How The West Was Won To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

sam_webmaster

20 hours ago, tmtomh said:

I agree with your general point here. But at the same time, for a $20 bill it's more than worth it to me to get 148 out of the 150 minutes (about 99%) remastered with what I am betting will be better sound than the original 2003 mastering.

I'm of course going to hold on to my DVD-A set from 2003, but it will be nice to have the new version too.

Absolutely! I suspect the new mastering will easily beat the original - but how will it stack up against Winston's? That will be the more interesting (and fun) comparison.

Hey--that was my point! :P

It's not worth it to me because I'm losing out. I might change my tune once I hear it, but we'll see. I would have gone in for the whole shebang, too...but not now.

Re: Winston's...no offence, but if it's done well, it should blow his effort--taking 5.1 audio tracks and remixing/EQing--out of the water.

On 1/24/2018 at 4:51 PM, tyler19 said:

I'm happy to get this on vinyl and hopefully an upgraded 5.1 on the Blu-ray. The 5.1 on the dvd was underwhelming.

On 1/25/2018 at 11:00 PM, tmtomh said:

I'm of course going to hold on to my DVD-A set from 2003, but it will be nice to have the new version too.

23 hours ago, JTM said:

Still no Blu-ray on Amazon.uk..

21 hours ago, zeplz71 said:

The bluray version is what I'm most looking forward to hearing.

Blu-Ray Audio - 96kHz/24 bit 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio Surround) and stereo mixes (PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo) 

So help me out here.... I have a Sony Blu-ray player, the BDP-S3700.

I have a Sony Receiver, the STR-DH550.

If I get Blu-ray, will I be able to get the 96kHz/24 bit 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio Surround) to play, or, just the PCM Stereo??

^   ^

I don't see why not.  Your player and receiver are both capable as long as you have the speaker set-up, which I'm sure you do.  If you play any blue-ray disc in your library, and the audio options of that disc show separate 5.1, DTS, and PC Stereo, your receiver should display the corresponding audio icon while it's being played.   It's my understanding that DTS is 96khz/ 24 bit.  I've got a Samsung blue-ray player that works fine, but every time I load a disc it automatically switched to pcm stereo.  I always have to change the settings on the disc menu before playing.

17 hours ago, The Rover said:

Blu-Ray Audio - 96kHz/24 bit 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio Surround) and stereo mixes (PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo) 

So help me out here.... I have a Sony Blu-ray player, the BDP-S3700.

I have a Sony Receiver, the STR-DH550.

If I get Blu-ray, will I be able to get the 96kHz/24 bit 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio Surround) to play, or, just the PCM Stereo??

If your components are hooked up with an HDMI cable, you should be good to go. Just make sure that the audio track on the disc menu is set to DTS-HD. Some discs default to PCM stereo.

1 hour ago, LordStanley said:

If your components are hooked up with an HDMI cable, you should be good to go. Just make sure that the audio track on the disc menu is set to DTS-HD. Some discs default to PCM stereo.

Thanks Lord Stanley.... I've pre-ordered my BD from Amazon today !

IMO a warts and all 2 SHOW release of both nights (sold sep). . I mean isn't this one for the complete-ist?  After having all shows worth having it's hard to go back to a 2 show mish-mash with music missing. .  

40 minutes ago, Bozoso73 said:

IMO a warts and all 2 SHOW release of both nights (sold sep). . I mean isn't this one for the complete-ist?  After having all shows worth having it's hard to go back to a 2 show mish-mash with music missing. .  

Fair point. Why not. It won't happen though

I see Dave Lewis has been defending the release on his website and having a go at all the negativity surround it.

I remember the good old days when Lewis wasn't scared to criticise Page and Lewis' Zep work wasn't his primary source of income, so he could be more objective:

There has been a tremendous amount of negative response to last week’s announcement of the forthcoming release of the How The West Was Won remastered set.

Everyone is of course entitled to their opinion and I fully respect others opinions on this matter.

