How The West Was Won To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

sam_webmaster

24 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I compared those with the original and couldn't hear any difference at all.

I initially thought they were different, but the more I listen, the more I too feel they're the old mastering.

I also would be surprised if they were the new mastering, up online before Amazon and iTunes have their samples up. Now, when Amazon and iTunes samples show up, I am confident that those will indeed be the new mastering.

Okay, so Jimmy Page doesn't want to part with the extra pennies to keep "Hello Mary Lou" in the medley, or heaven forbid, restore the medley to its full length by including "Slow Down" and "Heartbreak Hotel". I dream of having "Slow Down" in official release sound quality...it's a super blast of primal rock 'n' roll that would surprise the kids who think of Led Zeppelin as being pompous and boring. But I guess that's never going to happen...nor the restoration of the full encores.

But it would be nice if Jimmy could restore one thing for this remaster...get rid of that mellotron overdub and restore John Paul Jone's organ to its rightful place in "Stairway to Heaven". There are two reasons "Stairway" is fun to listen to on the 1971 and 1972 tours...1) the song is so new the audience doesn't overwhelm the beginning of the song; and 2) John Paul's use of the organ gives the song a ghostly, church choral vibe that is unique compared to the later mellotron versions.

Bring back the organ the way I heard it on that 1972 tour!

On 3/6/2018 at 5:47 PM, Strider said:

Okay, so Jimmy Page doesn't want to part with the extra pennies to keep "Hello Mary Lou" in the medley, or heaven forbid, restore the medley to its full length by including "Slow Down" and "Heartbreak Hotel". I dream of having "Slow Down" in official release sound quality...it's a super blast of primal rock 'n' roll that would surprise the kids who think of Led Zeppelin as being pompous and boring. But I guess that's never going to happen...nor the restoration of the full encores.

But it would be nice if Jimmy could restore one thing for this remaster...get rid of that mellotron overdub and restore John Paul Jone's organ to its rightful place in "Stairway to Heaven". There are two reasons "Stairway" is fun to listen to on the 1971 and 1972 tours...1) the song is so new the audience doesn't overwhelm the beginning of the song; and 2) John Paul's use of the organ gives the song a ghostly, church choral vibe that is unique compared to the later mellotron versions.

Bring back the organ the way I heard it on that 1972 tour!

If, the royalties were other than a standard fee, and were negotiable, maybe the they held out to try and get an "unusual" amount this time around...

My CD version of this is in fine shape from the early 2000's.  I have no reason whatsoever to spend $100 USD on the same thing but on vinyl.  If it had more tunes than on the original it would be different story, but I likely would buy the CD.  Others have said this here before, but this release certainly is a matter of Page just wanting to get the whole catalogue on vinyl and the house in order before he releases the new stuff. This release actually seems rushed to  me given the pace of all the other promotional stuff over the past few years.

Honestly, to me modern live shows which have been heavily digitally edited on vinyl vs. digital/cd are not as profoundly different or benefit from the format to my ear as a studio recording on vinyl vs. digital/cd does.   I am sure that this idea has been discussed here before, but for modern versions of live shows I am usually happy with a cd or download. 

22 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Isn't it strange that there aren't any samples from this yet? I mean, the album is done and ready to roll out, you'd think there would be some songs released to promote it a little.

I was thinking the same thing. Where is all the promotional stuff. The release date is 10 days away. Wasn't the promotional stuff for previous reissues out weeks before their release dates?

54 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

Isn't it strange that there aren't any samples from this yet? I mean, the album is done and ready to roll out, you'd think there would be some songs released to promote it a little.

There will be a special "Hello Mary Lou" available only as a download the night before the release. 😜

36 minutes ago, timothy5151 said:

I was thinking the same thing. Where is all the promotional stuff. The release date is 10 days away. Wasn't the promotional stuff for previous reissues out weeks before their release dates?

Maybe they’re saving their pennies / shillings for the 50th Anniversary related promotional materials.

R😎

40 minutes ago, gibsonfan159 said:

So Dave Lewis mentioned he got an advanced copy, but didn't give any info on the remaster. Hope that's not a bad sign.

IMG_8528.jpg

Dave has written about his LP advance copy on his website.

http://www.tightbutloose.co.uk/tbl-news/how-the-west-was-won-the-countdown-is-on-john-bonham-youtube-questions-lz-news-coverdale-page-25-years-gone-jimi-hendrix-new-album-dl-diary-blog-update/

13 minutes ago, The Rover said:

I saw that, but he doesn't really mention anything about the newly remastered sound or makes any comparisons to the original. Maybe he's giving it a thorough listen first.

I can't really imagine how different the new version can be with the remaster as the sound was good on the original.  The sound will be improved I guess but there is nothing additional on it. It will be shorter with the removal of Ricky Nelson's "Hello, Mary Lou: from the WLL medley.  Too bad as it's such a great version.  Won't be getting this as I've gotten all the previous box sets.  No reason to get it unfortunately.

53 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

I can't really imagine how different the new version can be with the remaster as the sound was good on the original.  The sound will be improved I guess but there is nothing additional on it. It will be shorter with the removal of Ricky Nelson's "Hello, Mary Lou: from the WLL medley.  Too bad as it's such a great version.  Won't be getting this as I've gotten all the previous box sets.  No reason to get it unfortunately.

Agreed. I’ll probably just get the blu ray for the 5.1 mix this go round.

R😎

On 3/4/2018 at 7:30 PM, tmtomh said:

I initially thought they were different, but the more I listen, the more I too feel they're the old mastering.

I also would be surprised if they were the new mastering, up online before Amazon and iTunes have their samples up. Now, when Amazon and iTunes samples show up, I am confident that those will indeed be the new mastering.

Can anyone even find the digital pre-order? I can't. Amazon's app isn't even showing the album.

6 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I saw that, but he doesn't really mention anything about the newly remastered sound or makes any comparisons to the original. Maybe he's giving it a thorough listen first.

It is what it is. Dave admits that he's *not* an audiophile, so take away from that what you like... I'm not gonna trust anyone's ears but mine.

2 hours ago, gibsonfan159 said:

I just want a reason to buy it lol. 

I'm buying it for convenience -- Everything on one disc. Making anything 5.1 that's truly great is quite a task of art and science.

I never bought the HTWWW on the first go round. I bought the DVD instead.

I did have a tic against the 1972 Tour, as they did not make a stop in Dallas in '72, which had almost never been missed before... I mean, after the 1971 show, I pre-ordered tickets for "the next Led Zeppelin concert" through Preston Ticket Agency.... and had to wait near 2 years for the tickets to arrive... for the '73 show. Good seats though for the '73 show... 3rd row back... all before the Rainbow Ticketmaster Takeover, which came into effect by 1975. They returned my post 1973 show request for tickets, unfulfilled, early in '75.

two things with Dave Lewis, although he pretty much admits to them both. firstly, he isn't an audiophile for sure. the last picture he posted of his music set up he was using a USB turntable which in my experience are mostly shit. secondly, if Zeppelin released an album of them farting he'd find something positive in it, so he wouldn't say if he didn't think there was any improvement in the mastering

my copy arrives on Monday and im looking forward to it as I was disappointed it wasn't released on vinyl the first time around

Archived