Jump to content
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
sam_webmaster

How The West Was Won To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

Recommended Posts

Compared it to my DVD from 2003; not a great difference. Ever so sightly more bass and the drums sound a little fuller. (probably equalized during mastering) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sixpense said:

Compared it to my DVD from 2003; not a great difference. Ever so sightly more bass and the drums sound a little fuller. (probably equalized during mastering) 

Well more bass is good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the YouTube promoting the recent THOR movie, I thought the sound I heard with IS was fantastic... maybe the best sounding version of the studio version. I'd like all Zeppelin tracks to sound that good. The song really kicks in at about :37

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick...when was the last time you listened to HTWWW? How many of you listen to "Burn That Candle" (or whatever your title of choice for 6.25.72) more often than HTWWW?

How many of you listen to the RAH 1.9.70 DVD more often than HTWWW?

I understand why Jimmy wants to release HTWWW again to get the catalogue uniformly in order. But if there is a show that is begging for a vinyl release it is the 1970 Royal Albert Hall. It would sound sensational on vinyl! I have to think this will be one of the 50th anniversary releases after September comes.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Strider said:

But if there is a show that is begging for a vinyl release it is the 1970 Royal Albert Hall. It would sound sensational on vinyl!

Indeed.  The sound is amazing, especially the drums.  And Plant is so incredible - what a range!  Great set list and a stellar performance.  The rock and roll covers are icing on the cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Strider said:

Quick...when was the last time you listened to HTWWW? How many of you listen to "Burn That Candle" (or whatever your title of choice for 6.25.72) more often than HTWWW?

How many of you listen to the RAH 1.9.70 DVD more often than HTWWW?

I understand why Jimmy wants to release HTWWW again to get the catalogue uniformly in order. But if there is a show that is begging for a vinyl release it is the 1970 Royal Albert Hall. It would sound sensational on vinyl! I have to think this will be one of the 50th anniversary releases after September comes.

 

Exactly. RAH ‘70 most likely will be one of the 50th celebration releases at some point. It was also JP’s birthday, so why not?  

R😎🎸👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/17/2018 at 12:33 AM, ZepHead315 said:

Looks as though Immigrant Song from the remaster has just been uploaded. Thoughts?

 

Awesome. Can't wait to get home and compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is hard to tell by listening to a YouTube clip.  It seems a bit better, but the real test will be when I can compare the actual discs side by side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, John M said:

Indeed.  The sound is amazing, especially the drums.  And Plant is so incredible - what a range!  Great set list and a stellar performance.  The rock and roll covers are icing on the cake.

I totally agree! But fear most of those covers are going to be left on the cutting room floor. I seem to remember a pretty nice bootleg box set being available from this show. Four LP's and I think it came with a DVD too. If you want the entire gig on vinyl, that's where I'd start.

Any official release of this show will be heavily edited just like all the others. : ( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit pricey. It cost more than the vinyl versions of TSRTS, Mothership and Celebration Day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, jsj said:

Bit pricey. It cost more than the vinyl versions of TSRTS, Mothership and Celebration Day

Based on the fidelity of that YouTube post I can't see any good reason to buy this release. The novelty of owning it on vinyl isn't enough , it would have to be sonically superior to the digital versions and I doubt they did a dedicated mastering for vinyl. It's most likely a CD sound on vinyl. Is the artwork anything special? This release seems like such a waste. 

Edited by porgie66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The artwork is very simple, too simple. Each disc sleeve just has a variety of filters of the front cover image and song titles on the rear. There is a two 12"  page insert; again same image on the front, a two page spread of a group shot and four smaller individual shots, all in black and white, and song info on the rear.

So what we have here's is six versions of the front cover,. That's Pretty poor imagination

im not too fussed about having booklets included, I read them once and that's it. Nor stickers and gimmicks,. But if there is to be something included at least put some effort into it. 

Im happy to have it on vinyl and I'll play it more as a result. But £80? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two more days to go.

Some last-minute thoughts:

I've noticed tons of used HTWWW floooding the used cd section lately. It seems to me that if you never got HTWWW now is a good time to pick up a set for $8 or $9 as this is the only edition that will still have "Hello Mary Lou" and whatever else Jimmy edited out in the new remaster.

No matter how good the new remaster sounds, the bootleg is still going to be my first choice whenever I am in the mood to listen to June 25, 1972. So I will probably wait until a nice used copy appears in the shops before getting the super deluxe box. I'll get the cd version to play at work or on my commutes from time to time, but there's no hurry. My original HTWWW or "Burn That Candle" or "California Beach Party" will suffice just fine.

I'm more focused on what's coming out later in the year for the 50th anniversary. That's what I'm saving my March Madness winnings for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming out on Friday... still seems weird... after so so many years of Tuesday release dates...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, The Rover said:

Coming out on Friday... still seems weird... after so so many years of Tuesday release dates...

It seems like forever since music release dates changed (from Monday here in the UK).  I still haven't decided whether we are now getting new stuff three days earlier or four days later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Rover said:

Coming out on Friday... still seems weird... after so so many years of Tuesday release dates...

I have just the Bluray audio coming for now...but at the moment Amazon says I won't get it until Wednesday, and yes I have Prime. If I were to order the super deluxe today, it would arrive Tuesday.

Weird, right? In September, I got Gilmour's Live in Pompeii the day before it was released...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pujols05 said:

I have just the Bluray audio coming for now...but at the moment Amazon says I won't get it until Wednesday, and yes I have Prime. If I were to order the super deluxe today, it would arrive Tuesday.

Weird, right? In September, I got Gilmour's Live in Pompeii the day before it was released...

Same here. I Wonder why the delay, as it’s not Christmas season rush or anything ? 

R😎

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, reids said:

Same here. I Wonder why the delay, as it’s not Christmas season rush or anything ? 

R😎

Misery loves company, eh? *Perhaps* once it's actually shipped it will update to arriving on release date...but not really planning on it. . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Strider said:

 

No matter how good the new remaster sounds, the bootleg is still going to be my first choice whenever I am in the mood to listen to June 25, 1972

"How The West Was Redone Again" is the way to go IMO. Like you, I'll just wait a couple years and pick the remaster up on eBay. And I'd rather spend the money on the official photo book anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, pujols05 said:

Misery loves company, eh? *Perhaps* once it's actually shipped it will update to arriving on release date...but not really planning on it. . 

Hope that’s the case, too. All the best!!! 

R😎

Edited by reids

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for anyone thinking of getting the vinyl set straight away, I'd suggest waiting a month or two to see if the price reduces, as often happens. if id have thought to check the price before I ordered it at my local vinyl shop, I'd have done the same. I haven't done a contrast against the original cd as I stored all my cds away. its nice to have it on vinyl but having paid 380 for it I wish id waited now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jsj said:

for anyone thinking of getting the vinyl set straight away, I'd suggest waiting a month or two to see if the price reduces, as often happens. if id have thought to check the price before I ordered it at my local vinyl shop, I'd have done the same. I haven't done a contrast against the original cd as I stored all my cds away. its nice to have it on vinyl but having paid 380 for it I wish id waited now

Lowest I've seen it is here for 116.99£ but I am going to wait, the first few batches usually have some defects too.

https://www.emp.co.uk/p/how-the-west-was-won/377095.html?adc=uk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlNCYsYKA2gIVZZPtCh22SA8kEAQYBCABEgIaNvD_BwE&wt_mc=mp.google.Media.LedZeppelin.3CD_4-LP_DVD.CD.377095

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

stairway, is that for the full deluxe box set or just the 4 vinyl set?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×