However, I’d like to quantify some of my thoughts on it all – and in doing so try and bring a little reason to the table.

Firstly, this release should be viewed as a continuation of the previous remeastering of the Led Zeppelin catalogue. This is the task Jimmy initially undertook in 2013 and led to an overhaul of all the original Led Zeppelin studio albums plus the BBC Sessions.

Again working with mastering engineer John Davis, he has recently turned his attention to the How The West Was Won live set, initially released in May 2003

So rather than a 50th anniversary celebration, this release is a continuation of his previous remastering work.

As the official press release states:

Before the band’s 50th Anniversary celebration officially begins in September, Led Zeppelin will continue their reissue campaign with a new edition of their celebrated live album How The West Was Won, originally released in 2003, featuring newly remastered audio, which was done under the supervision of Jimmy Page. Details of additional Led Zeppelin 50th Anniversary releases and events will be announced later this year.

So in celebrating the 50th anniversary, there is clearly more to come -and we can only pass judgment on that when we know the full details as they are announced.

As for How the West Was Won …

Yes, it’s all been available before on CD.

Yes, it would have been great to have had some extra material on a Companion disc – such as the likes of Tangerine and Thank You which were recorded at those 1972 gigs. However, Jimmy will have had his reasons as to why that didn’t happen.

Similarly the alleged edit on the Whole Lotta Love medley – there will be reasons why.

As is more than evident from some of the negative comments, plainly this release is not for everyone and that is their choice.

What I say is this:

Rather than bemoan what we haven’t got – let’s focus on what we have got …

Firstly, a forthcoming release on vinyl of a previously unavailable Led Zeppelin album on that format.

My passion for the vinyl format is well documented so I am eagerly looking forward to that experience – as will many other vinyl devotees across the globe

Secondly, a forthcoming release of the How The West Won album in new audio formats including Blu-Ray Audio – 96kHz/24 bit 5.1 (DTS-HD Master Audio Surround) and stereo mixes (PCM Stereo and DTS-HD Master Audio Stereo plus a DVD of the album in Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround and PCM.

I am not an audio buff myself (I don’t own a Blu-Ray player) but again, many will welcome this set being made available in this way.

Also to reiterate what I said last week:

I’ve always felt that the How The West Was Won album somewhat slipped under the radar when it was initially released at the same time as the five hour official DVD back in May 2003. The focus back then was more on the merits of so much unseen footage – it was all a bit too much to take in. So this stand alone release of what might be described as the great lost live Zep album, will bring renewed attention to an amazing recording.

The time is absolutely ripe for a re assessment of this expansive live set – and what better way to do that than in this newly remastered edition on vinyl for the first time. This much welcomed 4 LP record release will be a throwback to the era of great live albums such as The Who Live At Leeds, Frampton Comes Alive, Wings Over America, ELP’s Welcome Back My Friends, Rory Gallagher Irish Tour ’74, Thin Lizzy’s Live And Dangerous etc.

This is Led Zeppelin live on stage captured during a hugely creative period. For many fans this is one of the last genuine live remnants of the band when it really was all about the music and nothing else.

To summarise:

in my opinion, this remastered How The West Was Won set is far from the rip off product being touted and trashed as such by a fair few observers out there over the past week.

It’s a brilliant live Led Zeppelin album due to be released on new formats – and call me a fool, but that to me is something to be celebrated.

In 49 days I for one will be doing so…and I don’t think I’ll be alone…

he makes some good points, the main one being this release is a continuation of the Super Deluxe Box Set releases. I guessed that elsewhere in this forum. So again, if there is to be a How the East Was Won (hoping...), it would be in the sdbs format - so it makes perfect sense to have HTWWW released in the same format first so its not the odd one out.

1 hour ago, rm2551 said:

he makes some good points, the main one being this release is a continuation of the Super Deluxe Box Set releases. I guessed that elsewhere in this forum. So again, if there is to be a How the East Was Won (hoping...), it would be in the sdbs format - so it makes perfect sense to have HTWWW released in the same format first so its not the odd one out.

