived