How The West Was Won To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

sam_webmaster

5 hours ago, Boleskinner said:

That's a bit hash, mate, but I agree the book (which I bought) was disappointing because it was largely fans anecdotes and after reading one or two, you just shrugged your shoulders and turned the page.

But Feather in the Wind was excellent, and I read Celebration to death in the early 90s in the pre-internet period when there wasn't much info on the band. 

The guy has been a good servant to the band and fans over the years and deserves respect, but in recent years he's had a blind spot on the Page front.

Well said and agreed.  I have a number of Dave Lewis' books and enjoyed them all.  Especially those released during the 1990's as those are the ones I have.  Don't have his most recent tomes on Zeppelin for no apparent reason but eventually as he his a great source for Zeppelin and always interested what he has to say on the band!  Just a matter of catching up.

I think it's a bit much and unwarranted what some are saying about the man and not fair!  He's always been a great source for Zeppelin and one you can go for as far as history etc.  He loves the band so much as all of us do.  I haven't read the latter books and can't give my opinion on those as it seems those are the ones some here have the problem with.  Until I do, I will reserve my judgement as the right thing to do. 

Perhaps, some here are being a bit extreme on the man who has not been anything less than one of the best in knowledge, lore and respect for Led Zeppelin.  I don't know how better to say this as can't exactly put it into words.  To me Dave Lewis is one of the best and appreciate everything he has done for the band by spreading the word with his prose and giving it back to us! 

3 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Well said and agreed.  I have a number of Dave Lewis' books and enjoyed them all.  Especially those released during the 1990's as those are the ones I have.  Don't have his most recent tomes on Zeppelin for no apparent reason but eventually as he his a great source for Zeppelin and always interested what he has to say on the band!  Just a matter of catching up.

I think it's a bit much and unwarranted what some are saying about the man and not fair!  He's always been a great source for Zeppelin and one you can go for as far as history etc.  He loves the band so much as all of us do.  I haven't read the latter books and can't give my opinion on those as it seems those are the ones some here have the problem with.  Until I do, I will reserve my judgement as the right thing to do. 

Perhaps, some here are being a bit extreme on the man who has not been anything less than one of the best in knowledge, lore and respect for Led Zeppelin.  I don't know how better to say this as can't exactly put it into words.  To me Dave Lewis is one of the best and appreciate everything he has done for the band by spreading the word with his prose and giving it back to us! 

Errrrr....’SuperDave’ gives Dave Lewis a wonderful write up. Forgive me for asking, but are you.............? 

Sorry I wasn't doing Mr Lewis a disservice. I have a number of his books and occasionally peruse his " Tight But Loose" site. I have contributed to his site and I think I sent a memoir of the first knebworth show.

But there is only an amount of juice you can squeeze from an Orange

3 hours ago, chillumpuffer said:

Sorry I wasn't doing Mr Lewis a disservice. I have a number of his books and occasionally peruse his " Tight But Loose" site. I have contributed to his site and I think I sent a memoir of the first knebworth show.

But there is only an amount of juice you can squeeze from an Orange

You do have a good point with the last line.  Just thought some here were being a bit harsh on him to a degree.

Dave Lewis is a good guy. So what if he's inclined to look on the bright side; he still knows his stuff and it makes a useful counterpoint to some of the glowering negativity all too often found online. Disclosure: I've written for him a fair bit, and he's never attempted to alter or censor what I wrote, even when I was dealing with Jimmy's drug/playing issues in 77.

On topic, I think the timing of this new HTWWW is unfortunate, however good the remastering ultimately proves. Everyone is buzzing about the 50th anniversary, will it be 68, 71, 75, something completely different etc, and they drop this on us as an entree, which in this context is bathetic.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2018 at 2:25 PM, KillingFloorBlues said:

The 2003 release was very brickwalled. Can a remastering actually improve the sound enough to address this? Or will the remastered version sound essentially the same?

I’m guessing an actual remix is what would be needed. 

Brickwalling generally happens in the mastering stage so yes a remaster can address that problem provided that the source mix isn’t brick walled itself 

I have confirmation that Hello Mary Lou definitely is the bit that's been cut from Whole Lotta Love.