It's just a lot of spin.

He refuses to criticise Page over his repeated promises to play live, or the disappointing remasters companion discs, and now this.

Lewis wrote the liner notes for the BBC live stuff and has a vested interest as the Zep stuff is his primary source of income.

Any objectivity went out the door years ago.

Read his old fanzine stuff, it's more much independent and not afraid to put the boot in when required.

22 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

It's just a lot of spin.

He refuses to criticise Page over his repeated promises to play live, or the disappointing remasters companion discs, and now this.

Lewis wrote the liner notes for the BBC live stuff and has a vested interest as the Zep stuff is his primary source of income.

Read his old fanzine stuff, it's more much independent and not afraid to put the boot in when required.

I don't totally disagree, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Zeppelin is his primary source of income, or even much of a source of income at all. 

29 minutes ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

I don't totally disagree, but correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Zeppelin is his primary source of income, or even much of a source of income at all. 

It is. He used to be a manager in some high-street music stores before they closed, and at that point he decided to go full-time with his Zep stuff.

I respect the guy and really like him for all his years of service to fans and the band, but recently he's had a blind spot on the Page front.

1 hour ago, Boleskinner said:

It is. He used to be a manager in some high-street music stores before they closed, and at that point he decided to go full-time with his Zep stuff.

I respect the guy and really like him for all his years of service to fans and the band, but recently he's had a blind spot on the Page front.

I see, thanks. 

On 1/25/2018 at 2:02 PM, Melcórë said:

This isn't a fair assessment. The 2003 release was brick-walled and the drums clipped--maybe that's been attenuated on this release. I'd hope so. 

Indeed, that was my first thought when I heard of this release. Good to see you back round the forums, man. 

6 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

It's just a lot of spin.

He refuses to criticize Page over his repeated promises to play live, or the disappointing remasters companion discs, and now this.

Dave Lewis does not own a Blu-Ray player??? He's nuts!!!

For the best Movie audio, you get the lossless "Master Audio" codec with Blu-ray releases!!!! Read about it here Dave: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTS-HD_Master_Audio

An audio "buff" spends Five Grand, or more on their audio systems. You can get a Sony blu-ray player and an HDMI receiver for $225 plus tax!!!

Just for the convenience of not having to flip or change a disc for a long movie makes a Blu-ray player worth the purchase. And I've never seen the picture freeze momentarily for a layer change on a Blu-ray disc, like I have seen on DVDs that are dual layer.

Guitar World's Editor, Brad Tolinski....... I mean you NEVER see any of the "tough" questions being asked of Page about what was left out and why, in their printed interviews fluff. Talking to Jimmy Page is like talking to John Lennon, he's only going to tell you what he wants to tell you....

Fact is.... LZ has dropped the ball on numerous occasions.

For example, TSRTS should have been a 4-album release from the get go.

Chicago had already released successfully their 4-LP live set.

LZ fanatics had to wait 30 years for this.7f860c17-9782-4976-a16d-ccf4b8c8d60d_1.b

Beautiful, isn't it

15 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

Indeed he did.

He also made a book about punters experience at The Knebworth Festivals. Ask a question:

What do you remember about Knebworth 1979?. Send your recollections to me and I will print them in a book, which I will make a few quid. Hey it beats working Dave? 

6 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

He also made a book about punters experience at The Knebworth Festivals. Ask a question:

What do you remember about Knebworth 1979?. Send your recollections to me and I will print them in a book, which I will make a few quid. Hey it beats working Dave? 

That's a bit hash, mate, but I agree the book (which I bought) was disappointing because it was largely fans anecdotes and after reading one or two, you just shrugged your shoulders and turned the page.

But Feather in the Wind was excellent, and I read Celebration to death in the early 90s in the pre-internet period when there wasn't much info on the band. 

The guy has been a good servant to the band and fans over the years and deserves respect, but in recent years he's had a blind spot on the Page front.

Archived