How The West Was Won To Be Reissued With New Remastering Supervised By Jimmy Page

sam_webmaster

5 hours ago, pujols05 said:

I have just the Bluray audio coming for now...but at the moment Amazon says I won't get it until Wednesday, and yes I have Prime. If I were to order the super deluxe today, it would arrive Tuesday.

Weird, right? In September, I got Gilmour's Live in Pompeii the day before it was released...

5 hours ago, reids said:

Same here. I Wonder why the delay, as it’s not Christmas season rush or anything ? 

R😎

5 hours ago, pujols05 said:

Misery loves company, eh? *Perhaps* once it's actually shipped it will update to arriving on release date...but not really planning on it. . 

I think that I will try to *not* read any reviews of the Blu-ray, that others may indeed get before Amazon delivers mine, and I have a chance to listen to it. I really don't want to prejudice my first listening and first impressions with anyone else's reviews, good or bad or otherwise.

53 minutes ago, The Rover said:

I think that I will try to *not* read any reviews of the Blu-ray, that others may indeed get before Amazon delivers mine, and I have a chance to listen to it. I really don't want to prejudice my first listening and first impressions with anyone else's reviews, good or bad or otherwise.

Good idea. I think I’ll do the same.

R😎👍

22 hours ago, Strider said:

Two more days to go.

Some last-minute thoughts:

I've noticed tons of used HTWWW floooding the used cd section lately. It seems to me that if you never got HTWWW now is a good time to pick up a set for $8 or $9 as this is the only edition that will still have "Hello Mary Lou" and whatever else Jimmy edited out in the new remaster.

No matter how good the new remaster sounds, the bootleg is still going to be my first choice whenever I am in the mood to listen to June 25, 1972. So I will probably wait until a nice used copy appears in the shops before getting the super deluxe box. I'll get the cd version to play at work or on my commutes from time to time, but there's no hurry. My original HTWWW or "Burn That Candle" or "California Beach Party" will suffice just fine.

I'm more focused on what's coming out later in the year for the 50th anniversary. That's what I'm saving my March Madness winnings for.

Even though I do like HTWWW release as the sound is better than the bootleg version, I prefer Burn That Candle as well as it's a good audience recording and has everything intact.  With every song and all the Plantations.  It just has a great raw sound.  I probably listen to the Louie, Louie/Thank You medley as well as the WLL medley most of all.  Just love these two.  Was so disappointed that Heartbreak Hotel and Slow Down were left off as such incredible versions.  Will not be getting the remastered version as seems like a waste of money.  I won't listen to it.  Just for completists.  Those getting this better off with original as nothing else edited like the new version is and the photo book.  No benefit to it otherwise.

18 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

.  Will not be getting the remastered version as seems like a waste of money.  I won't listen to it.  Just for completists.  Those getting this better off with original as nothing else edited like the new version is and the photo book.  No benefit to it otherwise.

I disagree a little. The remaster is less compressed and has a little more natural sound. I won't "buy" it (hehe), but I'd tell anyone that doesn't have either version to get the remaster, and if they want "Hello Mary Lou", get the boot and the entire show. So the original 03 release is actually the useless version to me.

The vinyl sounds nice, less compressed.

but we have a similar deal as the two TSRTS  releases. Each is better in different ways but neither is the complete deal, so we still need both. I think I may have to buy Candle on vinyl to make it a trio. Bananas 

Has anyone noticed if "Dazed and Confused" has been edited or is shorter than the original release? Or any other tracks shorter time than the original HTWWW?

I'm guessing the songs will be out of order or split over two sides for the vinyl edition. Wish he would give us the entire Drone intro they used for the show.

4 hours ago, SuperDave said:

Even though I do like HTWWW release as the sound is better than the bootleg version, I prefer Burn That Candle as well as it's a good audience recording and has everything intact.  With every song and all the Plantations.  It just has a great raw sound.  I probably listen to the Louie, Louie/Thank You medley as well as the WLL medley most of all.  Just love these two.  Was so disappointed that Heartbreak Hotel and Slow Down were left off as such incredible versions.  Will not be getting the remastered version as seems like a waste of money.  I won't listen to it.  Just for completists.  Those getting this better off with original as nothing else edited like the new version is and the photo book.  No benefit to it otherwise.

My bootleg ears are terrible. I’ve tried with Burn that Candle and I just can’t tolerate it, even though most people say it’s a good recording. Shame for me really

2 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

My bootleg ears are terrible. I’ve tried with Burn that Candle and I just can’t tolerate it, even though most people say it’s a good recording. Shame for me really

I'm the same.

Back in the 1990s when I went to Record Fairs I would only purchase SBs.

The only audience recordings I can listen to are Millard's LA stuff and the 79 Copenhagen warm-ups.

36 minutes ago, Boleskinner said:

I'm the same.

Back in the 1990s when I went to Record Fairs I would only purchase SBs.

The only audience recordings I can listen to are Millard's LA stuff and the 79 Copenhagen warm-ups.

Ditto. Plus I listen to the Eat a Peach Blueberry Hill recording a fair bit (just about makes the cut for me in terms of quality). Oh, and one of the Seattle 73 recordings is really good (can’t remember which). Even Freezers tapes and the Seattle 21.3.75 audience tape I can’t abide. I wish I could but I just can’t. 

20 hours ago, Strider said:

Has anyone noticed if "Dazed and Confused" has been edited or is shorter than the original release? Or any other tracks shorter time than the original HTWWW?

I'm guessing the songs will be out of order or split over two sides for the vinyl edition. Wish he would give us the entire Drone intro they used for the show.

Nothing is edited aside from the 2-minute Mary Lou medley segment in Whole Lotta Love. And nothing is split over two vinyl sides. The vinyl running order was changed: What Is and What Should Never Be and Dancing Days were moved before Dazed and Confused, to enable the three epics (Dazed, Moby Dick, Whole Lotta Love) to each get a side of their own (Sides 5, 6, and 7). At 25-1/2 minutes Dazed is a little long for a single size of vinyl, but I think the original Song Remains the Same vinyl put a one minute longer Dazed on a single side, and no one complained. :)

It's the Super Deluxe. Both the SD and the vinyl use the same design and same size box (although the SD box might be a little deeper/thicker). The easiest way to tell the difference in a photo is that the SD has a larger red sticker on the bottom-right (because it has to list more stuff).

8 hours ago, tmtomh said:

It's the Super Deluxe. Both the SD and the vinyl use the same design and same size box (although the SD box might be a little deeper/thicker). The easiest way to tell the difference in a photo is that the SD has a larger red sticker on the bottom-right (because it has to list more stuff).

That's what I suspected.

Wondering if the book in the SD is hardcover or a "paperback" like BBC sessions...

It's much nicer to hear on vinyl than the original nasty sounding cd version. 

If Jimmy had have got it right the first time, we wouldnt have to buy it again, minus Hello Nary Lou.

Very true!

Although in 2003 there never would have been a vinyl version, no matter what, especially not a release that would require 4 LPs. The vinyl revival only really began around 2007 (which is why the 2007 expanded/redone The Song Remains the Same soundtrack had a 4-LP release half-speed mastered by Stan Ricker).

32 minutes ago, paplbojo said:

Yeah, how does one get that shirt?

Not every record store has them, but for the ones that do, they coincide and are given away when purchasing the new HTWWW.  You may or may not have to buy one of the more expensive sets to get all the swag, call around.  There is one being auctioned on ebay right now, though it's only a medium size, just type in HTWWW promo swag.

Archived