So... Jimmy Page says in an interview that he didn't add Tangerine (or any other track from those shows) to the reissue because "I didn't want to mess with the album" - and yet he's done just that, messed with the album, by going back 15 years later and cutting out a beloved part of the Whole Lotta Love medley.

It's bad enough to cut that bit out - but it just adds insult to injury to have no new bonus material and say that's because you wanted to leave the album as it was.

36 minutes ago, tmtomh said:

I have confirmation that Hello Mary Lou definitely is the bit that's been cut from Whole Lotta Love.

So... Jimmy Page says in an interview that he didn't add Tangerine (or any other track from those shows) to the reissue because "I didn't want to mess with the album" - and yet he's done just that, messed with the album, by going back 15 years later and cutting out a beloved part of the Whole Lotta Love medley.

It's bad enough to cut that bit out - but it just adds insult to injury to have no new bonus material and say that's because you wanted to leave the album as it was.

Heard this when the remastered version was announced.  Glad I have the original cd release and most importantly "Burn That Candle" with the Thank You and Louie Louie cover.  That part of the show is so amazing and listen constantly.  I also love the Plantations that ween't edited out.  Such as the the confrontation Plant had with an audience member being quite belligerent with others.  You know what this is.  "Hey, big man, big man!"  Right before "The Ocean."  Lot of other things, even though sound quality is better overall on HTWWW, I listen to the bootleg version with no edits! :thumbsup:  One of the best audience recordings!  Was this a Mike Millard recording as I know he did the LA Forum '77 run of six nights?

1 hour ago, tmtomh said:

What an unbelievable, unbelievable shame. One of my favorite parts of the song and concert, even. Equally frustrating that nothing has been added. Hopefully the bad will be balanced by the good, which would mean a complete remediation of the "brickwalled" sound. Let this baby breathe!

36 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

What an unbelievable, unbelievable shame. One of my favorite parts of the song and concert, even. Equally frustrating that nothing has been added. Hopefully the bad will be balanced by the good, which would mean a complete remediation of the "brickwalled" sound. Let this baby breathe!

Agreed - if the sound is notably improved, I'll be happy. I don't usually get upset about these little tinkerings Page does, but this one just seems so unnecessary and pointless, with no compensatory addition of new music. Well, in John Davis' remastering we trust. :)

The question is, does this have to do more with royalties or with Jimmy wishing to make it seem like Zep did not enjoy doing covers as much as they actually did (in the early days)?

Sadly, this move likely spells bad news for any official release of Japan '71, if it ever happens. Whatever the reason for Mary Lou being gone, they'd almost certainly butcher the heck out of those WLL medleys. Unless they took the first night when it's mostly short snippets of Their songs. But Tobacco Road is the real highlight there and it would be dropped for sure. Bummer, no matter which way you look.

On 26/02/2018 at 2:45 AM, tmtomh said:

I’m really getting sick of Jimmy Page’s meddling, he’s becoming a worse retcon artist than George Lucas. If this truly is the case then I’m seriously thinking of canceling my order. So far I’ve bought all the super deluxe sets, and mostly enjoyed them. However I find it hard to justify shelling out £130 for a reduced version of an already cut and shut “live” album. It’ll be a gap in my collection but I feel the purchase would always feel tainted as a greedy rip off.

On 28/02/2018 at 5:05 AM, babysquid said:

I’m really getting sick of Jimmy Page’s meddling, he’s becoming a worse retcon artist than George Lucas. If this truly is the case then I’m seriously thinking of canceling my order. So far I’ve bought all the super deluxe sets, and mostly enjoyed them. However I find it hard to justify shelling out £130 for a reduced version of an already cut and shut “live” album. It’ll be a gap in my collection but I feel the purchase would always feel tainted as a greedy rip off.

Order Cancelled.

On 3/2/2018 at 2:30 PM, tmtomh said:

So there are new 30-second samples of the entire HTWW album up here:

https://lnk.to/HTWWWSDlx

What do folks think: Do these sound like the original mastering from 2003, or are these a taste of the new mastering on the upcoming reissue?

@sam_webmaster, do you know?

I compared those with the original and couldn't hear any difference at all.

Archived